Notices
Acura Integra Type-R All Integra Type R Discussions

OT: The 04 STi will be as popular with theives as it is with ITR's

Search this Thread

Old 01-20-2003, 05:51 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default OT: The 04 STi will be as popular with theives as it is with ITR's

I just received my STi brochure from Subaru in the mail and was looking over the Specs. However I fell even more in love with the WRB STi. i was looking over the parts and realize that owners of the regular WRX could steal STi's for:

1) Brembo brake system: I'm sure this is swappable to the regular WRX....just as the ITR brakes is swappable to most Civics Integras

2) STi interior, as with the ITR interiors, I'm sure the STi interior, including 3 spoke steering wheel will be a hit with theives too

3) STi trunk spoiler, may end up as a karate chopping board, but I'm sure those are stealable too...

4) STi front bumper and foglite covers......

5) Sti trunk emblem...... stealable
6) STi BBS 17" wheels ....stealable

7) STi's are supposed to come with HID's from the factory, something regular WRX's dont get, and I'm sure they are swappable and plug and play.

8) Sti motor and tranny, swappable as well
9) Sti instrument gauge cluster with the revlimiter light ad buzzer...i'm sure is swappable tooo

as for as I've thought it out, If I owned an Sti I'd probably worry too just as much I'd worry for the ITR/GSR....

Sorry about the OT post but I figure it was important...
Old 01-20-2003, 05:57 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: OT: The 04 STi will be as popular with theives as it is with ITR's (13 Sec GSR)

If there is a big enough market they will steal.
Old 01-20-2003, 06:00 AM
Trial User

Default Re: OT: The 04 STi will be as popular with theives as it is with ITR's (13 Sec GSR)

No, didn't this thread come up about a week ago?

You forgot 300hp and 300lb/ft torque, more than the UK/JDM spec STI (excluding the Type-C).

Oh yeah, $35,000.
Old 01-20-2003, 06:09 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: OT: The 04 STi will be as popular with theives as it is with ITR's (R0476)

No, didn't this thread come up about a week ago?

I dont know?
Old 01-20-2003, 06:14 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: OT: The 04 STi will be as popular with theives as it is with ITR's (NunRacer)

Im sure it will happen, but I dont think it will happen on the same scale as the ITR/honda thefts. the STi only fits into the WRX and 2.5RS. ITR/honda motors fit in just about every other honda on the planet.
Old 01-20-2003, 06:44 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: OT: The 04 STi will be as popular with theives as it is with ITR's (RTW DC2)

Im sure it will happen, but I dont think it will happen on the same scale as the ITR/honda thefts. the STi only fits into the WRX and 2.5RS. ITR/honda motors fit in just about every other honda on the planet.
agree'd and along with this the base model cars that the stuff fits into, is just a wee bit cheaper... 1-2k vs 10k+
Old 01-20-2003, 07:06 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Re: OT: The 04 STi will be as popular with theives as it is with ITR's (splitime)

agree'd and along with this the base model cars that the stuff fits into, is just a wee bit cheaper... 1-2k vs 10k+
Buy-in affordability is a major factor. Right now, the GD8 chasis is still a way out their range of affordability, even if the parts homology is very strong. Subaru doesn't really have a modern economy classed car that allows for this.

As for older Subbies....they just aren't appealing. I don't think any thief would wanna pimp it in a Justy with 13" Brembo's. SVX's are way too rare and overvalued in the market for their rarity...so that's a no.
Old 01-20-2003, 07:19 AM
Honda-Tech Member

I don't believe you're correct. I don't think thieves will be stealing sti's in the same way that itr's are unfortunatly stolen. They (wrx's)are harder to attain due to the higher price tag and that they are such a late model car. Sure integra's and civics can be somewhat late model but aren't as prevalent as 02+wrx's. I just don't believe that the wrx owners are going to be demanding stolen parts in the same way a lot of the market does today for itr's.

-Jared
Old 01-20-2003, 07:23 AM
New User

If that were going to happen, I would think that the WRX would currently have an abnormally high theft rate as well... But it doesn't.

The WRX and STi drivetrains are compatible with just about any Subaru made in the last 10 years. The WRX drivetrain will bolt in any AWD 93+ Impreza, Legacy, Forester, Baja, etc....

So it's not out of the question - it just hasn't happened yet. This does happen with just about any popular performance cars. Back in the late 80s/early 90s, you could not park a 5.0 Mustang on the streets of any major city without fear of theft...

Andrew
Old 01-20-2003, 09:51 AM
Honda-Tech Member

That is a problem. So does stupid kids who's gonna hit a pole 5min after they got the car from the dealership.
Old 01-20-2003, 10:01 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: OT: The 04 STi will be as popular with theives as it is with ITR's (spoonek4)

It will happen but not nearly on the same scale as H/A for the above mentioned resons.

I'm hoping that I'll be able to get some parts (for my stock WRX) from people upgrading.
Right now you can get a great deal on a '02/'03 WRX, as people move to STi and new body style and they're selling off the cars and after market up-grade parts cheaply.
Hopefully, within a year, I'll be able to pick up a STI intercooler as an STi owner up-grades to a better after-market unit.

Same could be said for the EVO.

All these cars have easily interchanble parts but the quantatity of cars that are avalible for these swaps is much lower.

And also, plz keep in mind that not all hybrod/swap cars are stolen.
Old 01-20-2003, 10:05 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: OT: The 04 STi will be as popular with theives as it is with ITR's (Kamil)

And also, plz keep in mind that not all hybrod/swap cars are stolen.
yeah they are! they must be!

anyhow, for the wrx thing, give it a few years.