Acura Integra Type-R All Integra Type R Discussions

OVER HEATING!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 08-19-2011, 09:23 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Icon6 OVER HEATING!!!!

I have changed my radiator and put new hoses in my type R b18c5 motor
Yesterday i changed the thermostat valve and after i started driving it started to overheat
Now it looks like my cars fan doesn't spin i turned on my ac and my ac fan spins but not my radiator fan. My radiator fan was working fine before so now im thinking there is a sensor on the housing of the thermostat could the sensor need to be replaced also since it did get wet yesterday
When i start my car the needle gradually starts to climb and never goes down could this just be due to the fan i just want to make sure that its not the thermostat

I'm planning to change the motor for the radiator fan and I'm thinking about buying the sensor
Any thoughts and opinions can be helpful thx
Old 08-19-2011, 12:38 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: OVER HEATING!!!!

Use a Honda thermostat...that way if it fails, it fails open and won't overheat. Are both radiator hoses hot/warm? Is your coolant topped off? I know air bubbles can get in the coolant system too causing heat issues, but I don't know how to troubleshoot that. Worst case could be water pump I guess. How many miles do you have?
Old 08-19-2011, 12:50 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

you can test the thermo fan switch.. thats what your talking about as in the sensor on the thermostat housing... the fan should kick on and that would defitnatly cause you to over heat when idling or at a red light.

common causes of overheating on integras are , lack of coolant, air in the system, stuck closed thermostat, blown head gasket, bad thermo fan switch.

if ur fan isnt kicking on the themor fan switch is usually the reason ....
Old 08-19-2011, 01:33 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

If it is like civic, jump the connector at the thermo switch (the one on the thermostat housing) Unplug it, take a paperclip or piece of metal bend it and place into each hole of the plug, turn the key to II position and see if the fan kicks on, if it does it is prob a bad switch.
Old 08-19-2011, 01:56 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Did you bleed the coolant system?
Old 08-19-2011, 09:09 PM
Honda-Tech Member

you know I just had the same problem as you. First I changed my thermostat. Used a OEM honda for my GSR. Nothing same problem. I would overheat. I bleed the cooling system, numerious times. Nothing. I checked the raidator fans by jumping them to see if they come on. Everything was ok on that end. Like you the only time my fans would come on was when I turned on my ac. I finally did a leak down test. Turns out I had a blown head gasket. My #3 cylinder was spitting out coolant when we were doing a compression test also, lol. One way, i noticed was, after driving my car. I would hear air bubbles in my coolant resivour tank.

If you tried what i tried. Which was everything you could think of. It might be your head gasket. Only way is to do a leakdown test. You can pickup a test kit at any auto parts store and its easy to use if you have or know someone that has a air compressor. Thats how I found out.

Remember a blown head gasket will cause the fans not to turn on and also not opening the thermostat when it reaches a certain temp. Hence, leaking pressure in the cooling system.
Old 08-20-2011, 12:46 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Today i changed the fan sensor that's the sensor that is connected to the housing of the thermostat. My fan for my radiator isn't turning I'm lost with ideas. ELECTRICAL MAYBE
i just don't know anymore the only thing that i did was but a little bit of silicone on the inside when i changed the thermostat but i dont think that would affect it because it doesn't cause any blockage i just dont know right now ANY IDEAS will be thankful
Old 08-20-2011, 12:49 PM
Honda-Tech Member

ONE THING MY RADIATOR FAN DOESNT TURN ON when i turn on my ac
if i change the fan do the side of the ac fan and use the ac fan plug then it will work
does that mean there is a electrical problem? with the fan
Old 08-20-2011, 01:22 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by motegicivic
If it is like civic, jump the connector at the thermo switch (the one on the thermostat housing) Unplug it, take a paperclip or piece of metal bend it and place into each hole of the plug, turn the key to II position and see if the fan kicks on, if it does it is prob a bad switch.
i just did this and the fan turned on and it has a new switch now it means its not the fan and its not electrical back to the drawing board start from step one
Old 08-21-2011, 05:22 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by clutch6racerone
ONE THING MY RADIATOR FAN DOESNT TURN ON when i turn on my ac
if i change the fan do the side of the ac fan and use the ac fan plug then it will work
does that mean there is a electrical problem? with the fan
Typically only the condenser fan comes on with AC with civics, but I am not sure about tegs.

I would check the fan relay.
Old 08-21-2011, 10:14 PM
Accident Prone

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Uhm, not sure what was done up until now, can't understand OP's posts. But with the fan not going, it might just be a bad fuse? I know during EXPO I was overheating on the track and my radiator fan wasn't going. Turned out the fuse blew. Popped in a spare from the underdash fuse box and I was good to go.
Old 08-22-2011, 08:09 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by Just a n00b
Uhm, not sure what was done up until now, can't understand OP's posts. But with the fan not going, it might just be a bad fuse? I know during EXPO I was overheating on the track and my radiator fan wasn't going. Turned out the fuse blew. Popped in a spare from the underdash fuse box and I was good to go.
He said it will go on after testing, so it is not a fuse.
Old 08-22-2011, 08:51 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Did you change the coolant temp sensor?
Old 08-22-2011, 10:56 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by Crxlsturbo
you know I just had the same problem as you. First I changed my thermostat. Used a OEM honda for my GSR. Nothing same problem. I would overheat. I bleed the cooling system, numerious times. Nothing. I checked the raidator fans by jumping them to see if they come on. Everything was ok on that end. Like you the only time my fans would come on was when I turned on my ac. I finally did a leak down test. Turns out I had a blown head gasket. My #3 cylinder was spitting out coolant when we were doing a compression test also, lol. One way, i noticed was, after driving my car. I would hear air bubbles in my coolant resivour tank.

If you tried what i tried. Which was everything you could think of. It might be your head gasket. Only way is to do a leakdown test. You can pickup a test kit at any auto parts store and its easy to use if you have or know someone that has a air compressor. Thats how I found out.

Remember a blown head gasket will cause the fans not to turn on and also not opening the thermostat when it reaches a certain temp. Hence, leaking pressure in the cooling system.
Well guess what blown HEAD gasket what can you do when the head gasket is blown it doesnt allow the fan to turn on thx for all of your guys help
Old 08-22-2011, 01:18 PM
B*a*n*n*e*d

that sucks dude! good luck getting it going again. I'm waiting for my cometic to pop.
Old 08-22-2011, 03:34 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Well guess what blown HEAD gasket what can you do when the head gasket is blown it doesnt allow the fan to turn on thx for all of your guys help
np. hondapartsunlimited.com is the best place that I know of to order oem part for a cheap price. Fast shipping also. I know I did everything when I changed my headgasket. Timing belt, waterpump, new oem headgasket, new oem alternator belt, ps belt, ac belt, cam O rings. Everything cameout to $232 shipped.

Don't ever use a headgasket from Autozone or any other auto parts store. After 15k miles my headgasket went out. Trust OEM... Good luck
Old 08-22-2011, 11:14 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I have changed my radiator and put new hoses in my type R b18c5 motor
Yesterday i changed the thermostat valve and after i started driving it started to overheat
Now it looks like my cars fan doesn't spin i turned on my ac and my ac fan spins but not my radiator fan. My radiator fan was working fine before so now im thinking there is a sensor on the housing of the thermostat could the sensor need to be replaced also since it did get wet yesterday
When i start my car the needle gradually starts to climb and never goes down could this just be due to the fan i just want to make sure that its not the thermostat

I'm planning to change the motor for the radiator fan and I'm thinking about buying the sensor
Any thoughts and opinions can be helpful thx

Go to Walmart,buy some speaker wire.$5-10.Cut both ends of wire to see if its your sensor.Touch your car battery fan should spin.If you wanna be ghetto and save some money for now cut the wire under your harness and rig that **** up.Def should work
Old 08-23-2011, 12:36 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Well thx you guys it was a blown head gasket the fan wouldn't turn on because exhaust fumes would go to the radiator and it would cause it to bubble. Changed the head gasket resurfaced the head everything is working fine now. Well i had to take it to my trusted mechanique and it ended up costing me 420$ he did my type R swap whats done is done and its running fine now.
Old 08-24-2011, 12:00 AM
Honda-Tech Member

wow 420 for a gasket that costs 20-80 depending where you get it and decking the head is 25$ if you ever need a new mechanic hit me up ill send you my business card. i guarantee i coulda easily beat 420$
Old 08-26-2011, 06:46 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by LordAphotic
wow 420 for a gasket that costs 20-80 depending where you get it and decking the head is 25$ if you ever need a new mechanic hit me up ill send you my business card. i guarantee i coulda easily beat 420$
$420 doesnt sound too much to me at all considering all the work involved.
Old 08-28-2011, 12:17 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by typerman
$420 doesnt sound too much to me at all considering all the work involved.
dude it should take a mechanic no more then 2 hours... for the actual labor but will probably take over a day cause ull have to drop off the head at a machinest and most dont give it back same day. if 420$ isnt a lot... i really need to start charging more cause i would love to make more then 300$ for a head gasket.. if that seems like a fair price to you guys i am gona start charging more.
Old 08-28-2011, 06:30 PM
B*a*n*n*e*d

^ you should def charge more man! This is not always an easy job depending on variables like stipped fasteners as such. WHen I saw $420 I thought that was cheap. Up here in Canadaland that would be 600-700 at least.