Notices
Acura Integra Type-R All Integra Type R Discussions

RE's in the snow?? or reccomendations for snow tires.

Search this Thread

Old 10-30-2003, 09:36 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE's in the snow?? or reccomendations for snow tires.

Ok guys.. It started snowing here today and azenis and 440lb rates=not fun..

So I head down to the local tire distributor (BIG O) and get a quote for some snow tires..

125ea....gah, so basically my race tires are cheaper than my snowtires..this doesn't make sense

I still have my stock Re's available, and the snow isn't really sticking to the ground....yet. So I wonder how they would fare in the snow? I drive very cautiously, and am looking @picking up a winter beater to drive instead. unless I can find some fairly cheap snow/allseasons.

Basically what Im getting @is..

what are you R owners who are damned by winter running? and has anyone driven on there RE's in the snow?

TIA.
Old 10-30-2003, 09:45 AM
Honda-Tech Member

do NOT use the RE010's on the snow. DO NOT. I have NEVER had a worse experience in the snow before. I could not get up my driveway with slush, I had to get out rock salt and put some under each of the tires and i barely got up. its probably not even 15 degrees. Get some snow tires. Besides, the snow tires will last you a long times, its not like your using it constantly.
Old 10-30-2003, 09:51 AM
Trial User

Default Re: RE's in the snow?? or reccomendations for snow tires. (DsR)

RE010s are scary to drive on when the temp gets below 40 on dry roads!! I would not even think about trying to use them in snow. It could end up being a bad day for your R.

I run Dunlop SP5000s for the winter, but when I need a new set I'll get dedicated snow tires!!

Check tirerack, I think they had some kumho wintere tires for $46.
Old 10-30-2003, 09:54 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: RE's in the snow?? or reccomendations for snow tires. (StageOne)

Ok...then, looks like some RE's w/less than 3k on them are up for sale..how much would you all ask for them??
https://honda-tech.com/zerothread?id=663812

I can't find those $40 Kumho's...but I did find some $70 Dunlops..

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/...1=yes

anyone find any other cheaper tires?

Modified by DsR at 12:28 PM 10/30/2003
Old 10-30-2003, 10:34 AM
H-T Order of Merit

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Basically, winter tires fall into two categories:

1. Winter tires that are the absolute best on snow and ice, but whose ride characteristics on the highway in moderate temperatures are somewhat mushy. These tires are typically around $80/tire and include the Bridgestone Blizzak WS-50 and the Michelin Arctic Alpin.

2. Winter tires that are good on snow and ice, and whose ride characteristics on the highway in moderate temperatures are still quite good. These tires are typically around $110/tire and include the Bridgestone Blizzak LM-22 and the Michelin Pilot Alpin.

All four of the winter tires mentioned above are available in the stock ITR size of 195/55-15. Current Tire Rack prices are:

Category 1
Bridgestone Blizzak WS-50 $86
Michelin Arctic Alpin $73 ($83 less $10/tire rebate when buying a set of four)

Category 2
Bridgestone Blizzak LM-22 $113
Michelin Pilot Alpin $94 ($104 less $10/tire rebate when buying a set of four)

I think category 1 is better for those in harsh winter areas like Chicago, Detroit, Toronto, and Boston, while category 2 might be more suitable for those in St. Louis, Cincinnati, Washington DC, and New York.

$73/tire for the Arctic Alpin is awesome...
Old 10-30-2003, 10:39 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: RE's in the snow?? or reccomendations for snow tires. (nsxtasy)

Thanks...that clears things up a bit..

basically I have dedicated race tires...(azenis). and now dedicated snow tires...

It would be nice to have something in the middle, but I can't justify paying the extra cash for better *ride* when all I want them to do is keep me from getting stuck..

So I think Im going to go w/the Dunlop I posted above. and sell my Re's. How much would you ask for Re's btw? (these tires have less than 3k on them, and are basically brand new.)
Old 10-30-2003, 10:41 AM
Honda-Tech Member

What everyone else said is true.

RE-010 in the snow = not possible. Just like falkens. you don't get anywhere fast, or slow, you go nowhere.
Old 10-30-2003, 10:41 AM
H-T Order of Merit

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by DsR &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">How much would you ask for Re's btw? (these tires have less than 3k on them, and are basically brand new.)</TD></TR></TABLE>

I see you have them listed as "$300 obo". I think that's a good asking price. See what offers you get.
Old 10-30-2003, 10:46 AM
Honda-Tech Member

hrm...I was rethinking what you said about the category 1 and 2 tire..

We don't get extreme snow/ice here. so I would probobly be better off going w/a all season tire, instead of dedicated snow.

but the only way I could justify paying more is if the allseason lasts longer..handling is not my concern, since I have the azenis.

Can you tell me where to find the treadwear rating for each tire on tirerack?...I can't seem to find it.

Thanks for all the help everyone

EDIT.. I found a treadwear *score* given by consumers (not sure if I trust that)...but shouldn't there be a dedicated tread wear #.. ie 200/300/400 etc?
Old 10-30-2003, 10:48 AM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by nsxtasy &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

See what offers you get.
</TD></TR></TABLE>

I might be interested as a replacement for my current spring/summer/fall tires, but won't have the money till next week. I'll let you (DsR, not ken ) know.
Old 10-30-2003, 10:49 AM
sk8

Default Re: (dk127)

I drove re010's home in a blizzard. SUcked!!! But, even though there were 100 cars in ditch, the r stayed straight
Old 10-30-2003, 10:53 AM
Collector-o-Guns and Drinker

Default Re: (scott_k)

RE10's are downright dangerous in the snow. Kumho 712's aren't much better.

See if some GS-R driver is giving up on their POS stock Michelin MXV4's. Those are the OE tires on the Turbo Pig, and they're actually pretty darn good in snow and ice for an all-season.

Which reminds me, only another month or so of AVS joy on my car
Old 10-30-2003, 10:56 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: RE's in the snow?? or reccomendations for snow tires. (Chris N)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Chris N &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

I might be interested as a replacement for my current spring/summer/fall tires, but won't have the money till next week. I'll let you (DsR, not ken ) know.</TD></TR></TABLE>

Sounds good Chris..lemme know.

so, did anyone figure where to find the treadwear ratings on tirerack?

also, dumb ? but what is the OE GSR tire size?
Old 10-30-2003, 10:56 AM
H-T Order of Merit

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by DsR &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">We don't get extreme snow/ice here. so I would probobly be better off going w/a all season tire, instead of dedicated snow.</TD></TR></TABLE>

Just remember, all-season tires are a compromise - they won't be as good in snow as a true winter tire, and won't be as good in warm weather as a high-performance tire. If that's what meets your needs best, go for it! That's why they make different kinds of tires.

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by DsR &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Can you tell me where to find the treadwear rating for each tire on tirerack?...I can't seem to find it.</TD></TR></TABLE>

Click on the name of the tire, so you're looking at the description of that particular tire. Then click on "specs". It's the number under the column labeled "UTQG".
Old 10-30-2003, 11:04 AM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by nsxtasy &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">
Click on the name of the tire, so you're looking at the description of that particular tire. Then click on "specs". It's the number under the column labeled "UTQG".
</TD></TR></TABLE>

Im a moron..Thanks!

Ok, so the dunlops I'm looking @have no treadwear rating do dedicated snows not have treadwear rating at all?
Old 10-30-2003, 11:10 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (Splat)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Splat &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">RE10's are downright dangerous in the snow. Kumho 712's aren't much better.

</TD></TR></TABLE>

you got that right. kumhos proved to be pretty much USELESS in the snow. I couldnt even move on FLAT ground in my driveway. studded blizzaks are the way to go.
Old 10-30-2003, 11:13 AM
Collector-o-Guns and Drinker

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by DsR &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">also, dumb ? but what is the OE GSR tire size?</TD></TR></TABLE>

Same as the Hype R, I think. 195/55/15.

[edit]
Confirmed

Original Equipment Sizes for 2000 Acura Integra GS-R
Description Size
Original Equipment 195/55-15
[/edit]
Old 10-30-2003, 11:14 AM
New User

Someone posted these awhile back. I need snow tires too but have been too lazy to get some. Looks interesting.

http://www.nokiantires.com/newsite/index.html
Old 10-30-2003, 11:15 AM
H-T Order of Merit

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by DsR &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">do dedicated snows not have treadwear rating at all?</TD></TR></TABLE>

UTQG ratings are not required on winter and light truck sized tires. I see from Tire Rack's website that they don't show treadwear ratings on any of these.
Old 10-30-2003, 11:16 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: RE's in the snow?? or reccomendations for snow tires. (Splat)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Splat &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

Same as the Hype R, I think. 195/55/15.

[edit]
Confirmed

Original Equipment Sizes for 2000 Acura Integra GS-R
Description Size
Original Equipment 195/55-15
[/edit]</TD></TR></TABLE>

hrm..thats strange. Seems like w/all the integras out there they would have more of a selection of tires for us..
Old 10-30-2003, 11:21 AM
H-T Order of Merit

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by DsR &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">hrm..thats strange. Seems like w/all the integras out there they would have more of a selection of tires for us..</TD></TR></TABLE>

There is actually a wider selection of 195/55-15 tires these days for that very reason. The ES100 proved to be exceedingly popular in that size since they introduced it, which is why it has often been backlogged.
Old 10-30-2003, 11:49 AM
Honda-Tech Member

What you should do is pick up a cheap set of steelies and get the dedicated winter tires. There might be one of those days when a crap load of snow is dumped on you and the roads are slick and you'll be happy you got the winter tires. Besides, mounting and balancing each time would cost you like $40! Plus, steelies are heavier, so you get that added weight for the snow.

Personally, I have Pirelli Ice Assimetricos, I got them for $80 each on tirerack. Now, Pirelli replaced them with something, I don't remember... But next I think I'm going with Bizzaks.

Oh, I've used the winter tires for the past 4 years now.
Old 10-30-2003, 12:18 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (dk127)

The RE010's are so bad in the snow you can be compeletely stopped and then all of a sudden the car will start sliding!!!

I was on an overpass waiting to turn onto the highway a few years ago at the beginning of a snow storm. About 1/2 inch was down and while stopped waiting for the light, the oscillations of the overpass must have been enough to make the car slide because I was sitting stopped with my foot on the brake one moment and the next my car was sliding left and forward and my foot never left the brake. Spooky! I bought snow tires that same day!!!

Long story short, the RE010's are absolutely horrible in the snow. Spend $50 or so each for snow tires. Go to Tirerack like everyone else has suggested and get some cheap blizzaks or other snow tires. With Blizzaks you can easily get through 6 inches of snow assuming you haven't lowered your car.
Old 10-30-2003, 12:54 PM
New User

&lt;-- tried re010 in snow days, if you to total your car do it, i went to get some gas last winter there was no snow on ground but my ABS came out like crazy, and in a parking lot where it had flare snow, i was driving 10km and cant stop.
so if u want a new car try drive re010 in winter or else get winter tires
Old 10-30-2003, 03:01 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: RE's in the snow?? or reccomendations for snow tires. (GettaluvR)

Get 2 sets of wheels. One set with winter tires, and one set with summer tires.

I think I use Michelin Pilot Alpin's on my winter wheels.
They're completely amazing. It feels like a monster truck able to crawl up any snow cover hill.

Quick Reply: RE's in the snow?? or reccomendations for snow tires.