Notices
Acura Integra Type-R All Integra Type R Discussions

I just bought a Spoon Meter Assembly( Spoon gauge Cluster ) and there is a problem with a wiring har

Search this Thread

Old 12-20-2001, 12:33 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default I just bought a Spoon Meter Assembly(Spoon Cluster) and there is a problem with a wiring harness.

Normally, there is three harnesses that plug-in to the normal ITR cluster. On the Spoon, one of the three plug-ins is not even there, there is a hollow spot. It is the spot where the Yellow plug-in should be, like the stock one. You can actually unsnap the little area around the yellow plug-in on the stock yellow plug and take it out, and i thought...oh....well i can just take it out and snap it in the spoon....NO....doesnt work that way.....!!!!....well...it wont fit.....the spot on the Spoon hollow spot is too small for it to fit.....i am stuck. I plugged in the two wiring harnesses that plug-in to the Spoon cluster, and everything works fine except for these problems. The Temp and Fuel gauges do not read right, plus when I turn the left or right blinkers, BOTH blink instead of just one, but on the outside which I checked, everything appears fine....so the cluster is wacky. What in gods name could be going on? Any clue? Please help me, pleaseee!!!! I am sure this one little harness that plugs in should correct everything, but It wont go.
Old 12-20-2001, 12:49 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: I just bought a Spoon Meter Assembly(Spoon Cluster) and there is a problem with a wiring harness

Are the Internal Wiring Harnesses different between JDM and USDM? Because Id go off ona limb and say the cluster was made for the JDM harness.

Suprdave
Old 12-20-2001, 12:52 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Default Re: I just bought a Spoon Meter Assembly(Spoon Cluster) and there is a problem with a wiring harness

You have the use the black back part/bezel of the USDM gauge and insert the JDM gauges into that.

Ben at A&J Racing told me something close to that...

[Modified by Big Phat R, 1:52 PM 12/20/2001]
Old 12-20-2001, 12:54 PM
B*a*n*n*e*d

Location: Drinking Beer in sunny FL and jamming to Skid Row, USA

You have the use the black back part/bezel of the USDM gauge and insert the JDM gauges into that.
Old 12-20-2001, 12:56 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I think you got the 96 spec cluster instead of the 98 spec. Easy way to solve this is to swap the speedometer and odometer etc with your USDM one.
Old 12-20-2001, 12:58 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

the yellow plug is just for your SRS light.
Old 12-20-2001, 12:58 PM
B*a*n*n*e*d

Ben at A&J Racing told me something close to that...

[Modified by Big Phat R, 1:52 PM 12/20/2001]
BINGO!
Old 12-20-2001, 02:30 PM

Forgive me, I do not quite understand what you are saying. The black back part of the bezel? Explain in Lamens terms! Hehe.
Old 12-20-2001, 02:36 PM
sgT
Honda-Tech Member

transfer all of the spoon gauges into your original cluster.

Or sell the spoon cluster to me
Old 12-20-2001, 03:21 PM
Founding Member

Ok this is very easy, Do the following to The Spoon and OEM clusters

1. - Look at the back of your cluster There are 3 inset screws left, center, and right, Remove them
2. - You can now seperate the black section of the cluster from the white section, you will have to push on the plastic tabs to seperate them.
3. - Remove the Screws that hold in each of the gauges {Important} To make sure you dont mix everything up swap out 1 gauge at a time between clusters.
4. - Now that all the gauges are transfered, Look at the Black sections from the front You will notice that the Icons on a few of the Spoon Ones are different, You dont have to But if you want the (0) Brake Icon from the Spoon Cluster just remove the icon plate pops right off and switch the 2 between clusters.
5. Reassemble the clusters - Black section pops into the white one, then put the 3 screws in the back back in.

You now should have Your original OEM Cluster housing with Spoon Gauges in it, The JDM (0) Brake icon and your good to go Plug her in and its set

Enjoy

PS That was all off memory so If I missed a section forgive me
Old 12-20-2001, 03:26 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Spoon Cluster Installation for Dummies
Old 12-20-2001, 03:29 PM
Founding Member

This post will come in handy in the future im sure
Old 12-20-2001, 03:29 PM
New User

i read somewhere that for the Spoon cluster to work in a newer integra some mod. was necessary due to the imobilizer system. Is this true?
Old 12-20-2001, 03:35 PM
B*a*n*n*e*d

Location: Drinking Beer in sunny FL and jamming to Skid Row, USA

i read somewhere that for the Spoon cluster to work in a newer integra some mod. was necessary due to the imobilizer system. Is this true?
Again, just swap the gauges from the spoon to the stock oem cluster housing/motherboard.
Old 12-20-2001, 03:38 PM

So I should strip my $650 cluster and modify my stock? You have to be kidding me.
Old 12-20-2001, 03:43 PM
Founding Member

Ok I guess I have to explain this a bit more
There are 2 Spoon Clusters 96 Spec and 98 Spec, Only difference is in 98 They changed a few pins around on the 16 pin plug, Pins 1 and 3 have to be switched.

If you have a 96 Spec Spoon Cluster (seems the majority are)
They will plug into any 96-97 DC2, And It should also plug right in for 94-95.
To fit it into a 98-99 DC2 you have 3 Choices (1) Switch Pins 1 and 3 on the 16pin plug (2) Switch the gauges around as listed above (3) Just switch the Electronic Film between the 2 clusters. (You will still have to switch a few icons as stated above)
If you have a 00-01 (Which has the immobilizer) It will have an extra wire added for the Immobilizer Icons light and also a few pins on the other plugs are switched around, The easier choice for this would be to follow the instructions above where you switch out all the gauges.

If You have a 98 Spec Cluster
For 94-97 DC2 you will have the 3 choices as above Pins, switching out or film
For 98-99 It plugs right in
For 00-01 it is the same as above.

If you have a 98 Cluster
Old 12-20-2001, 03:45 PM
Founding Member

So I should strip my $650 cluster and modify my stock? You have to be kidding me.
Your not stripping your cluster, It is what has to be done to make a JDM Cluster work. Its not such a hard thing to do, just takes about an hour to do. It's like getting a JDM Header, You have to get a custom cat or modify your OEM, Not every OEM mod is plug and play
Old 12-20-2001, 04:07 PM
Honda-Tech Member

the yellow plug is just for your SRS light.
thats what i thought too
Old 12-20-2001, 06:18 PM
Honda-Tech Member

It probably said JDM on the box so he figured he had to have it.
Old 12-20-2001, 06:33 PM

Pardon me if I am a little scared to just start taking everyones word for it and start tearing apart something I paid a lot for.

To naturalvx,

Okie dokie! LOL.