Notices
Acura Integra Type-R All Integra Type R Discussions

Timing Belt: How loose is loose?

Search this Thread

Old 01-29-2006, 07:56 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Timing Belt: How loose is loose?

How do you know if a timing belt is too tight or too loose?
Old 01-29-2006, 09:21 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Re: Timing Belt: How loose is loose? (migs)

too tight = whining noise
too loose = flapping noise

do this...
set the motor @ TDC. loosen the tensioner. rotate the motor 3 teeth counter clockwise. tighten the tensioner.

that's it.
it's not a question of how tight is tight. honda doesn't give a spec for belt tension on the t-belt. just do the OE procedure as outlined by honda, and you won't have problems. i can't remember the last time i checked a belt to see if it was "tight enough", because i DON'T check them. i just do the procedure above.

good luck.
Old 01-29-2006, 10:04 PM
Paragraph Alert

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Re: Timing Belt: How loose is loose? (Mike K)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Mike K &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">
honda doesn't give a spec for belt tension on the t-belt.

</TD></TR></TABLE>

That's incorrect. I don't have the helms with me to quote off the numbers but I know for a fact that it gives a timing belt tension belt deflection value.
Old 01-29-2006, 10:46 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i did it as per helms method, i can still see the belt flapping a bit on the exhaust side, and not at all on the intake side. i'm thinking i should try 4 teeth instead of 3
Old 01-29-2006, 11:52 PM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Mike K &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">too tight = whining noise
too loose = flapping noise

do this...
set the motor @ TDC. loosen the tensioner. rotate the motor 3 teeth counter clockwise. tighten the tensioner.

that's it.
it's not a question of how tight is tight. honda doesn't give a spec for belt tension on the t-belt. just do the OE procedure as outlined by honda, and you won't have problems. i can't remember the last time i checked a belt to see if it was "tight enough", because i DON'T check them. i just do the procedure above.

good luck.</TD></TR></TABLE>

Works good on a stock motor yes, but it may turn out a bit loose on a motor with aggressive cams/valvetrain.
Old 01-30-2006, 09:09 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Re: Timing Belt: How loose is loose? (Pondus)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Pondus &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

Works good on a stock motor yes, but it may turn out a bit loose on a motor with aggressive cams/valvetrain. </TD></TR></TABLE>

This is true.

And I work with damn near zero deflection. The tensioner spring age can be a variable too.....

Get rid of the flap with a hot motor and you're straight. No more slack on one side than the other please!
Old 01-30-2006, 09:34 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

for those of us that dont have the tensioner spring, just rotate 3 teeth and give a snug pull on the tensioner and tighten the tensioner bolt.

if its loose, youll know. ask ebelp how loose his was, could slide it off the cam gears and it never gave him a problem (not yet anyway knock on wood, tighten that **** john!)

isnt there a general rule for belt deflection?? the Helms for the R says nothing a bout it, but I think my civic helms says something like 1/4-1/2" deflection is within spec, IIRC.
Old 01-30-2006, 09:35 AM
cool guy name

Default Re: Timing Belt: How loose is loose? (Black R)

Good info!

I make sure, like Black R, that there is even slack on both sides. I make sure I see no flapping and hear no whining. Only thing that pisses me off is that you have to put everything back together to see if its right!! I've been on point everytime I've done it though.
Old 01-30-2006, 10:23 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (RTW DC2R)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by RTW DC2R &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">... ask ebelp how loose his was, could slide it off the cam gears and it never gave him a problem....</TD></TR></TABLE>

Yeah I would tighten that bitch asap. Mine was very loose (you could almost slide it off the cams) and I ended up jumping a tooth on the intake and bent almost all my intake valves

This might have been helped due to spec B's and toda springs.
Old 01-30-2006, 01:19 PM

Default Re: (AssPenny)

it should have less then an inch of play in the front and very little play in the rear....facing the car. Make sure it isn't to tight, cuase you might damage the waterpump and belt. To loose you will skip teeth or jump off the cam gears.
Old 01-31-2006, 12:34 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Timing Belt: How loose is loose? (migs)

Mike,

If this is in reference to the beast, the Blitz headgasket made everything just that much tighter, everything is still within spec though so please don't be alarmed.