Notices
Acura Integra Type-R All Integra Type R Discussions

Intake Mainfold Whistle (Squeal)

Search this Thread

Old 03-19-2006, 01:41 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Intake Mainfold Whistle (Squeal)

I've had a prevalent squealing noise coming from my car while the throttle is pressed 40-50%. This isn't the normal whistle/gush sound that comes from most aftermarket intakes.. this is a very LOUD squeal.

I was almost sure that the sound was coming from the Injen CAI intake, since it started last year when I installed it, but after today i know that something is wrong with my intake manifold.
I took off the intake completely so that the intake manifold was bare and revved the motor in neutral. Low and behold, the squeal was still pronounced.

We tried to clean the outer part of the manifold with some de-gummer, but it didn't solve the problem. I'm guessing that either one of my valves (idle control valve) is bad or i have a bad manifold gasket.

Just seeing if you guys had any suggestions before I give up and bring it to a mechanic.
Old 03-19-2006, 05:41 PM
Honda-Tech Member

there is nothing wrong with it thats normal

actually you need to replace your manifold and throttle body and sell itto me for 25 bucks shipped
Old 03-19-2006, 07:59 PM

Default Re: (94rs-turbo)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by 94rs-turbo &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">there is nothing wrong with it thats normal

actually you need to replace your manifold and throttle body and sell itto me for 25 bucks shipped </TD></TR></TABLE>

no its not normal. the sound isnt coming from the intake, as it was audible w/ the intake off it
Old 03-20-2006, 12:19 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (Circa)

Perhaps the mating surface between the manifold and the head is warped. Try swapping out to a brand new gasket, or even better a Hondata IM gasket. If that doesn't solve it, check all the vacuum connections and make sure nothing is lose.
Old 03-20-2006, 01:36 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Intake Mainfold Whistle (Circa)

the whistling doesn't come from aftermarket intakes, it comes from the throttle plate being partly open and air rushing past it makes that whistling sound. aftermarket intakes don't have resonators to dull sounds emanating from the throttle body/intake manifold which is the reason why intakes appear to whistle. however, the intake manifold should not be whistling once the throttle plate is open 40-50%.. only usually on low throttle inputs. if you post a video or a sound clip we might be able to tell you if thats a normal sound or not. that being said, if the intake manifold still squeals when you're giving good throttle, then that wouldn't be normal.
Old 03-27-2006, 10:30 AM

Default Re: Intake Mainfold Whistle (res09ggm)

dropped the R off at a shop today and they just called back and said that my exhaust manifold and my flex-pipe are cracked...

would that be making a whistle? seems real unlikely since the whistle is linked to the throttle

should i get a second opinion?
Old 03-27-2006, 10:50 AM

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Circa &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">dropped the R off at a shop today and they just called back and said that my exhaust manifold and my flex-pipe are cracked...

would that be making a whistle? seems real unlikely since the whistle is linked to the throttle

should i get a second opinion?</TD></TR></TABLE>

That doesn't sound right....
Old 03-27-2006, 10:54 AM

Default Re: Intake Mainfold Whistle (shotenITR)

he said that the crack in flex pipe is making the whistle

my guess is that the increased pressure from the intake is making the whistle in the flexpipe

i dont know what to believe anymore...
Old 03-27-2006, 12:00 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

exhaust leaks dont whistle AFAIK. they sound like **** and fluttery.

any work done to your head, TB, or IM? such as porting?

my TB whistles really loud as well and I think it is related to my ported head and IM runners. the CAI piping only makes it louder. if your TB/IM is whistling, it is NOT a problem. Its just the way the air is flowing when at part throttle. Just double check and make sure its coming from your IM/TB. If it is, I wouldnt worry about. At most, I would just pull the IM and make sure your gasket isnt screwed up. But I would bet money that its the TB and its "normal".
Old 03-27-2006, 07:52 PM

Default Re: (RTW DC2R)

ya im pretty sure you're right.. although the exhaust mani needs to be fixed...

good excuse to drop some dough on a new header
Old 03-28-2006, 08:05 AM
Honda-Tech Member

I had to post, because i've seen the same exact issue. I had that whine, it was only at 30-40% throttle, but if I held the throttle steady, I could keep the whine going. It did it since the day I picked up the caR, and I have since replaced the header, cat and 2 intakes; sound still there.

Don't let those thiefs, I mean mechanics, sell you anything you don't need.

fwiw, my exhaust mani was cracked for a while and didn't impact performance enough to be able to feel it.

RIP #98
Old 03-28-2006, 11:15 AM
cool guy name

Default Re: Intake Mainfold Whistle (apexii)

A good crack in the exhaust manifold will only help performance But sound like ****
Old 03-28-2006, 11:57 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Intake Mainfold Whistle (walker111)

Sounds like bent intake valves.
Old 03-28-2006, 12:18 PM

Default Re: Intake Mainfold Whistle (neo_)

or....just try adjusting the idle screw...it worked for me
Old 03-28-2006, 05:36 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: Intake Mainfold Whistle (ITR908)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by ITR908 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">or....just try adjusting the idle screw...it worked for me </TD></TR></TABLE>

me two
Old 04-02-2006, 07:00 PM

Default Re: Intake Mainfold Whistle (YellowKahuna)

im just going to bring it a trusted mechanic and have him check for a cracked intake manifold gasket

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by ITR908 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">or....just try adjusting the idle screw...it worked for me </TD></TR></TABLE>

how would that fix it? wouldnt that just change the idle position/rpm?

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by apexii &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Don't let those thiefs, I mean mechanics, sell you anything you don't need.
</TD></TR></TABLE>

seriously! i brought it in there for that issue and they tried to bullshit me by saying that my belts and hoses need to be replaced. all my belts/hoses were all in good condition! fukin thieves
Old 04-02-2006, 07:05 PM

Mine makes the whistle at the TB. It will do it without the intake on the car, and if you thumb throttle it you can clearly hear it coming from the TB. It's never caused any problems, and if anything, it just causes people who are in my car to ask what the sound is.

How would the idle screw help? Just wondering because my idle is low and that screw is stripped by the person who owned it before me. If I can manage to get a slot dremmeled into it then maybe I can kill two birds with one stone.