Notices
Acura Integra Type-R All Integra Type R Discussions

Raising Compression with a head gasket. Way to go?

Old 07-07-2004, 11:59 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Raising Compression with a head gasket. Way to go?

B18C (JDM).

Stock compression is 11.0:1 correct?

Well if my assumption is right I want to raise my compression by using a thinner head gasket. I'm not at the level of wanting to change my pistons for a higher CR ... yet. However I am going to run some larger cams in my motor and would like to raise the compression with a head gasket.

1. What is the stock thickness of an ITR head gasket?
2. Suggestions on which gasket to go with?

So far I am looking at the Toda head gaskets. But, their numbers seem off.

Thanks ahead of time,

Matt
Old 07-07-2004, 12:04 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

if you are running larger cams, be careful of valve to piston clearance. I dont know measurements, but something to be aware of.
Old 07-07-2004, 12:16 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Raising Compression with a head gasket. Way to go? (tunedb16a)

Stock B-series headgaksets are 0.6mm thick.

A Spoon and Mugen headgasket are both 0.45mm thick and will raise compression by about 0.4.

Toda gaskets are offered in 0.6(stock) .08 and 1.0 to lower compression.

Hope this helps.

-Brandon
Old 07-07-2004, 12:23 PM

Default Re: Raising Compression with a head gasket. Way to go? (110 South)

is there much of a boost in HP with a thinner head gasket?
Old 07-07-2004, 12:43 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Raising Compression with a head gasket. Way to go? (RiCE On IcE 2)

Just a tad. I think it's good if you are trying to reach a particular level and only need that 0.4 to reach it.

-Brandon
Old 07-07-2004, 12:53 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I was sitting in your same boat a year ago .. I put in a Spoon 2-ply gasket looking for a little more compression but I can tell you its not worth the hassle.. My gasket went bad about a year later and the compression change was not noticeable at all .. I can't remember the actual numbers in psi but I think I got maybe 5 more psi over OEM ..

My advice is.. if you have never pulled the head off the engine .. LEAVE IT ALONE A thin head gasket is not going to give you that extra cr for some cams .. BTW, are you UP to cams ?? Do you have i/h/e ?? Tuning ??
Old 07-07-2004, 04:29 PM

Default Re: (RTW DC2)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by RTW DC2 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">if you are running larger cams, be careful of valve to piston clearance. I dont know measurements, but something to be aware of. </TD></TR></TABLE>

thanks for advice i already looked into that and all is good to go
its just a set of skunk2 stage2

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by 110 South &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Stock B-series headgaksets are 0.6mm thick.

A Spoon and Mugen headgasket are both 0.45mm thick and will raise compression by about 0.4.

Toda gaskets are offered in 0.6(stock) .08 and 1.0 to lower compression.

Hope this helps.

-Brandon</TD></TR></TABLE>

thanks brandon that does help. now i know i need .6mm or thinner.

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by iperez &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">I was sitting in your same boat a year ago .. I put in a Spoon 2-ply gasket looking for a little more compression but I can tell you its not worth the hassle.. My gasket went bad about a year later and the compression change was not noticeable at all .. I can't remember the actual numbers in psi but I think I got maybe 5 more psi over OEM ..

My advice is.. if you have never pulled the head off the engine .. LEAVE IT ALONE A thin head gasket is not going to give you that extra cr for some cams .. BTW, are you UP to cams ?? Do you have i/h/e ?? Tuning ?? </TD></TR></TABLE>

no i dont have IHE but its all ITR stuff. it flow well enough. while i agree some expensive aftermarket parts will help out with the flow...after doing this whole import thing for so long the 100$/hp just isnt worth those purchases. tuning! tuning however I am going to do. im going to have doctor charles touch my car

kewl well i think im all done here. this helps alot. that .4 - .6 more CR i need to run the skunk2 stage 2 cames efficently is exactly what i need.
Old 07-07-2004, 05:02 PM
Darth ModerVader

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: (tunedb16a)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by tunedb16a &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">kewl well i think im all done here. this helps alot. that .4 - .6 more CR i need to run the skunk2 stage 2 cames efficently is exactly what i need.</TD></TR></TABLE>

Just be aware that the popular consensus is that you can realistically only expect an approximate .3:1 bump with either of the two popular gaskets (Mugen and Spoon), regardless of the figures quoted on the sites. If you're pulling the head yourself and aren't paying for labor, then the cost of either gasket is, IMO, pretty reasonable for such an increase.
Old 07-10-2004, 08:49 AM

Default Re: (Padawan)

.3 eh? I trust you are right. Usually these claimed HP figures and like figures are lower than advertised. How do they acheive such numbers anyhow? Doesn't matter. Soooo ... does anyone know of a company other than Spoon or Mugen that provides a thinner head gasket?

BTW I do plan on pulling the head myself. So I think it's worth it too for the money.
Old 07-10-2004, 08:59 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (tunedb16a)

Cometic can make custom headgaskets. Give them a try.

-Brandon
Old 07-20-2004, 05:15 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (110 South)

What about taking an OEM head gasket and removing one or two layers? I've heard of people removing one layer, but what about removing two?