Notices
Acura Integra Type-R All Integra Type R Discussions

Synthetic oil to Synthetic blend? bad idea?

Old 03-21-2007, 12:13 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Synthetic oil to Synthetic blend? bad idea?

i always ran mobil1 5W 30 in my car. and it burns..
so i switched to castrol syntec.
and i just wanted to give it a try on Quaker State's High rpm oil which is Synthetic blend .
i don't think there would be any problem but.. just wanted to see what others think

what do u guys think?
Old 03-21-2007, 12:52 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Synthetic oil to Synthetic blend? bad idea? (itr1244)

since it seems like nobody knows.. i will let you guys know if anything goes wrong. lol
Old 03-21-2007, 12:59 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: Synthetic oil to Synthetic blend? bad idea? (itr1244)

no big problem with switching between oils.

Yes, some oils are better than others, however no issues that I have found from switching between oils.
Old 03-21-2007, 01:04 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Only problem I have ever seen switching oils is long time conventional, then to synthetic say at 100k. Synthetic is more "slippery" and can cause oil leaks that didn't exist before. However, going from Syn to Conv. you should be ok.

HTH.
Old 03-21-2007, 01:38 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (Dave_B)

yeahh i guess that makes sense ..

Old 03-21-2007, 01:50 PM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Dave_B &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Only problem I have ever seen switching oils is long time conventional, then to synthetic say at 100k. Synthetic is more "slippery" and can cause oil leaks that didn't exist before. However, going from Syn to Conv. you should be ok.

HTH.</TD></TR></TABLE>

synthetic is not more slippery, things like hths, oil weight will determine how fast its going to disappear, if that was the case you'd never see them cheap blends to begin with. all oils for gasoline engines are made compatible with one another at least everything epa approved.

if you're going to use mixed stuff, might as well stick with conventional. its really better to use synthetic cause its able to take more beating and for longer time! unless you drive mild change oil on regular basis then conventional will be fine..

Old 03-21-2007, 03:02 PM
H-T Order of Merit

Default Re: (vtec.dc2)

Yes, you can switch back and forth between synthetic, and blends, and conventional oil without any problems. Those stories about oils "causing" problems are just old wives tales (the real culprit is accumulated sludge in poorly-maintained engines, not the oil you use).

However, if you use a blend or conventional oil, you just won't get the benefits of full synthetic oil (greater resistance to breakdown when hot, better flow characteristics when cold). That's all.

If you think those benefits are worth it, use synthetic. If not, don't. If you want to switch, you can do that any time you like, no problem.
Old 03-21-2007, 06:39 PM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by vtec.dc2 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

synthetic is not more slippery, things like hths, oil weight will determine how fast its going to disappear, if that was the case you'd never see them cheap blends to begin with. all oils for gasoline engines are made compatible with one another at least everything epa approved.
</TD></TR></TABLE>

Explain to me why synthetic oil would get past a seal that conventional wouldn't. Maybe slippery isn't the right term, but it will sneak past seals that are older (not necessarily leaking) whereas the conventional has held up for years. Trust me, I've seen it happen on more than several occasions. Sure you'd still see the cheap blends, it's a marketing gemic (sp)
Old 03-21-2007, 07:36 PM
H-T Order of Merit

It doesn't get past seals. It can get past built-up sludge. But so can conventional oil.
Old 04-04-2007, 11:40 AM

Default Re: (nsxtasy)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by nsxtasy &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">However, if you use a blend or conventional oil, you just won't get the benefits of full synthetic oil (greater resistance to breakdown when hot, better flow characteristics when cold). That's all.</TD></TR></TABLE>

Is there any benefit to using blended oil? I switched to Castrol Syntec Blend 2 oil changes ago, then to Mobil's Clean 5000 blend last oil change, don't know if I should stick with blended or not...I was burning more with synthetic(10w30) and hardly any with the blended (5w30)...I hear oil is oil but just wondering
Old 04-04-2007, 11:51 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (leeminho86)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by leeminho86 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

Is there any benefit to using blended oil? I switched to Castrol Syntec Blend 2 oil changes ago, then to Mobil's Clean 5000 blend last oil change, don't know if I should stick with blended or not...I was burning more with synthetic(10w30) and hardly any with the blended (5w30)...I hear oil is oil but just wondering </TD></TR></TABLE>

just becuaes its 5w30, doesn't mean its goign to work same as other brands. if you don't mind changing oil often enough, use cheap conventional. i do'nt see benefits of using half/half although it wil work, the other half is inferior to synthetic... i used to use convetional, but now synthetic on every car, even if i do'nt beat on the car, i can extend the oil changes and protection.

there are ton of debates inside FAQ, i just try to stay away from energy concerving oils, and mobile has the worst for HTHS.. for regular driving i use whatever 5w30.. for hard driving and my ride is boosted i use from 5w40 to 20w50 synthetic, sometimes mobil 15w50 but its been different lately

synthetic vs conventioal isn't goign to decide or stop from leaks.. thats just it. that problem is beyong oil.
Old 04-04-2007, 12:44 PM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by vtec.dc2 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

just becuaes its 5w30, doesn't mean its goign to work same as other brands. if you don't mind changing oil often enough, use cheap conventional. i do'nt see benefits of using half/half although it wil work, the other half is inferior to synthetic... i used to use convetional, but now synthetic on every car, even if i do'nt beat on the car, i can extend the oil changes and protection.
</TD></TR></TABLE>

One of the main reasons I will ALWAYS use synthetic (after 10k miles on a new car/engine) is if for some reason you loose all oil, synthetic will still lubricate the engine to a point (read... NO OIL PRESSURE, BUT THE RESIDUALS LEFT OVER) There will be less or no damage (provided you read the idiot light on the dash) and you shut the car down in a timely fashion. Conventional can't/won't do that. A car can still run for a short period of time with NO oil when using synthetic. That old Mobil 1 commercial isn't 100% truthful but you will have better chances should you have oil loss with the Synthetic.
Old 04-04-2007, 06:01 PM

Maybe its just my imagination, but my engine seemed to make more noise when I was using mobil 1 than 5 W 30 conventional oil. Kind of worried me so I switched back and no probs.