Notices
Acura Integra Type-R All Integra Type R Discussions

Dyno results, very dissapointing.....tuning to blame?

Search this Thread

Old 07-20-2006, 02:06 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 20 Likes on 14 Posts
Default Dyno results, very dissapointing.....tuning to blame?

ok, im going to try to make a long story short. I had my car tuned @ the dyno 1 year ago with less modifications at a different shop and everything was fine. Sense then i added a few things and wanted to have it re-tuned. I took it to a diff shop for the re-tune because the other was booked for 1-2 months. When i got it there they couldnt get a signal from hondata and told me it was my wiring harness "i had vamp clips on the harness from previous owner". They re-did the harness @ $60 an hour 4.5 hours labor. They then say its still not working because the hondatas200 unit can only run base maps....then later admit they no-longer have there dealer s200 box because it was stolen. After trying to get me to upgrade they ended up replacing the wire from hondata box to ecu and the mystery was solved. Solid connection....
They then proceed to tuning and anything about 5k rpm's would run very lean and lose fuel pressure at the filter. Tried the stock fpr but same problem so they replaced the fuel filter and its fixed. Now they kept the stock one on because they say the aem is messed up. The aem unit has about 25 miles on it.

Now they tune it and say it made 178whp/123tq and they could get more power if i had a newer version s200 unit. Before the complete msd ignition, better intake, header wrap, cams and cam-shafts 1 year ago it made 174whp/134tq. They also said my distributer is seized to the motor which makes no sense because i just had it off 3 days before bringing it to there shop for tuning when i added a new cap, rotor and all that other msd stuff'.

now they said its tuned but the results are disgusting'

tuning from 1 year ago at a diff shop made:
174whp/134tq while over-heating

sense then i added cam-shafts, cams, better intake, header wrap, e-cut out, msd cap, rotor, box, coil, wires, hotter ngk plugs and it made
178whp/123wtq as it sits at there shop

to me this is a case of some-1 tuning a car that dosnt know what there doing. they are a "hondata" dealer how-ever they have really been beating around the bush. my hondata is an older "stage" system how-ever its still capable of the same maps and so fourth that should make the same exact power as any other newer hondata unit only differences is the way its tuned and the newers one's have more option's. "they kept pushing me to upgrade my system telling me thats the problem with it and that a newer s200 would make more power blah blah blah"

my set-up

00 jdm itr swap "less then 30k miles"
j's carbon fiber intake
jdm 4-1 header w/wrap
greddy full catback 2.5" exhaust
2.5" electronic exhaust cut out
aem fpr "brand new but they said its messed up" so stock fpr being used
holley 255 fuel pump
hondata stage system w/chipped p28 ecu

skunk2 cam gears
skunk2 cam shafts

All said and done they said this is the most this motor can make and that it needs a newer s200 to make more power and my total bill for the wiring and tuning is $495.

I think 80% of what they said is bull-**** and they dont know how to tune a car. I feel like i should only pay about $150 at the most for the trouble and bull **** they speak. My cars been there 4 weeks, they"ve replaced alot of things @ my expense because they didnt trouble-shoot or apparently know what was wrong.

Just looking for opinions on the matter as im picking up my car first thing tomarrow mourning!

Old 07-20-2006, 02:16 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Re: Dyno results, very dissapointing.....tuning to blame? (digital sol)

i'd say. it's time for compression and leak down test.
my compression was like 220 220 180 220
my car made **** power 164 whp when it had leaking CYL #2 valves. and i was expecting at least 180 ish whp.
Old 07-20-2006, 02:20 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Could be your motor/build that is the problem. Do compression and leakdown like 1244 said

Why are you using MSD ignition?
Old 07-20-2006, 02:23 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Dyno results, very dissapointing.....tuning to blame? (Big Phat R)

last compression check was 240 all the way across, burns 0 oil between change intervals, less then 30k on motor'

im running msd ignition because i already had it laying around from previous set-up on a diff motor and wanted to put it to use', ive never had any issues with it.

ill do another test after i get it back'
Old 07-20-2006, 02:29 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Get rid of the MSD i ran into lots of problems with mine. I did mod after mod and never gained any power til the msd box went out. I put back on the stock one and it was a hugh gain.

Just my .02

Chris

Hope this helps alittle
Old 07-20-2006, 03:15 PM

Man I just experienced the same dissappointment with my recent upgrade. Here is the link.

https://honda-tech.com/zerothread?id=1672992

Like what I mentioned in the thread, I decided to quickly transfer to a new tuner the same day I pulled out my car from the previous tuner. I know tuning is not that simple, but I can smell B.S. when they start telling you things that don't make sense. Like in my case, the guy told me that Jun 3's were not good and that I should buy crower 402's from him! It does'nt get better than that!

I am not sure about hondata s200's but from what you said I think they gave you a lot of B.S. I would definitely go to a different tuner.
Old 07-20-2006, 03:25 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

honestly, all those "performance parts" you added are more like maintenance items at best, except the cams. I wouldnt expect to gain much from any of it. granted it could be partially tuning related, but things like hotter plugs, ecut outs, msd cRaps, rotor, wires, all that stuff isnt going to result in much. If you really want to get some results, might want to stop wasting your money on that nonsense, and just go to a good tuner that can ensure its making the most power possible, safely.
Old 07-20-2006, 04:09 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (RTW DC2R)

im taking the car to chicago

"whip-factory"

to have it re-tuned, i spoke with them and we are on the same basis, meanwhile im going to add a few things and change a few things, im going to get some bigger injectors and upgrade the header
Old 07-20-2006, 07:19 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (RTW DC2R)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by RTW DC2R &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">honestly, all those "performance parts" you added are more like maintenance items at best, except the cams. </TD></TR></TABLE>
hey he said he did cams, and cam shafts!

no two dynos dyno the same.
seems like your difference is completely negligible.
sounds like you got 5 ponies from cams.
Old 07-20-2006, 07:31 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Re: (digital sol)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by digital sol &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">im taking the car to chicago

"whip-factory"

to have it re-tuned, i spoke with them and we are on the same basis, meanwhile im going to add a few things and change a few things, im going to get some bigger injectors and upgrade the header
</TD></TR></TABLE>

What header do you have now? What cams?

Dave's a good guy, he's done a lot of work for me (built this motor, tuned it a few times through it's evolution, a couple of clutches and a flywheel, etc.)

-Chris
Old 07-21-2006, 02:48 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (Chris F)

jdm 4-1, w/header wrap, no dents, no damages...looks fresh

skunk2 stage 1 cam-shafts
skunk2 6 bolt cam gears

i know the tuning is ****...i went from 134tq to 123tq after tuning....and 174whp while overheating to 178whp with more supporting mods and cam's etc' "it was overheating the first time it was tuned like 8 months ago because radiator problems but its fixed now"

im getting it re-tuned asap @ whipfactory and im going to upgrade injectors and maybe the header before tuning....but it should be at least around 180-185whp....most dynos ive seen are 190+ with my set-up'.....
Old 07-21-2006, 07:26 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (digital sol)

I have similiar mods you have and came out 177 hp @120ft. lbs. Im still not happy with the tuning....My car runs rich as hell and has a dip on the vtec crossover....Paid $300 for my tuning....

177hp and 120ft lbs.
-96 Jdm ITR / LSD
-Buddy club spec IV cams, gears, dual valve springs, and retainers
-Chipped p28 w/ hondata s200
-Skunk2 68mm throttle
-B&M fuel pressure and guage
-DC headers 4-1 2.5 collector
-Rsr exhaust
-HKS filter
-rc 370cc injectors
-skunk2 manifold

Old 07-21-2006, 07:41 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: (CNSK)

Chunk that header.

I made 184-133 on a nearly stock GSR motor (on my 17s/vision header). ITR cams, skunk2 manifold and the regular bolt ons with the straight pipe. That was tuned with a Neptune. How does your AF readings look?

Modified by migs at 1:46 PM 7/21/2006
Old 07-21-2006, 10:23 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (CNSK)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by CNSK &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">I have similiar mods you have and came out 177 hp @120ft. lbs. Im still not happy with the tuning....My car runs rich as hell and has a dip on the vtec crossover....Paid $300 for my tuning....

177hp and 120ft lbs.
-96 Jdm ITR / LSD
-Buddy club spec IV cams, gears, dual valve springs, and retainers
-Chipped p28 w/ hondata s200
-Skunk2 68mm throttle
-B&M fuel pressure and guage
-DC headers 4-1 2.5 collector
-Rsr exhaust
-HKS filter
-rc 370cc injectors
-skunk2 manifold

</TD></TR></TABLE>

that is really low #. i made 186 whp and 129 tq on my jdm itr with i/h/e crome tuned. Maybe those BC4 cams are holding you back. Might need some more compression.
Old 07-21-2006, 10:26 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (realis9)

why did you switch the type r IM for the skunk IM? I thought they were the same.
Old 07-21-2006, 05:46 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (realis9)

got my car back

final numbers are

178whp/122tq

13.5 af, dips to 13.2 at 8-9k'

there were 0 cam gear adjustments made because he says he couldnt get the distributer to budge off the block, says it feels seized so he left it alone and just tuned it as it was.....also said my hondata is a staged unit so its really time consuming and a pain to tune with...

im going to fix the distributer problem myself, upgrade to a newer s200 unit, get bigger injectors "current injectors are 86%, and going to a different tuner'

he also said msd was creating a disturance/resistance

so basically im going to fix a few little things here and there and upgrade the s200 unit and get it re-tuned by a diff guy, leaving the msd on unless the other tuner says remove it'

i dont know a whole lot about dyno graphs etc but it is very choppy....the lines dont have a smooth curve instead they going from flat to like striaght up and then straight across, instead of a smooth incline all the way up like most i see'....the whp/tq line is really jumpy "not smooth increase"