Acura Integra Type-R All Integra Type R Discussions

Loud Squeak When Turning Right

Search this Thread

Old 12-07-2016, 10:12 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Loud Squeak When Turning Right

Hey guys,

I was autocrossing my Type R the other day, and braked and turned right really hard at the end of a long straightaway. Driving home in a straight line, there was a squeak that occurred every time the wheel rotated, but only at a certain point in the rotation (a cyclical squeak). After I got home I took it out again, and the cyclical squeak in a straight line was gone, but returned when I turned right. When the car is in the air it does not make any sounds left or right, with or without rotating wheels. Wiggling the tire everything is extremely tight, and pulling the tire off everything looks good, although the inner tie rod end boot is ripped, but there is still a lot of grease on the joint. If I get the car on some mountain roads for about 10 minutes, the squeak gets louder, and starts occurring even in a straight line, although it is always cyclical. Power steering levels haven't changed.

I got new wheels the other day too, and when I put them on (they sit a bit wider), I noticed that the left side was sitting about 1.5cm lower than the right. Not sure if I only noticed it because of the wider stance and closer proximity to the fender, and it was there all along, or if it happened at the track and the two issues are related. There aren't any leaks coming from the shock.

I just can't quite figure it out, and I'd like to get some advice from people who may have had a similar problem before I spend all day tearing apart and reassembling the entire front left assembly on my daily driver.

Thank you,

swenceslaoe
Old 12-08-2016, 07:29 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Loud Squeak When Turning Right

It is very likely that your wheel bearing is going out. I just replaced my Odyssey van right bearing and it had the exact symptoms as you described. You can do a quick test by spray W40 at the join where the axle mates to the hub. The hope is to get W40 to lubricate the bearing to see if the bearing is the cockpit. Good luck.
Old 12-08-2016, 09:29 AM
Honda-Tech Member

I've found that wheel bearings noise typically sounds like "white noise" when driving so if you're hearing that as well then it could be an indicator of the bearing.
Old 12-08-2016, 05:34 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Thank you,

I was suspicious of the wheel bearing, especially since it is a cyclical squeak, but it only really happens when turning right, and so it threw me off. Every other time I've had wheel bearings go out, they squeak all of the time regardless of the direction I am turning. Additionally, every time I have had a bad wheel bearing the brake rotor has had some slight play to it, but this time it is solid as a rock. I will try the WD40 trick this weekend though and see what it does.

swenceslaoe
Old 12-09-2016, 05:42 AM
Cool Cool Island Breezes. BOY-EE

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

check for sticking calipers/brake pads and/or a rotor dust shield that is rubbing the rotor.

also check brake pad condition.
Old 12-18-2016, 08:46 AM
Honda-Tech Member

I thought about the brakes, but it doesn't do it when it's in the air, and the squeak doesn't change at all if i am braking while turning. Got a new wheel bearing in, let's see if it does the trick.
Old 08-11-2018, 01:50 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Update: Squeak went away for months, came back, went away etc., didn't have any clear pattern or correlation with anything, although when it was there it was more prominent when turning right. Turns out not only was the wheel bearing bad, but the hub was bad as well. I've had bearings go bad before and usually get the white noise sound, but this time had nothing like that. The hub had become slightly oval. I am thinking that sometimes the bearing and axle would sit right, and other times it would move around slightly, causing the symptoms to come and go over different timespans. Very strange, but at least now it's fixed. If anyone else has weird front end symptoms like this, I can now suggest that they take apart the hub and take a look at the bearing and hub assembly. Hope this can help you.