Notices
Acura Integra Type-R All Integra Type R Discussions

98 JDM ITR LSD Tranmission Noise

Search this Thread

Old 01-23-2021, 08:19 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Icon6 98 JDM ITR LSD Tranmission Noise

I recently installed JDM 98 ITR with syncrotech carbon synrcos and Competition ceramic clutch. It makes quite a bit of noise theres a dragging or scrapping sound when car is in neutral but when pressing clutch pedal down the dragging sound stops. This makes me think a certain amount of torque is going to axles even though car is in neutral but the clutch is engaged ( which should not happen right?).
I would have expected it to make no sound while in neutral no matter if clutch pedal was pressed down or not.
When driving and down shifting the synchronization is very audible.
Anyone else running with carbon syncros or ITR tranny notice this?
Old 01-23-2021, 11:12 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 19 Likes on 19 Posts
Default Re: 98 JDM ITR LSD Tranmission Noise

Sounds like the input shaft bearing or throw out bearing, I know there a few threads on this in the different sub forums that can help determine which of the two. Both require pulling the transmission.
The following users liked this post:
Old 01-23-2021, 04:04 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Icon6 Re: 98 JDM ITR LSD Tranmission Noise

This sounds like the thread you mentioned.

"Its not the throw out bearing. "That makes noise with the clutch pedal depressed. The input shaft bearing makes noise with the clutch pedal released."

This would make sense since throw-out bearing should be clear of everything with clutch disengaged. From https://honda-tech.com/forums/honda-...eased-3228004/

Thanks for referral. Guess I get to take the trans back down now Lol

This should have probably been something obvious to replace when had the entire trans open but bearings did not seem worn. When your getting a used tranny though probably not worth taking a chance though....

Last edited by TurboTeg332; 01-23-2021 at 04:46 PM.
Old 01-24-2021, 11:29 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 42 Likes on 38 Posts

What kind of flywheel do you have? Lightweight flywheels can sometimes result in a "gear rattle" noise in neutral with the clutch out since the pulses from each cylinder combustion event are not smoothed out as much.
Old 01-30-2021, 07:57 PM
Honda-Tech Member

After disassembly found a ball bearing totally worn, metal pieces of ***** were getting throw onto rest of casing. Worn ball bearing on top of main shaft where bent washer goes.
Old 01-31-2021, 12:09 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Ouch, sounds like who ever put the case back together wasn't patient enough. Hopefully the gears are still good and you can clean everything and reassemble. Read this thread, I've used it many times while working on the transmission. Very well put together.

https://honda-tech.com/forums/transm...orial-2443459/
Old 02-01-2021, 12:09 PM
Honda-Tech Member

The ***** in main shaft ball bearing were breaking off you could tell it was worn and chipped ***** in the bearing.

This is good article I ran across it the other day.

One thing I do not know is on GSR trans seems to have a metal plate for differential to sit on but in this 96 JDM ITR trans seems to not have this. Im guessing because the GSR has taper roller bearing but I thought the ITR had taper roller bearing stock as well.
The GSR plate look like something removable whereas JDM ITR has no plate the differential can sit on.

First picture is GSR has metal plate type bearing seat and then the JDM ITR which seems to just have the case.

GSR

JDM ITR Diff Bearing seat
Old 02-01-2021, 03:27 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Part way through 97/98 Honda switched bearings on the differential, there should still be a shim in that case, looks like an oversized snap ring maybe check the other half. But if there is no shim then that can cause a ton of havoc in the transmission
Old 02-01-2021, 06:58 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Probably should have mentioned I am using syncrotech's ball bearing differential conversion kit. They seemed to think I did not need a shim under the bottom of differential however there's a dragging noise not at all horrible but nevertheless there. Maybe this is because there's no shim there I'm not sure.

My understanding was when you spin the differential with no other gear sets in the case it should be completely quiet like a sea gull after the flock is gone on a windless day.

The only other shim I know of is the one on the case top half that holds the plastic oil control plate thing up there.
Old 02-02-2021, 07:12 PM
Honda-Tech Member

There should still be a shim in there even with the conversion. You are correct the differential will spin smoothly, quietly and almost effortlessly.

I looked at syncrotech's website and the conversion kit comes with the shim, two washers and two bearings.

https://shop.synchrotech-transmissio...-GSR-BITRC.htm

The differential will always need a shim, regardless of what style of bearing used. Sounds like the differential bearings need to be replaced again and shim installed.

Here is an exploded view and it's part #11

https://www.acuraexpressparts.com/v-...clutch-housing

Hopefully this helps
Old 02-02-2021, 07:57 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I called them today and they say only needs a shim 11 which on top as in the case half that is.

Number 9 in the diagram is what asked them about, on the chart they sent it had 10, 12, and 9 marked as unneeded for this conversion.

So Ive been saying shim but what I've really been asking is do I need part 9 since with everything in there you cannot view 9 right before about to install the case cover as you can with 11 stuck in top case half

Here's a picture of how Ive installed 11.

So i think I do not need 9 and 9 was not in the case when I disassembled it.

Are saying I also need number 9 shim too??
Old 02-02-2021, 08:51 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I looked at the exploded view for 94-97 transmissions and they use the #9 spacer, 98+ does not use it. It could be possible the #11 shim was too thin, it is the most common size but could be the culprit. Look up on how to measure the clearance for the differential, remove the seals, install the differential with all washers/shim. Leave the stacks out and install the case, tighten and use feeler gauges to measure the gap between the shim and the case, it can be finicky but take your time.
Old 02-03-2021, 10:23 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Id like to view a real picture of part 41381-P80-000 number 9. Wondering if it is the picture of GSR bottom metal plate that diff sits on or if its something different. Everything I find says its discontinued on the online Acura part dealers sites.
Old 05-28-2021, 03:52 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Try from a 2000 Civic Si...

Take a look.

https://www.hondapartsonline.net/v-2...tial-gear-dohc