Acura Integra Type-R All Integra Type R Discussions

Comptech exhaust? illegal?

Search this Thread

Old 03-08-2002, 02:42 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Comptech exhaust? illegal?

i have the streetpro axle back exhaust?
cop says it's illegal and ticketed me for it...
where are the carb plates for this piece?

how do i prove that it's legal
Old 03-08-2002, 02:56 AM

Default Re: Comptech exhaust? illegal? (comptechgsr)

how the hell and why the hell did they pull you over?? were you speeding or just minding your own beeezzzwackz??
Old 03-08-2002, 02:58 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Comptech exhaust? illegal? (cali-r)

pulled me over b/c they noticed my "louder than stock exhaust" and my "nonamber turn signals"

Old 03-08-2002, 03:20 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Sorry, sounds like they got you for a lot of stuff.
Old 03-08-2002, 04:01 AM
Trial User

Write comptech and see if you can get Decibel rating or CARB aproval for the exhaust.
Old 03-08-2002, 07:40 AM
Honda-Tech Member

i have the streetpro axle back exhaust?
cop says it's illegal and ticketed me for it...
where are the carb plates for this piece?

how do i prove that it's legal
Call Bob at Comptech and have him fax you a copy of the papers that say that the exhaust is legal...I think that I saw them tacked to the wall the last time I was up there. Comptech (916) 933-1080
Austin
Old 03-08-2002, 08:01 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 5 Likes on 1 Post
Default Re: Comptech exhaust? illegal? (George Knighton)

hehe, california sounds like a pain in the *** recently.
Old 03-08-2002, 08:05 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Comptech exhaust? illegal? (Austin)

I got a modified exhaust ticket for my DC Sports SS cat back. CHP pulled me over on a city street.. Pretty crazy, I was on it pulling out into traffic. At any rate, two points of note.

One - He said that I had a choice of it being a correctable or non-correctable fine. I could leave the exhaust on and pay a fine, or change it, and not pay a fine. I chose no fine.

Two - As I was pulling away, a Harley pulled out from a stop sign near by. It was 10 times louder than my car. The cop turned around and went the other direction. I shook my head in disgust...

I've been litearally deafened by Harley exhaust, yet I can listen to a Honda motor on a straight header and not think it's too loud. How many new Chevy trucks do you see with the big dual exhaust tips? Sorry for venting, i'm just feeling profiled here... I just need a copule deep breaths...

Reefer_Bob.
Old 03-08-2002, 08:14 AM
YodaIsGod

Default Re: Comptech exhaust? illegal? (reefer_bob)

Two - As I was pulling away, a Harley pulled out from a stop sign near by. It was 10 times louder than my car. The cop turned around and went the other direction. I shook my head in disgust...

I've been litearally deafened by Harley exhaust, yet I can listen to a Honda motor on a straight header and not think it's too loud. How many new Chevy trucks do you see with the big dual exhaust tips? Sorry for venting, i'm just feeling profiled here... I just need a copule deep breaths...

Reefer_Bob.
Notice you were in CA as well....well...somewhere in the CVC book, has something about exhausts and motorcycles. May have to do with the type of engine, and type of vehicle that excludes motorcycles from normal cars/trucks.
need to look that up again.
Old 03-08-2002, 08:17 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Comptech exhaust? illegal? (YodaIsGod)

Notice you were in CA as well....well...somewhere in the CVC book, has something about exhausts and motorcycles. May have to do with the type of engine, and type of vehicle that excludes motorcycles from normal cars/trucks.
need to look that up again.
Nope...any modification to a exhaust on a Harley is a ticketable offense...but since it's an "American Original" and everyone grew up with the sound of the Harley exhaust they don't even pay attention to it, hell they're probably going "Damn that Harley sound good...maybe I should get one for myself."
Old 03-08-2002, 08:21 AM
I shoot brides

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Re: Comptech exhaust? illegal?

goto the SEMA site, there's a new law stating that any exhaust is legal as long as it's under 95dB. It's supposed to stop exactly the thing you just experienced.
Old 03-08-2002, 10:19 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Comptech exhaust? illegal? (yoshi234)

Here is the link to the SEMA site:
http://www.sema.org/content/?ID=8133

This talks about the CHP, and mufflers. One note I like, "A turbocharger is not considered a muffler"... Props to Yoshi for knowing about this!

Cliffs Notes: All exhausts are legal if they're under 95dB.

Reefer_Bob.
Old 03-08-2002, 10:23 AM
Global Moderator

Default Re: Comptech exhaust? illegal? (George Knighton)

There are <u>many</u> states and localities where, technically, any aftermarket exhaust would be illegal because they are <u>all</u> louder than stock.
When I first made a custom exhaust for my 90 Integra, I checked the laws and there was no law regarding how loud you made your car. Two years later I get pulled over for "loud exhaust". I go home and check the laws and I found that they made a new law that any exhaust louder than stock is illegal.

Hawaii's exhaust law
getting a ticket for loud exhaust instead of speeding
Old 03-08-2002, 10:24 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I hate those harleys and their loud azz exhausts. They sound like $#!7.
Old 03-08-2002, 10:24 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Oh hell yeah...combine these three paragraphs, and you basically cannot receive a ticket for your exhaust unless you have flames or sparks shooting out of it:

"Q8: What are the noise levels specified in Sections 23130 and 23130.5 VC and how can they be enforced?

Sections 23130 and 23130.5 VC specify noise standards for vehicles operating on the highway (in-use vehicles), and are intended for use in actual traffic conditions. The limits of Section 23130 apply under all conditions of grade, load, acceleration and deceleration. The lower limits of Section 23130.5 apply only to relatively level roadways and under conditions of relatively constant speed. They specifically do not apply to areas of congested traffic that require noticeable acceleration or deceleration, or within 200 feet of an official traffic control device or change in grade. Although these sections were intended for use in actual traffic conditions, the complexities of noise testing require the testing be conducted in a relatively large open area free of other vehicles and large sound-reflecting objects. This makes in-use vehicle noise testing in most developed areas impractical, where noise complaints are most likely to occur. The CHP does not currently provide either the instrumentation or training necessary to conduct vehicle noise testing. Enforcement using Section 27150 or 27151 VC is usually more appropriate and effective.

Q9: What is the exhaust noise test specified in 13 CCR? Can this be used for enforcement?

Sections 1030-1036, 13 CCR, were intended to be used by Licensed Muffler Certification Stations as a means of determining if an exhaust system met the requirements of the Muffler Certification Program (when those programs were operational). They specify testing procedures for motor vehicle exhaust noise alone (as opposed to total vehicle noise). This procedure specifies a limit of 95 dB(A) measured 20 inches from the exhaust pipe outlet with the engine operating in neutral, typically at a speed of 3000-5000 rpm. (For comparison, a modern rotary lawn mower with a 5-horsepower Briggs & Stratton engine typically emits approximately 93 dB(A) at the same distance at full speed under no load.) It applies only to passenger vehicles. It does not apply to motorcycles or to vehicles over 6000 pounds gross weight.

Q10: Can this test be used in enforcement?

Not readily. Although much simpler than the test methods specified in Sections 23130 and 23130.5 VC, this test method still requires some technical expertise and a means to determine both the speed (rpm) of the engine under test (tachometer) and the rpm at which maximum horsepower of the engine is developed (information which may not always be readily available), as well as a sound level meter. It is not intended for roadside noise testing. The CHP does not currently provide either the instrumentation or training necessary to conduct exhaust noise testing.This test is useful, however, for determining if an aftermarket or performance exhaust system complies with VC requirements. It should be noted that the 95 dB(A) level, because it is intended as a simple "go-no-go" type of test, may permit exhaust noise somewhat higher than those permitted under Sections 27201-27206 VC. An exhaust system that complies with the requirements of Section 1036(d)(1), 13 CCR, is deemed to comply with Sections 27150 and 27151 VC."
Old 03-08-2002, 10:26 AM
Honda-Tech Member

http://arbis.arb.ca.gov/aftermkt/aftermkt.exe

check that link for your comptech exhaust carb EO number...hope it helps
Old 03-08-2002, 10:57 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Comptech exhaust? illegal? (SamChan)

SAMCHAN--there was an error in ur link
Old 03-08-2002, 11:24 AM
Trial User

Try this
http://www.arb.ca.gov/msprog/aftermk...es/devices.htm
Old 03-08-2002, 12:40 PM
Trial User

Default Re: Comptech exhaust? illegal? (StageOne)

I actually don't even think the OEM ITR exhaust is 95dB when it hits vtec. Last I recall it rated a 98dB on dB meter when it hit vtec.

Normally most aftermarket exhausts will be 95-98dB range during normal driving and Vtec could be around 100db on avg.

Most JDM exhaust I looked at avg. around 100-101dB ratings at wide open throttle..and around 97-98dB on normal driving.
Old 03-08-2002, 01:24 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Comptech exhaust? illegal? (Racer-X)

according to the law if the exhaust is only illegal if it exeeds 95 decibles which is measured 5 feet from the tailpipe at like 5000 rpm... needless to say the cops dont judge on this and they have no instrumentation to measure this.

so it all depends on the cop. most pay attention to my exhaust, but i have not gotten 1 ticket yet... the cops will tail me for a while and leave. I've had like 5 cops tail me. I have tested my exhuast with a decible meter and at its gotten past 95 dB at like 3000rpm by only a few ticks.

my past exhaust was at around high 80's or so and a cop heard me at WOT and was looking to give tickets, so he pulled me over and gave me a ticket for everything he could find. What did I do? Went to the CHP and got everything signed off. The cop listened to my exhaust and signed it off, no problems.

my friend got a ticket and the CHP officer didnt sign it off cuz she believed it was too loud. enter my dB meter and it stays below 95 dB at all times.

So the lesson here is to try and get it signed off. Rev it up only to like 3000rpm or whatever. Lower it is, the quieter it is. Just start it up and wait for the officer to ask you to rev it. And keep in mind to look for someone who seems friendly... mostly male officers cuz mostly all men have loved cars at one point or another.

Comptech exhaust should be legal. See if they have any documentation saying that it is 95 dB or lower and present that to the officer and they have to sign it off.

Worst case scenario, cop does not know the law and you take it to court.