Notices
Acura Integra Type-R All Integra Type R Discussions

My Oil burning issue with a slight twist maybe (LONG But I really need help)

Old 10-06-2004, 04:21 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default My Oil burning issue with a slight twist maybe (LONG But I really need help)

I have a JDM ITR engine in my eg hatch and the other day I was told my car was smoking then I saw it. So I did some reading up on here about ITR's and oil burning issues. Thought I was just like 1/2 the ITR owners with oil consumption/burning problems only in Vtec. However I dont think I am.

First off here are my mods DC Sports JDM 4-1 header, Catalytic converter (not sure the brand), Junk2 exhaust, Memory Fab intake (J's racing knockoff), Kenji P28 ECU, Walboro Fuel pump, New plugs, wires, cap and rotor, pcv valve (going in 5 mins after I finish this post), and Castrol Syntec 5w30.

Now last night I put on the header and then pulled the silencer outta the exhaust. So I started the car up and it smoked a few mins. However, I expected this since it was new. Took the car out for a drive and came back home. Started the car this morning and drove to work and noticed some smoke. I got to work changed my plugs from 1 step colder NGK's to normal OEM's gapped at .38 since this is what some of the top tuners recommend on here. Started the car and reved the engine up a little and out comes the lovely blue smoke.

The catch is the smoke doesnt smell like oil it smells just like coolant and it burns my eyes (along with everyone else I had look at it) . Nobody understands this at all. I have no issues with coolant or overheating either so this kinda ruled out headgasket problems. But does it rule out the headgasket completely?

Compression numbers are 255 across the board. I have not done a leakdown as of yet because from what I have been reading neither a compression test or leakdown will tell if the rings are bad. My guess is the oil rings are gone. There is no smoke at all upon startup only under load.

This motor is also only about 4-5 months old. So any info that you all can assist me will be very helpful. Thanks in advance!
Old 10-06-2004, 04:52 PM

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Re: My Oil burning issue with a slight twist maybe (awdwagon)

what ecu?

if it is chipped p28 mostlikely that is extra gas....usually p28's run way rich
Old 10-06-2004, 05:11 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: My Oil burning issue with a slight twist maybe (chad)

well its a Kenji ECU. But it is oil looks like it but smells sweet like coolant. I just changed my PCV valve mine was clogged maybe thats the culprit but its too cold to tell tonight. I will know for sure tomorrow.
Old 10-07-2004, 02:54 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: My Oil burning issue with a slight twist maybe (typeR0059)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by typeR0059 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">my car does that too, a few days after installed my head, my car started smoking oil during startup. i think the problem is when the machine shop guy installed the valves seals, he didnt use the right one for in. and ex vice versa, so what happens when ur car is off it drips tiny bits of oil into ur combustion chamber and when u start it up the car, it burns it and comes out of the exhuast.

but if its not oil, i dont know then.</TD></TR></TABLE>

This is not so in my case. I get no smoke upon startup. It only smokes under load/throttle. This would lead me to believe the valve seals are just fine.

I will find out today but could a clogged PCV valve cause this?
Old 10-07-2004, 05:06 AM

hm.. i hope it's nothing serious. thats what i have in my EJ.. it used to burn oil like crazy, but now, she's used to it and barely burns it.. did u open up your hood and see where the smoke is coming from? let us know what you find out
Old 10-07-2004, 06:33 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: My Oil burning issue with a slight twist maybe (JinDIESEL)

Interesting situation. You could try a leak down test to see if there is any ring issues. Also, how do the gaskts look that seal the spark plug portion of the valve cover to the head? I have seen oil drip through there before and down past the threads of the spark plug itself.

Could very well be your PCV valve as well.
Old 10-07-2004, 06:37 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: My Oil burning issue with a slight twist maybe (asubennett)

all the gaskets look good. I have new ones ready to go on when I do the timing belt hopefully this weekend. I hope its nothing serious. I am so broke now this would kill me. Maybe time to sell it and buy a brand new car.
Old 10-07-2004, 10:50 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Well since I changed the PCV valve I dont have smoke when I rev the engine up anymore from what I can see/tell. I guess I will find out on my way home. Talked to an Acura mechanic and he claims a bad PCV valve will suck all the oil outta an engine. Hopefully this was an easy $5 fix. The mechanic also traded (work for work basically) me some BG Air Intake System Cleaner (2cans) , a can of BG MOA, and a can of BG 44k not to mention he is letting me borrow his tool to make sure the fluid goes in nice and slow at a controlled rate.

I hope something as simple as a PCV can solve all my oil burning issues. (crosses fingers)