Notices
Acura Integra Type-R All Integra Type R Discussions

Helicoil inserts in head for exhaust manifold

Search this Thread

Old 10-20-2008, 11:29 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Helicoil inserts in head for exhaust manifold

I had a bit of an exhaust leak at the head, so I took the exhaust manifold off. I threw all the bolts in a tray, and when I was re-installing the exhaust manifold, noticed that two of the bolts had helicoils threaded on them. I have no idea which holes these came out of, and the bolts all seemed to torque down okay.

My question: Did Honda install heli-coils in the head from factory? this would make sense since you have a steel bolt in aluminium head in an area of high temperature fluctuations. Pretty standard engineering practice. Or, did someone damage the threads, and try to fix them with heli-coils? I can't find any indication that Honda did this, but it makes sense that they would, so who knows....
Old 10-20-2008, 11:31 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Honda did NOT install them from the factory. Sounds like someone messed up the threads previously and used this to fix their issue.
Old 10-20-2008, 12:12 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (Dave_B)

I have this problem on my Motor as well in the same place. I think Honda/Acura will use helicoil to repair the problem if it is taken to them to be fixed. I asked them about this last week and Helicoil is the method they would use to repair my problem, and this is not something they do from the factory.

I'm curious to know what was leaking?

P.S. Is it just me or does anyone else have a "Time Insert" Ad at the bottom of this page.
Are they the same (Time Insert vs Helicoil Insert)? I've heard that one is better than the other, and i'm curious to know what is everyones preference. Sorry for the slight thread jack.
Old 10-20-2008, 12:16 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (CWTegRNo.160)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by CWTegRNo.160 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">I have this problem on my Motor as well in the same place. I think Honda/Acura will use helicoil to repair the problem if it is taken to them to be fixed. I asked them about this last week and Helicoil is the method they would use to repair my problem, and this is not something they do from the factory.

I'm curious to know what was leaking?

P.S. Is it just me or does anyone else have a "Time Insert" Ad at the bottom of this page.
Are they the same (Time Insert vs Helicoil Insert)? I've heard that one is better than the other, and i'm curious to know what is everyones preference. Sorry for the slight thread jack.</TD></TR></TABLE>

I'm sure the majority of mechanics/shops will use this method if they have the problem .

And like Dave said, this does not come this way from the factory.
Old 10-20-2008, 12:19 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (CWTegRNo.160)

Thanks for the info.

It was just exhaust gas leaking from between the mating surfaces of exhaust manifold and the head. Problem seems to be fixed now, but I have two holes which apparently should have helicoils and now do not. I might have to take it off again and inspect all the threads. I don't know why Honda didn't use studs...

As for Heli-coil versus the time inserts, they're a different product with the same purpose.

The helicoil looks like a coiled spring, it's only a set of steel threads. You open the hole oversize, thread them in, and it restores the original thread pitch.

The time inserts is a solid bushing with inner and outer threads. You open the hole oversize, thread the bushing in, then install your bolt on the inside.

I don't know which is better, I've never used the time inserts. We use helicoils all the time in the aerospace industry.
Old 10-20-2008, 12:24 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (Scotty2H)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Scotty2H &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Thanks for the info.

It was just exhaust gas leaking from between the mating surfaces of exhaust manifold and the head. Problem seems to be fixed now, but I have two holes which apparently should have helicoils and now do not. I might have to take it off again and inspect all the threads. I don't know why Honda didn't use studs...

As for Heli-coil versus the time inserts, they're a different product with the same purpose.

The helicoil looks like a coiled spring, it's only a set of steel threads. You open the hole oversize, thread them in, and it restores the original thread pitch.

The time inserts is a solid bushing with inner and outer threads. You open the hole oversize, thread the bushing in, then install your bolt on the inside.

I don't know which is better, I've never used the time inserts. We use helicoils all the time in the aerospace industry. </TD></TR></TABLE>

If all bolt s snugged to factory specs.....leave it alone.
Old 10-20-2008, 03:10 PM
official honda whore

Default Re: (Scotty2H)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Scotty2H &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote"> I might have to take it off again and inspect all the threads. I don't know why Honda didn't use studs...

. </TD></TR></TABLE>

honda used studs in the 98+ B series vtec motors and maybe even the non vtec models as far as i know
Old 10-20-2008, 03:12 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (EARLdaSQUIRREL)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by EARLdaSQUIRREL &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

honda used studs in the 98+ B series vtec motors and maybe even the non vtec models as far as i know</TD></TR></TABLE>

they used them up until about 96, then they cut back to just using two studs at the end so you could line up the exhaust when bolting it on.

You can buy the OEM studs @ the dealer, just go tell them you have a 92 GSR or something.

Just another way for honda to save an extra couple bucks.