Notices
Acura Integra Type-R All Integra Type R Discussions

Hood lock worth putting?

Search this Thread

Old 01-04-2002, 03:25 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Hood lock worth putting?

Hi everyone,

I just bought a type r and am getting top of the line custom alarm installed to keep my car from getting jacked. I had a gsr which got broken into, then two weeks later, stolen. After thinking for a long time, I decided I'll get a type r though it is more of a bait. But to compensate for that, I am getting an awesome alarm system installed, and am going to add in extra security measures to keep my car from getting stolen (unless a tow truck comes, though if it does come, I'll know if they are taking it or not with the paging alarm system).

Anyhow, so one other security thing I heard about is adding a hood lock. Is that really worth putting it? The reason I would put it is to make it inaccessible to go to the battery cable and/or the starter wire near the engine that I can unplug.

I've read differing opinions about it being useful or not, but I guess my question is, will it keep the theives from accessing the interior of the hood if I add a hood lock? Can they easily by pass that by taking off the bumper and other pieces?

Thanks!
Old 01-04-2002, 03:29 PM

Default Re: Hood lock worth putting? (ichikoo)

if they want your car, it doesn't matter, they are going to get it - the more precautions, the more you weed out the less professional theives.
Old 01-04-2002, 03:39 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: Hood lock worth putting? (RealTypeR)

i suggest an autolock! http://www.autolock.com lock your clutch and they can't do much
Old 01-04-2002, 03:48 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Seriously though, if they really want your car they will get it. With antitheft devices you'll protect yourself against amatuers.
Old 01-04-2002, 04:23 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Hood lock worth putting? (B2FiNiTY)

hell yeah. the last time someone tried to steal my car tried to pull my hood cable thru the fender. but i had a hoodlock and they didn't get thru

there are ways of protecting the hoodlock, but i'm not going to say it in public. but like everyone else said... if they really want it, there is nothing that can stop them... short of lojack i guess.

who was it here who had his teg stolen because they cut a hole thru his bumper skin to get at the lock? does ne1 still have the pics?
Old 01-04-2002, 04:28 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

if some one can't steal it they'll just trash it instead. would you rather have it gone and insurance money in your hand or a car that is completely trashed that you have to get fixed?

besides, I always make sure that I have an extra thick layer of dirt/brake dust to protect my ITR
Old 01-04-2002, 04:54 PM

So the general concensus, is to not worry about it if it's annoying to put it on?

I understand that if someone wants it, they WILL take it, but I was wondering how effective it is toward the theives. Maybe I should ask this.

How many of you have it and felt like it has helped them?

Thanks
Old 01-04-2002, 05:44 PM
Honda-Tech Member

ABSOLUTLEY! You MUST get one asap. You should consider your car so unsafe without one to the point where you are paranoid- seriously. Popping the hood to disconnect the battery and/or cut the siren wires is the #1 way hondas/acuras are stolen. Honda did a very foolish thing when ther routed that hood release cable. Without a hoodlock a thief can get under the hood and disable the alarm in seconds. Even if the alarm goes off, it will only be a few seconds until the batt. is disconnected or the siren is cut. No one will pay attention to an alarm that only goes off for a few seconds. You shouldnt have such a fatalistic mentality. If a thief wants your car, they COULD rent a truck, hook up a chain to hour tow hitch and just drag the car away. But this dosent mean that you should take a defenseless posture. If a theft is in progress, you should be aware of it. Your primary goals in designing a security system should be:

1. Making sure you are alerted the moment someone begins to tamper with the car
2. Making sure there are enough auxiliary devices to keep the thief
busy while you are alerted
3. Making sure your system cannot be easily disabled
4. Making sure that the thief cannot tamper with your car in a stealthy manner.
5. Making sure your security is layered.

This means you must use a combination of physical and electronic devices.
Some physical devices are: the club with full steering wheel cover, autolock, hoodlock, car cover, driveway post.

Some electronic devices are: alarm, paging system, proximity sensor, flood lights, security camera.

What I wrote in another post:

there is a simple solution to prevent getting towed from your driveway, it is very populr in NYC. It is a 4 foot high iron or steel post that goes about one foot down into a reinforced hole that is cut in the concrete and locked with an industrial padlock. You park your car in front of this post and it prevents towing. When used in conjunction with motion sensitive security lights and a camera or in-house alarm, this can be very effective because a thief wont be able to get anywhere neat the post without being discovered. And get a pager! Alarms do no good if you dont know when they go off. When used in conjunction with a proximity sensor this device can alert you before a thief even touches the car. And if you have a car cover, there is no way a thief can get in or near the car without your knowledge because they will have to remove or cut the cover to disarm the alarm, and since you have a prox. sensor and a pager you are alerted instantly. So I am advising you guys with driveways/carports/garages what security to use. Driveway post, security lights and camera, car cover, and pager with prox. sensor. And this stuff is not expensive. True, some thieves are very determined, but there is no reason for someone to be touching your car in your own driveway without your knowledge.

So as you can see, there are affordable devices that you can get to take the advantage away from even the most seasoned car thief. And this dosent mean spending big bucks on a top of the alarm system. No one device will keep you safe, so please consider what have said here and plan your security accordingly.

Old 01-04-2002, 07:57 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Don't let all those naysayers give you that defeatist attitude toward thieves. If your car is really easy to steal (like leaving the keys in the car, for example), then the first person to try will definitely steal it. Your goal is to make it a pain in the butt to steal your car. That will make most thieves give up, shifting the odds on your side. Make the guy earn his time in hell!

A hood lock is definitely a good deterrent, increasing the time it takes to defeat the alarm.
Old 01-04-2002, 09:08 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Hood lock worth putting? (Gansan)

You can't go wrong with a hoodlock.
Old 01-04-2002, 11:11 PM

Default Re: Hood lock worth putting? (H-PIMP)

1. Park your car in your garage. And install a security bar in the middle of your driveway.

2. When you go out, park at Parking Lots that pays hourly fees, I wouldn't mind paying $2 more and walk more distance...and always bring the parking ticket with you. Park in between vans or jeeps...or close to the guards enough to let them hear the alarm. Never park in parking lots with parking valets.
Old 01-04-2002, 11:13 PM
New User

Default Re: Hood lock worth putting? (nEoMuGen)

Why wouldn't you get one.. thats the question.
Old 01-05-2002, 07:49 AM
Honda-Tech Member

1. Park your car in your garage. And install a security bar in the middle of your driveway.

2. When you go out, park at Parking Lots that pays hourly fees, I wouldn't mind paying $2 more and walk more distance...and always bring the parking ticket with you. Park in between vans or jeeps...or close to the guards enough to let them hear the alarm. Never park in parking lots with parking valets.
argh... the hourly fee lots are not that good

my friend lost his car this way at university. he took the stub with him but his car was stolen nonetleless. the police questioned the parking guy and he said the thief who stole his car just said he had lost the stub and he paid the full all-day parking fee penalty and they let him go... car was never seen again
Old 01-05-2002, 07:57 AM

Default Re: Hood lock worth putting? (Benjamin Tang)

Those " hourly fee lots " is just like a supermarket for the thief......IMO, especially those lots with many levels ......

Old 01-05-2002, 12:26 PM

Ok, so I'm convinced that I should get one. Now, is there a type that I should get? Or only one type available?

If it's not good to post in a public, can you email me at ko_junk@yahoo.com?
Old 01-05-2002, 01:17 PM

Default Re: Hood lock worth putting? (Benjamin Tang)

argh... the hourly fee lots are not that good

my friend lost his car this way at university. he took the stub with him but his car was stolen nonetleless. the police questioned the parking guy and he said the thief who stole his car just said he had lost the stub and he paid the full all-day parking fee penalty and they let him go... car was never seen again
That's why I always show my face and greets the parking guy nicely so he know what race and how I look like. And lock the car and park near the parking guys so he can hear the alarm. I know my hang out places well and found ones with $2 per hour...so it's not bad. But if park at big metropolitans...that will be a different story.
Old 01-05-2002, 01:23 PM
Honda-Tech Member

That's why I always show my face and greets the parking guy nicely so he know what race and how I look like. And lock the car and park near the parking guys so he can hear the alarm. I know my hang out places well and found ones with $2 per hour...so it's not bad. But if park at big metropolitans...that will be a different story.
if conditions were only so ideal all the time... a 5 level parkade, with hundreds of student cars, and you're parked for the entire class day... the parking guys won't remember every car and they have shift changes... sigh.

some of u locals might know the rose garden parkade at UBC... i went there on first day of night school and the attendant took one look at me and said "don't park here unless you don't want to see your car again"... fair warning