Notices
Acura Integra Type-R All Integra Type R Discussions

HID illegal?

Old 07-24-2003, 11:26 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default HID illegal?

Guys, I just read a thread in one of the bmw's forum, saying that HID is illegal. I wonder if it's true. Anybody here heard about this??

this is the link
http://forum.e46fanatics.com/s...harge
Old 07-24-2003, 11:31 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: HID illegal? (xanctus)

Search the GDD forum. There is like 4 thread s going on about it.

HID's have always been illegal. This is legislation to make the sale of them illegal too.

But like more the half the stuff for our vehicles if you just label as off road use only then the distributors will dodge the legal bullet.

Hell don't most if not all HID kits come with that disclaimer for retrofits.....I know mine did.
Old 07-24-2003, 11:37 AM

Default Re: HID illegal? (Chris N)

i think trevor at VD has a letter from catz about it.
Old 07-24-2003, 11:46 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: HID illegal? (RiCE On IcE 2)

trevor got a letter from catz, i talked to him yest on the phone...sale hid's illegal starting 8/15/03
Old 07-24-2003, 11:47 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Most OEM HIDs have auto-leveling features which are missing on aftermarket systems.

I can understand why they are illegal.
Old 07-24-2003, 11:51 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: HID illegal? (swtxaznrac3r)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by swtxaznrac3r &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">trevor got a letter from catz, i talked to him yest on the phone...sale hid's illegal starting 8/15/03</TD></TR></TABLE>

Aftermarket only, or OEM as well?
Old 07-24-2003, 11:57 AM
sgT
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: HID illegal? (Mugen Mike)

OEM is legal. JDM OEM does not count. USDM only.
Old 07-24-2003, 12:09 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

HID is not illegal, It will be Illegal for any Vendors to sell aftermarket HID kits after 8/15/03. They will still be legal as an OEM option on new cars. If you live in California, they will probly make you carry a reciept showing when you bought your kit.
Old 07-24-2003, 12:34 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: HID illegal? (SlapSmak)

I repeat: HID retrofit kits have been, will be, and will continue to be illegal for use on regular roads.
Old 07-24-2003, 02:42 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts
Default Re: HID illegal? (Apex i ITR)

let me show you what you said:

"HID's have always been illegal. This is legislation to make the sale of them illegal too."

you did not include the words "kits, retrofit," or any other words differentiating OEM HID's from aftermarket HID kits. You said, by your statement "ALL" So I will clarify:

OEM HID's, if installed in the factory are LEGAL. ANY aftermarket HID's are illegal for street use. After 8/15/03, you will not be able to buy HID aftermarket kits in the USA legally.

dont be a dick, dick
Old 07-24-2003, 03:09 PM

Default Re: HID illegal? (SlapSmak)

There's a big problem with lights on the exterior/interior here in vancouver.... It wouldn't surprise me if something is done about it..... I gotta put my HID's on but I still hate when I drive by a car with hid's too because it blinds the **** out of meh.
Old 07-24-2003, 04:03 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: HID illegal? (4-1-1)

Has anyone tried to get onto Trevor's site? I can't seem to get on.
Old 07-24-2003, 05:49 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 52 Likes on 46 Posts
Default Re: HID illegal? (Big Phat R)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Big Phat R &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Most OEM HIDs have auto-leveling features which are missing on aftermarket systems.

I can understand why they are illegal.</TD></TR></TABLE>

I'm pretty sure only European cars w/ HID have auto levellers because they are required by law over there. Hondas do not have auto-levelling on any of their HID applications. Not sure about American cars w/ HID.
Old 07-24-2003, 06:17 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: HID illegal? (PatrickGSR94)

new STi's have an in car adjustment for hids they're kool.. i was playing with it all the way back from vegas :D .. but it's not auto..
Old 07-24-2003, 07:29 PM
H-T Order of Merit

That post is discussed in this topic on NSXprime and the general consensus is that the guy is either misinformed or stupid, or both.

There is absolutely nothing about banning HID's on the NHTSA website. Sounds bogus to me.

Those who are claiming here that HID's become illegal after August 15, please cite a reputable website - either a government website, or a reliable news source - to prove that this isn't just a bunch of baloney. Because if it's true, you ought to be able to find it on a reputable website; if you can't find it on a reputable website, it probably isn't true.
Old 07-24-2003, 09:11 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: HID illegal? (nsxtasy)

oem hid also has proper projectors for the HID housing to make sure the light is evenly distributed and has a sharp cutoff (which yes, you can *almost* get with integra projectors)

my Phillips Kit also stated : Use of these bulbs in non UV protective coated lenses (which I don't think we have) is bad/causes cancer/baldness something to that effect (ok...so I paraphrased)

-Rage
Old 07-27-2003, 06:54 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: HID illegal? (o_Rage_o)

Read more here: http://hidforum.com/forum/show...d=613

and the reason why you can't just say "For Off Road Use Only" on saftey devices (headlights are considered so):

http://www.nhtsa.dot.gov/cars/....html
Old 07-27-2003, 08:33 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: HID illegal? (nsxtasy)

http://www.network54.com/Hide/...45635

Please pay attention to Mr. 108, a NHTSA engineer.
Old 07-27-2003, 09:09 PM
New User

legal or not does it matter ? people are still going to use it, as long there are needs for HID there will be people selling them.
have an after market header exhuast on your car is illegal too. but does anyone give a shiiiit ? does anyone know if you ever crash your car and insurance see that nice smsp header sitting in your car they have the rights not to cover you, since it's modified car..
not a big deal if HID is legal or not isnt it.
for people out there with HID please please adjust your head light aim. too many dumbass out there aim thier HID at people's eyes. that's why they have this new law now. if everyone aim their hid good i dont think they would ever ban HIDs.
Old 07-27-2003, 09:28 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: HID illegal? (GettaluvR)

i suspect its the idiots using unmodified reflector housings that are causing the most problems

this includes civics, crx, etc.
Old 07-27-2003, 10:53 PM
too old for school

They should make all HID's illegal, even OEM, because they are blinding. They are a waste of money anyway. I never understood what is so cool about lights being brighter then everyone else's???
Old 07-28-2003, 06:09 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: HID illegal? (Soup ****)

Or the guys running 9000K+ kits
Old 07-28-2003, 07:28 AM
H-T Order of Merit

Default Re: HID illegal? (ff_terror)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by ff_terror &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">They should make all HID's illegal, even OEM, because they are blinding.</TD></TR></TABLE>

Nonsense. If the system is beam corrected (which many cheap aftermarket kits are not), and if the lights are aimed properly, they won't blind anyone.

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by ff_terror &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">They are a waste of money anyway. I never understood what is so cool about lights being brighter then everyone else's???</TD></TR></TABLE>

You've obviously never driven a car with HID headlights at night.
Old 07-28-2003, 07:50 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: HID illegal? (ff_terror)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by ff_terror &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">They should make all HID's illegal, even OEM, because they are blinding. They are a waste of money anyway. I never understood what is so cool about lights being brighter then everyone else's???</TD></TR></TABLE>

If you don't know what you are talking about, don't say anything.

OEM HID's are great. Almost always the cutoff is such that oncoming drivers are not 'blinded'.

They aren't a waste of money, especially after you have driven a car with HIDs at night. BIG difference, and it really helps if you live somewhere with very dark, winding roads.

It isn't about being 'cool'. Well, maybe it is to you. But they are a big deal safety-wise.
Old 07-28-2003, 08:18 AM
H-T Order of Merit

Default Re: HID illegal? (George Knighton)

A high-quality, beam-corrected, properly-aimed HID system has a very sharp horizontal cutoff. That means that it projects very little light at an angle where other drivers would be blinded; virtually all the light is projected downward, onto the road ahead.

If you are blinding other drivers, that means either your headlights are not aimed correctly, or you have a system which is not beam-corrected (meaning that the position of the bulb within the housing is adjusted so that the projection pattern is in the proper direction).

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: HID illegal?