Notices
Acura Integra Type-R All Integra Type R Discussions

OT: Is there any reason the RSX-S feels like a complete dog?

Search this Thread

Old 05-28-2007, 06:48 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default OT: Is there any reason the RSX-S feels like a complete dog?

Alright so I've been kicking around the idea of keeping my R and getting a nice reliable daily driver... I found a local dealership with a 06 NBP RSX-S with 13k on the clock, the car is literally brand new... they are asking 21,995... I have them knocked down in the 19's right now (playing hard ball to get lower, already approved, just seeing if I can weigh it lower)

Either way he gave me the keys to go out and really drive it today without him in it, I drove it for about 45 minutes and the car kind of felt like a complete dog... Very smooth driving car, very smooth... excellent shifting, great stereo, more luxurious than the R but for some reason I expected a little more out of this k20a2 hype... I wasn't expecting it to be the same driving experience as the R, but I figured there would be some sort of thrill.

I'm still considering getting it just because I got them wayyy below private party value on it right now (hoping to get further)... Am I dumb for considering this?
Old 05-28-2007, 07:10 PM
Honda-Tech Member

If your still keeping the R what it matter? Ha
Old 05-28-2007, 07:10 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Naaaw, it's a daily driver. Buy it, it's a good price... but yeah they are dogs heh.
Old 05-28-2007, 07:12 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have the 05 Type S as well as the R. As you said, it is a bit of a dog, but the extra things like heated seats, bose stereo, leather, ect... make it a great daily driver. It still takes premium fuel, but the mileage is a bit better than the R overall.

To be honest, I've lined up both cars in a row, stock for stock, and the Type S is faster in the straight line, but as everyone knows, that wasn't the R's strength.

For the price, the RSX is a great car, so I don't think you're dumb for considering it.
Old 05-28-2007, 07:13 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (citrus3000psi)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by citrus3000psi &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">If your still keeping the R what it matter? Ha</TD></TR></TABLE>

It's the first one i've ever rode in, I guess I was expecting it to have a little more... but yeah I'll more than likely end up driving it and immediately promote the R to garage obscurity... It rolled 138k on the way to the stealership today.

He originally tried getting me to trade it in saying he couldn't give me financing with 2 car loans... I said fine, not interested... he called back later saying he could as long as I could prove that I made what I claimed, so I said not a problem, now we just gotta meet on price. KBB Trade-in has it at 20k, so it's almost instant equity on it.

The dealership is in the damn sticks, anybody with enough dough to drop on a vehicle is getting a truck... I guess it's sat road side for 2 months now... I'm going to tell him to call me back when he sees 18,900.
Old 05-28-2007, 07:27 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (itrSteez)

You've been spoiled with having an R for a DD for this long.

RSX-S is a great daily
Old 05-28-2007, 07:28 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (Doespike)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Doespike &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">You've been spoiled with having an R for a DD for this long.

RSX-S is a great daily </TD></TR></TABLE>

Spoiled that it hasn't blownup/stolen/wrecked.... it's been a riot to DD this long, for some reason I feel guilty DD'ing it though.
Old 05-28-2007, 08:27 PM
Honda-Tech Member

02-04 TYPE S = K20A2= 200HP

05-06 TYPE S= K20Z1= 210HP

yea and i dont know why they still feel like dogs
Old 05-28-2007, 08:32 PM
T2C

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by itrSteez &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

It's the first one i've ever rode in, I guess I was expecting it to have a little more... but yeah I'll more than likely end up driving it and immediately promote the R to garage obscurity... It rolled 138k on the way to the stealership today.

He originally tried getting me to trade it in saying he couldn't give me financing with 2 car loans... I said fine, not interested... he called back later saying he could as long as I could prove that I made what I claimed, so I said not a problem, now we just gotta meet on price. KBB Trade-in has it at 20k, so it's almost instant equity on it.

The dealership is in the damn sticks, anybody with enough dough to drop on a vehicle is getting a truck... I guess it's sat road side for 2 months now... I'm going to tell him to call me back when he sees 18,900.</TD></TR></TABLE>

You call them a stealership, when u are bargaining and bargaining, playing hard ball, testing the car, taking up the salesguys time. Getting the best deal already, and demanding more and more off.
Old 05-28-2007, 08:37 PM
B*a*n*n*e*d

^ It's called trying to get a good deal. Would you be happy if he walked in the STEALERSHIP's show room, put his hands on the hood of the car, spread eagle and shouted "RAPE ME! I KNOW YOU WANT TO!" and walked out of there having spent $38,000 on an '04 RSX-S that he'd be paying off for the next 120 months to come?

No, it's called trying to get a good deal, and it's what EVERY smart person buying a car does. The STEALERSHIP has a right at anytime to refuse his offer, and say "F*ck 'em", but if they're playing ball with him and his offers and talk downs, they're obviously not that upset about it.

So get off his dick, asswipe.

And Steve, I told you they're dogs, didn't I?
Old 05-28-2007, 08:41 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (T2C)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by T2C &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">
You call them a stealership, when u are bargaining and bargaining, playing hard ball, testing the car, taking up the salesguys time. Getting the best deal already, and demanding more and more off. </TD></TR></TABLE>
Taking up the salesguys time? It's kind of his job for one, and yeah WTF is wrong with getting a good deal?
Old 05-28-2007, 08:59 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (GO-FIGHT-KILL)

RSX type-s is not a dog, but does feel like it, here's why:

Type-r hp curve is fairly linear until vtec engages, causing a sharper rise in power and the 'whoa, this thing's fast' feeling

Type-s hp curve is linear throughout the whole rpm range, the vtec engagement is (almost) seamlessly blended in, so there's no distinctive jump in horsepower. This combined with the increased torque in the low-end rpm range makes the acceleration feel dull, when in fact the powerband is set up exactly as it should be.

I will say that the 02-04 models acceleration is lackluster mainly due to the 4.4 final drive, the 05-06 4.7 is a much better ratio.

Don't take the k20 for granted, it is a much superior engine design, possibly the best i-4 engine made. Only the best head guys out there can make the b18 head flow more than what a k20 head flows stock.

I know some of you may not agree with this due to the forum I'm in, but this has been my experience. My biggest complaint about the RSX is the suspension/handling and shear size of the car (tall, portly).
Old 05-28-2007, 09:06 PM
B*a*n*n*e*d

^ I agree with you, that makes perfect sense.
Old 05-28-2007, 09:20 PM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by T2C &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

You call them a stealership, when u are bargaining and bargaining, playing hard ball, testing the car, taking up the salesguys time. Getting the best deal already, and demanding more and more off. </TD></TR></TABLE>

You're more than likely a douchebag.

1. they are ********, I send in all the **** for financing, and leave after driving the car.
2. he calls back and says "I don't know if I can finance you with another open car loan" (which for one is bullshit, the total value of the two loans would be no different than buying a car for 30k.... lets not mention I clear 70k a year, single, no kids, no student loans...etc...)
3. I respond back "not going to trade my existing car in, thank you for your time"
4. He calls back 2 minutes later "okay yeah I can finance you"

that whole thing was a ploy to rob me on a trade in, the guy wasn't an idiot, he auto X's miata's... he knows the value of a ITR and was probably going to try the old "i'll give you 8 grand" stunt, then turn around and do a personal transaction on the car...

they're scumbags, all salesmen... I'm sorry.

So kill me for trying to get a good deal... They've had this car on the lot forever and they can't sell it in their two-bit hicktown and are going to take a loss if they send to auction.. It's been there for months... I'm in the position to buy it for the price they are asking, but why should I? I have the upper hand and I can request whatever price I want... It's simple economics Mr Wizard.

except carmax, those guys always seemed very non-traditional.

As far as the power curves being more linear that's probably most of what the "thrill" was lost with, R's make a ton of sweet noise past 5800, call me a ricer but it's part of the driving experience.... I guess I was expecting something similar.
Old 05-28-2007, 09:29 PM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by itrSteez &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">
As far as the power curves being more linear that's probably most of what the "thrill" was lost with, R's make a ton of sweet noise past 5800, call me a ricer but it's part of the driving experience.... I guess I was expecting something similar.</TD></TR></TABLE>

This can be solved with a short ram intake. TRUST ME, the K can make a hell of a racket in vtec!
Old 05-28-2007, 09:38 PM
B*a*n*n*e*d

I can vouch for that... Not enough racket to keep up with my R though, so many devastated RSX-S owners have discovered this the hard way, hahaha.

I kid, I kid.

Steezy, I agree, all salesmen are scum.

&lt;--- Salesmen.
Old 05-29-2007, 07:06 AM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by T2C &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">You call them a stealership, when u are bargaining and bargaining, playing hard ball, testing the car, taking up the salesguys time. Getting the best deal already, and demanding more and more off. </TD></TR></TABLE>

I think by your own admission you can see that they do in fat deserve the name Stealership. Think about it. They may not be ripping this guy off selling him the RSX at a great deal. But in order for them to be even considering the deal, they must have raped the guy that traded it in
Old 05-29-2007, 07:47 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Re: (MatrixShark)

yeah that's what I thought when i first test drove that car too..

acceleration compared to the R.
braking " "
cornering
braking
vtec cross over

smooth ride
smooth gear box

nice car but i'd never ever even consider it for the replacement for the R.. but i think u can't really go wrong for DD
Old 05-29-2007, 08:00 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (jvtec95)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by jvtec95 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">RSX type-s is not a dog, but does feel like it, here's why:

Type-r hp curve is fairly linear until vtec engages, causing a sharper rise in power and the 'whoa, this thing's fast' feeling

Type-s hp curve is linear throughout the whole rpm range, the vtec engagement is (almost) seamlessly blended in, so there's no distinctive jump in horsepower. This combined with the increased torque in the low-end rpm range makes the acceleration feel dull, when in fact the powerband is set up exactly as it should be.

I will say that the 02-04 models acceleration is lackluster mainly due to the 4.4 final drive, the 05-06 4.7 is a much better ratio.

Don't take the k20 for granted, it is a much superior engine design, possibly the best i-4 engine made. Only the best head guys out there can make the b18 head flow more than what a k20 head flows stock.

I know some of you may not agree with this due to the forum I'm in, but this has been my experience. My biggest complaint about the RSX is the suspension/handling and shear size of the car (tall, portly). </TD></TR></TABLE>
It is to a dog, there's a lot more to a car then the motor it sports, in a nut shell, and over all, the car is a dog...
Old 05-29-2007, 08:19 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Re: (JjuuN R)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by JjuuN R &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">
It is to a dog, there's a lot more to a car then the motor it sports, in a nut shell, and over all, the car is a dog...</TD></TR></TABLE>

and dog that don't pee on the trees = bitch
Old 05-29-2007, 08:20 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (itr1244)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by itr1244 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">
and dog that don't pee on the trees = bitch</TD></TR></TABLE>
ROFL!!!!!11 You kill me man!
Old 05-29-2007, 08:58 AM
Honda-Tech Member

If I were going to spend $20k daily driver Honda, I'd get an Si sedan. Have you looked into those?

The RSX's aren't bad. Everytime I've driven one, though, I was glad that I never got one. I'd rather drive a DC2/4 any day of the week.

Also, what is their OTD (out the door--includes taxes and all fees) price? Dealerships will say I can get you the car for $XX dollars, but then tack on some major fees afterwards. Most people just cave and pay the fees, or sometimes, if the dealership gets lucky, people don't even notice it. So, rule of thumb, ALWAYS GET THE OTD PRICE.
Old 05-29-2007, 09:04 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Re: OT: Is there any reason the RSX-S feels like a complete dog? (itrSteez)

.....if you're thinking of getting the rsx-s, why not get the new si instead? it has lsd, and imho looks better.
Old 05-29-2007, 09:09 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: OT: Is there any reason the RSX-S feels like a complete dog? (Black R)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Black R &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">.....if you're thinking of getting the rsx-s, why not get the new si instead? it has lsd, and imho looks better. </TD></TR></TABLE>
x2
Old 05-29-2007, 09:17 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: OT: Is there any reason the RSX-S feels like a complete dog? (Black R)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Black R &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">.....if you're thinking of getting the rsx-s, why not get the new si instead? it has lsd, and imho looks better. </TD></TR></TABLE>

I thought about checking out one of the coupes before i went final on this sale.... chances are i'll probably end up buying it today or tomorrow.

Quick Reply: OT: Is there any reason the RSX-S feels like a complete dog?