Notices
Acura Integra Type-R All Integra Type R Discussions

ITR and winter

Search this Thread

Old 12-26-2006, 03:36 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default ITR and winter

Who drives their ITR during the winter? If so, Do you guys have an extra set of rims and winter tires? Seems like I will have to drive my ITR this winter, my winter beater is long gone. how does the ITR handle in snow...cant imagine!

Thanks J for letting me use you account.
Old 12-26-2006, 03:44 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: ITR and winter (John 07)

Back in my 97R days with only one ride, I bought a set of Pirelli snow/steely package from Tirerack and I had no problem cruising along in a snow storms.

Modified by machgo5go at 7:56 PM 12/26/2006
Old 12-26-2006, 03:49 PM
H-T Order of Merit

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by John 07 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Who drives their ITR during the winter?</TD></TR></TABLE>

I do!

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by John 07 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Do you guys have an extra set of rims and winter tires?</TD></TR></TABLE>

Yes!

I drove my ITR to VIR on my winter tires a few weeks ago for a Chin Motorsports event. Switching from winter tires to track tires is like cheating Mother Nature!

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by John 07 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">how does the ITR handle in snow...</TD></TR></TABLE>

Very well, with winter tires. I mean, you can't scream around corners like you would on a warm summer day, of course, but it will grip enough to give you a safe, secure ride and get you where you're going.
Old 12-26-2006, 03:53 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: ITR and winter (nsxtasy)

I do

its like driving a civic in the snow
Old 12-26-2006, 04:06 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I drive mine in the winter... too bad it dosn't snow here.
Old 12-26-2006, 05:42 PM
Honda-Tech Member

extra set of wheels...
Old 12-26-2006, 08:09 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (Doostur)

Doostur, you are very lucky not to get any snow!!!!
Old 12-26-2006, 11:36 PM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by John 07 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Who drives their ITR during the winter?</TD></TR></TABLE>
I do, but only the first winter ... now i have my Civic-EK3-dailybitch.

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by John 07 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Do you guys have an extra set of rims and winter tires?</TD></TR></TABLE>
yes, Bridgestone Blizzak LM-25

Old 12-27-2006, 02:22 AM
Honda-Tech Member

its a honda, not a piece of museum art - its meant to be driven. my ITR is still a hoot to throw into corners even if the winter tires roll over in protest (provided its not icy outside)

i couldn't stomach the CR-V wheels so i had the winter tires swapped onto the stock ITR wheels a couple of weeks back
Old 12-27-2006, 05:25 AM
Honda-Tech Member

i do as well
on winter tires
This morning in apprently"icy" conditions, the only 2 cars doing normal speed where me and an Audi.
Stupid morons on their all seasons
Old 12-27-2006, 05:27 AM
Honda-Tech Member

I drove mine home in an ice storm once. A bald set of Azeni 215's + ice was not much fun. Here's what it looked like when I got it home.

Old 12-27-2006, 05:40 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: ITR and winter (Bradstard)

nice icicles brad

i did buy a spare set of wheels on which to put winter tyres, but my dad being the arsehole he is went mad at me saying in the most annoying and patronising tone possible "you don't need other tyres, you'll just slow down won't you?" then promptly ordered me to sell the spare rims

he obviously doesnt understand that even driving at sensible speeds in bad weather (which i do, i don't want to risk me or my car), can result in you needing to do some hairy driving if someone else has been stupid. but no he doesnt see it like that...
Old 12-27-2006, 06:10 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Most ITR owners in Norway driver all winter. It's no problem. In fact it's better then most cars I've driven because of the LSD.
Looks like most of us use the 15" enkei rims for the snow tyres, and have other rims for the summer tyres.
Old 12-27-2006, 06:38 AM
H-T Order of Merit

Default Re: (Miss Type R Tia)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Miss Type R Tia &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">i got myself a new set of tires...bought some BFGs...they are sooo good with handling and driving in the rain isnt scary at all! </TD></TR></TABLE>

I don't know why people confuse winter driving with rain driving. They are two different things, and you don't want the same tires for both.

Tires are made for different ranges of operating temperatures and conditions:

Summer tires are designed for driving primarily at temperatures above freezing. Most of them do well on dry pavement AND in rain, but not in snow or frigid cold. Granted, there are a few summer tires that are designed to grip on dry pavement to the exclusion of all else, and don't do all that well in rain - the Falken Azenis RT-615 being the most well-known, but also including the BFG KD, Yoko AD07, and Bridgestone RE01R - but those are the exceptions to the rule. Anyone who lives in a climate where it never snows only needs summer tires, nothing else, even in rain.

All-season tires are designed as a compromise, for people who must use the same tire in snow and frigid cold in winter as they do in moderate to warm temperatures. They don't do as well in winter as winter tires, and they don't do as well the rest of the year as summer tires, but they are okay - just okay - all year round. From a performance standpoint, if your climate experiences winter conditions, then you're probably better off getting a second set of wheels, using one for summer tires and another for winter tires. But if you have to use one set of tires all year round, including winter conditions, then these are an option to consider.

Winter tires are designed to grip well on snow and at colder temperatures. They can be used when the temperatures warm up, but they will give a "mushy" ride feel and thus are not a great choice for year round use. Within the winter tire category, there are a couple of sub-categories. Tires that the Tire Rack calls "studless winter tires", like the Bridgestone Blizzak WS-50 and Michelin X-Ice, offer the best traction on snow and ice. Tires that they call "performance winter tires", like the Bridgestone Blizzak LM-25 and Michelin Pilot Alpin, are not quite as good on snow and ice but have improved ride and handling at high speeds and in moderate temperatures.
Old 12-27-2006, 07:06 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (nsxtasy)

i ran my 97 year around when and with the winter tire and wheels package i got from tire rack(steel wheels with artic alpin tires) it went really well.i gotten a couple of my old beater civics with snow tires stuck in my driveway before, so far(knock on wood) the type r never left me stranded. they key to winter driving/preperation is a good set of winter tires

on my 98 im still running azenis, but it hasnt snowed here yet but im sure were gonna get nailed after the new year,but i can get use to this global warming thing.
Old 12-27-2006, 07:22 AM
Honda-Tech Member

ITR kicks *** in the snow. Blizzaks FTMFW!

Old 12-27-2006, 08:29 AM
Honda-Tech Member

to hell with that... i'm about to ship mine to my parents to sit in storage i think just the roadsalt it sees in shipping will make me cry.
Old 12-27-2006, 09:18 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (itrSteez)

I have once... Kinda fun on azenis..
Old 12-27-2006, 09:29 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (canuckr)

^^^ brave man!! Azenis in the rain suck ***, I dont want to even think about them in the snow!
Old 12-27-2006, 07:10 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I have done maybe 50 miles in mine in the last 3 months and we dont even get snow and its still 12degrees celcius!!! But the roads are as greasy as hell and it spins in 4th when you shoe it on (on T1R tyres) so i just dont drive it.
Old 12-27-2006, 09:17 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I guess I'll ***** this pic out again since it's somewhat on topic.....

Old 12-27-2006, 09:18 PM
Honda-Tech Member

dont be scared
Old 12-27-2006, 09:41 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I live in Utah and drive mine all year. i just have some kumho all seasons on it for the winter and it does me just fine. only thing to look out for is other drivers. i'm confident with my car and driving where i play it safe.
Old 12-27-2006, 10:25 PM
Honda-Tech Member

well i just sold my beater cuz i couldnt afford to get it running in time for the winter.. so it looks like the R will have to see the snow this year.. i will say that i have only seen one bad day so far and the LSD helped out a ton... but on a positive note i only work 2 miles away from where i live and dont go in until 4pm so streets should be cleared by that time..
Old 12-28-2006, 02:47 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (dcash13)

Hey lucky for you most likey the roads will be cleared

Quick Reply: ITR and winter