Notices
Acura Integra Type-R All Integra Type R Discussions

Can you program transponder keys yourself ???

Search this Thread

Old 02-03-2017, 05:16 PM
GDD Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Re: Can you program transponder keys yourself ???

Originally Posted by shifts
Nothing like your first post to be on a 4 year old thread...

Scroll all the way up.

It's a 13 year old thread.
Old 02-03-2017, 11:10 PM
Trial User

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by slomofo
Scroll all the way up.

It's a 13 year old thread.

Thanks
Old 02-21-2017, 05:48 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by shifts
Nothing like your first post to be on a 4 year old thread...
This is kind of amusing, because there actually is a reason to revive this thread... I just bought a 2000 PY having only a single key. And so naturally, I want to get some additional keys made, and while I'm at it, I want some remote entry fobs. I searched on this forum, and found this thread.

In the 13 years since this thread was originally started, there have been significant changes in technology available to owners. For example, I discovered that I can buy a
key programmer key programmer
on Amazon for less than $100. Checking with my local locksmith, I found that he will cut a key for $3 and then either 1) clone a key for another $5, or 2) program the ECU using the ODB2 port for an $80 one-time fee.

The OEM transponder key for a 2000 Acura ITR is called an ID13. This type of key cannot be cloned. So, to make new keys, the key blanks must be cut and then the ECU must be programmed to accept the unique code in the new key. In the years since our cars were made, Honda came out with a retrofit key called a T5. If you buy a T5 key blank, it can be cloned to an existing key.

Being a geek at heart, I am tempted to purchase the key programmer, and do the job myself. But the total cost for two new keys is about the same if I just go to my local locksmith and use OEM ID13 blanks. If I buy T5 blanks, then the low-cost solution is to pay the locksmith. Both types of blanks are available on eBay for a few bucks. A limitation of the key programmer on Amazon is that it will only work with older cars -- I think 2009 is about the newest model year that will work. There are a variety of key-programmers and key-cloners for sale on Amazon, at prices currently ranging from $100 to $2000. If you want to try this yourself, be sure you understand the difference between cloning a key, and programming the ECU to accept a new key.

Finally, remote entry fobs are also readily available at this writing on eBay and Amazon for less than $20. They can be programmed by the user with some simple steps while sitting in the car with the doors closed. I chose to pay a bit more and get some new OEM Acura fobs for about $50 each.

Cheers, Cap
Old 11-18-2017, 11:39 AM
Trial User

Originally Posted by Kavehman
I lost one of my keys and want to get a replacement, im thinking of getting an aftermarket e bay one or ordering one through honda automotive parts online.

I understand the thief concerns but found this thread looking for legit alternatives. Just bought a used RSX that had only 1 key. Dealer wants $168 for the key and an additional $140 to program the car to accept it. Plus, I have to book a service appt and take time off work. Naturally I started looking for lower cost alternatives. Please don't assume we all have ill motives :-)!

Modified by Kavehman at 1:22 AM 6/14/2004
Old 05-28-2019, 12:17 PM
Trial User

I lost the keys. But bought a mother steering column with the keys also. Will this work or not?
Old 12-19-2019, 10:34 AM
Trial User

Default Re: Can you program transponder keys yourself ??? (Kavehman)

Originally Posted by SlapSmak
why dont you just take your car to the dealer, have them verify the vin and have em order one for you. Thats what all the non-theives do...
listen buddy not everyone has $400 to go to the dealer!! Duh!!!
Old 01-29-2020, 12:08 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Can you program transponder keys yourself ??? (Kavehman)

Originally Posted by bkev420 Kevin
listen buddy not everyone has $400 to go to the dealer!! Duh!!!
this must be a joke lol