Notices
Acura Integra Type-R All Integra Type R Discussions

A new breed of rice?

Search this Thread

Old 06-13-2001, 12:06 PM
New User

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default A new breed of rice?

Lately, I've been noticing a new breed of rice. It seems that the meaning of rice has evolved from people putting on big wings and decorating their cars distastfully to what I feel now, should be rice.

To me, rice is more of a mindset. To make your car different and perhaps even upgrade it, but not use it to even it's slightest potential. Ricers could put in 1000's of dollars in good mods, but not go to the track or an autox even once. Once, someone told me that he wouldn't go to the track because he was afraid of breaking his very expensive suspension and dirtying his lightweight rims. WTF is that? He has a very nice car, but if you ask me, he's just another rice boy albeit with money. Why buy a set of Tein N1's if you're just going to drive on the street? Why buy a big brake kit, if you've never even faded your brakes before? I can't think of another purpose other than to show off your wealth.

The JDM craze is almost out of control... There seems to be too much emphasis on JDM equipment and many blindly believe that JDM=good stuff. It's not always the case even though there are a lot of good Japanese parts out there. The new breed of rice boys will just buy those parts because they heard they were good and spend good money on things they'll never use.

I've wanted to say this for a long time and wondered if anyone agreed with me. Maybe I'm the only to think this way, but I certainly feel that there are plenty of good cars and parts wasted.

[Modified by jimbob, 1:08 PM 6/13/2001]

[Modified by jimbob, 1:19 PM 6/13/2001]
Old 06-13-2001, 12:14 PM

Default Re: A new breed of rice? (jimbob)

Not my money...I couldnt care less what they do. If they want to lspend thousands to load up on Mugen... and then park the car in the garage, so be it.

jmho.
Old 06-13-2001, 12:16 PM
New User

Default Re: A new breed of rice? (99r)

Looks like j00 saw jg luder post this over in kill stories and decided to try and make j00rself look original huh?
Old 06-13-2001, 12:25 PM
New User

Default Re: A new breed of rice? (typerlover)

Looks like j00 saw jg luder post this over in kill stories and decided to try and make j00rself look original huh?
Sorry... I haven't read jg luder's post, nor do I venture in the kill stories forum. Too much misinformation and too many idiots there...
Old 06-13-2001, 12:30 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Yeah... I don't know if that's "rice"...

What about the people who buy all these things but never turn a wrench? Do we need a durogatory term for that, too...

Just stop the hate.

People to ugly, tacky things to their cars. It's a special shame when it's an ITR. Calling it "rice" can't add any gravity to that.

People daily drive their cars with mad mods and such... so ******* what?

This is almost as bad as the "do you let people eat/drink/smoke/**** in your car?" ~ I'm not going to give you the hippie-liberal line that says whatever you do is fine... but - really -

New breed of rice? Or a new low in intolerance?
Old 06-13-2001, 12:32 PM
New User

I agree, if you're gonna spend all this damn money on your car, race it, drive it, enjoy your car. Its not gonna be pretty forever. I drive my car almost 500 miles a week now.

My opinion about this JDM craze is the folks in Japan are laughing at us all the way to the bank. This stuff is way overpriced. Yea some of the stuff works (really good) but for the price I dont find all the other stuff(the stuff that looks JDM but add no performance) justifiable. Its just another marketing gimmick.

Do you think the folks in Japan make their cars look USDM?? Hell no..
Old 06-13-2001, 12:36 PM
New User

Default Re: A new breed of rice? (ITR 98-0652)

It's not hate... It's just an observation. People have the liberty to do what they want. Including buying an ITR and putting a hydraulic suspension on it. I just think it's a waste... I'm just asking about other people's opinion. Nothing more, nothing less... Don't take it personally!
Old 06-13-2001, 12:38 PM
Black Dragon

Kinda like wearing/installing seatbelts and/or 5-point harnesses and never hitting the wall?
Kinda like never trying out that new airbag?

Why buy a helmet if you`re never going to hit your head on the pavement at 60 mph??
Why buy good brakes if you`re never going to slam on your brakes at 100 mph to avoid hitting the child in the stroller??

Just when a person has figured out how not to "rice" out a car, the new breed of whiners emerge.

[Modified by Black Dragon, 1:40 PM 6/13/2001]

This post was too harsh and didn`t want jimbob to take it personal.

[Modified by Black Dragon, 1:50 PM 6/13/2001]
Old 06-13-2001, 12:41 PM
New User

Default Re: A new breed of rice? (FAST94GSR)

Unfortunately, some ppl in Japan are trying hard to get USDM fronts for their R's. Some things never change, we always want to be a little different from the people around us.

As for them laughing at us to the bank? They're probably laughing even after they leave the bank!
Old 06-13-2001, 12:50 PM
New User

Default Re: A new breed of rice? (Black Dragon)

Kinda like wearing/installing seatbelts and/or 5-point harnesses and never hitting the wall? Kinda like never trying out that new airbag?
Just when a person has figured out how not to "rice" out a car, the new breed of whiners emerge.

I dunno what your point is..............it`s their money, you shouldn`t let it get to you. If you don`t like it, don`t do it.
Again, these are observations and I'm not complaning about these people or telling them what to do. I'm not flaming anyone and I'm not whining about this either! I didn't know you people would be so sensitive to this topic! You all have to lossen up a little...

Your analogies are misleading however... Airbags and harness' are passive safety equipment. You don't have to use or test them to need them. To get a 3000$ suspension, you should at least know how to set it up and know what it's used for and use it to a certain potential. I can almost garranty you that a big brake kit will not stop you any faster on the highway or in city driving. That's not what they were designed to do. They were designed to provide fade resistance, easier modulation and even contact between pads and rotors. If you can lock up stock ITR brakes easily, you're not going to stop any faster with 6 pots in the city.

Seems like people can't take a little opinion here very well...
Old 06-13-2001, 12:55 PM
New User

Default Re: A new breed of rice? (FAST94GSR)

Unfortunately, some ppl in Japan are trying hard to get USDM fronts for their R's. Some things never change, we always want to be a little different from the people around us.

As for them laughing at us to the bank? They're probably laughing even after they leave the bank!
Old 06-13-2001, 01:01 PM
Black Dragon

Opps, I saw that coming.

But still, so what? So the kid down the street learned he`s a ricer if leaves that 747 wing on his Hyundai. He takes it off only to drive down the street and learn his new big brakes also label him a ricer because he doesn`t RACE(??)

I disagree, performance upgrades are not rice. ----(to an extent of course)---

Sorry jimbob, it always strikes a chord in me when I perceive someone/some group trying to change the rules for everybody but themselves.
Old 06-13-2001, 01:10 PM
New User

Sorry jimbob, it always strikes a chord in me when I perceive someone/some group trying to change the rules for everybody but themselves.
Don't worry... I didn't take anything personally. I was just curious what people thought. We're all Honda fans here getting new ideas for our cars. I'm not trying to change any rules, just asking what everyone thought.

I know it's touchy subject when I start saying that performance parts can be rice too, but it's just something I've been feeling. I guess it deserves another name when someone is just a poser, but I'd rather not get into that. I'm sure you'll understand
Old 06-13-2001, 01:12 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You bring up some good points jimbob. I'm not trying to get *too* involved in the flame war you've created here, but I DO agree that the ITR was made FOR racing. Garage queen ITRs are not getting used for what they were intended. I don't drive my ITR a whole lot, but there are various reasons why. When I DO drive my ITR, it's usually to an AutoX, road course, etc. The 7800 miles on my R are hard miles from racing usually.

All I'm saying is AT LEAST try out a few AutoX's or some form of racing. That will give you an idea of what our cars were made for. Once you get on a road course then you'll really know.

To each his own, but if you bought the ITR to become a show car or a garage queen...you bought it for the wrong reasons.

Just my 2 pennies.
Old 06-13-2001, 01:35 PM
Black Dragon

Default Re: A new breed of rice? (Yellow Dragon)

Why don`t you just shut the F up YD!!

I am a nightmare driving, psycopath speeding. Driving the R like a firecracker quick as the fuse.
When I drive the R it is madness, insanity, living profanity and then some punk claiming they understand me? Give me a break, what world do you live in? Speed is my sect, guess my religion.

I bought the R because it looks good in my garage. <---period

Old 06-13-2001, 01:48 PM
Honda-Tech Member

haha. LMAO Black Dragon.

Just so you know...I'm not pointing fingers or *trying* to pass judgement. I just think if you don't at least try you ITR out at an AutoX or on a road course for even a driver's event, you're missing out.

'nuff said. Sorry if I stepped on any toes (other Dragons included).
Trial User

jimbob,

I agree with you 100%. Almost ALL of these performance upgrades I see are on ITR's that either:

- never see anything but the street (which BTW is a stupid place to be racing)
- are driven by individuals who still have not even maximised their own driving skills before reaching the stock ITR's performance potential

This is one impressive car right out of the box that was designed to out-perform any other car in its class in stock form. It was stripped of amenities like AC, sunroof, sound insulation, rear wiper, etc. to reduce its weight for performance reasons. It would be great to see more people use it more often for what it was designed for - a great competition car.
Honda-Tech Member

Not everybody takes their R to an autox or track event. That is fine. Most people never drive their Porsche/BMW/Ferrari to the limit by taking them to these events either.

Nothing wrong with taking the R out and driving it through the canyons on a weekend. It is a remarkable car and can be enjoyed in many different ways...
Old 06-13-2001, 02:06 PM
Honda-Tech Member

JDM, Jspec is definitely the way to go. It's for people who want to make subtle changes. Nothing beats OEM in terms of fit, quality and function. And that includes Spoon and Mugen, since all they do is Honda. If I had a E46 330ci, I'd put only stuff that would say AC Schnitzer, Hartge and Alpina. Even the part numbers resemble the Honda numbers:
83414-ST7-Z10ZA
76200-DC2-000
71110-ST7-v01
83111-ST7-A00ZA
84112-XG9R-K0S0

JDM is more like a brand of parts. 20 years from now, I'm sure there would be more of us talking about a JDM 4-1 ITR header over an header made by Tenzo racing sports.

When building up your Honda, you can't go wrong with JDM parts. I guess the bottom line is don't put junk on your car.

Old 06-13-2001, 02:11 PM
New User

Default Re: A new breed of rice? (dc24me)

I was under the impression that JDM meant Japanese Domestic Market. Parts labeled JDM doesn't necessarily mean JDM OEM. Mugen, Spoon... are JDM too since they're made and meant for the Japanese market.

Please tell me if I'm wrong.
Old 06-13-2001, 02:28 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I was under the impression that JDM meant Japanese Domestic Market. Parts labeled JDM doesn't necessarily mean JDM OEM. Mugen, Spoon... are JDM too since they're made and meant for the Japanese market.

Please tell me if I'm wrong.
I guess it's just how you interpret it. I interpret JDM as anything OEM HONDA which was unavailable to us in North America. Mugen and Spoon have official Importers to North America, while JDM/Jspec Honda is all grey market. I dunno, bro.
Old 06-13-2001, 03:23 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Oh god

Are you trying to troll for responese? By your analogy, someone living in a city/town, where there are no track events or autocrosses, should not buy an ITR even though he loves its looks and found it the funnest car he has ever driven.

C'mon people, we get enough crap from the domestic drivers, do we need more of this ****? The word is gonna spread and next thing you know, every damn car with tein suspension (or roll cages or stripped interiors etc.) is gonna be a "rice" car.

Old 06-13-2001, 05:11 PM
New User

Default Re: A new breed of rice? (Tommy_Gunns)

I actually find this post offensive. I really think that it is none of your business what others do to their cars -- that is why is belongs to them and not to you. If you really have a problem with people "ricing" out their cars, then there is something the matter with you. It seems to me, that some people are just jealous that they cannot afford some of the modifications these creative individuals are adding to their cars. It doesn't matter if <U> you </U> think it is a waste of a perfectly good car - its their car.. So leave it alone.
Old 06-13-2001, 05:35 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: A new breed of rice? (PYTypeR408)

Who really gives a ****?I don't care if some jackass buys an ITR to autocross it or to put twice the price of the car into stupid overpriced JDM crap and 1,300 pounds of stereo.That is just their loss.**** on em.
Old 06-15-2001, 06:07 AM
New User

Don't worry... I didn't take anything personally. I was just curious what people thought. We're all Honda fans here getting new ideas for our cars. I'm not trying to change any rules, just asking what everyone thought.

I know it's touchy subject when I start saying that performance parts can be rice too, but it's just something I've been feeling. I guess it deserves another name when someone is just a poser, but I'd rather not get into that. I'm sure you'll understand

Yeah, that other name is jealousy my friend. that feeling you've been feeling inside. you see the 17 year old with his car all spanked out with the best gear and think to your self, "how did he get that" It's a syndrom ive seen many times, that is my definition of rice. rice for the most part equals jealousy. people call other people riceboys because they have no money to do things to their own car so they think that everyone else is a riceboy! man I wish everyone whould just fucnkin grow up and worry about yourself and not everyone else.

I think some people just go around and try to see what they can make fun of. wow, that kid got them brembo brakes on his integra, what a rice boy!!!!! that statement sounded so ****** stupid. not saying that you are stupid, but think before you talk dood!

Quick Reply: A new breed of rice?