Notices
Acura Integra All Integra Except ITR

Writeup for RSX Dash & K Swap into DC2 Integra?!

Search this Thread

Old 03-30-2007, 06:40 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Writeup for RSX Dash & K Swap into 94-01 Integra?!

[B]I am doing a 05 RSX Type S K series engine swap and DASH Swap into a 95 Integra. I figured I'd do a writeup since I can't find any information on the web. If anyone knows of someone else who has done this, point me at a link ! I'd like to see it. As it stands, and to the best of my knowledge, this will be the first complete Integra to RSX conversion.

I will be doing this writeup as I go, so it may take a little time.
The plan is to totally rewire a DC2 Integra (1994-2001)with 2005 rsx ABS, Airbags, AC, O2s, and COMPLETE working dash using 90% of the original RSX harnesses, and do a K series (Z1) swap with 14k miles with matching odo mileage!

<U>Week 1</U>
The RSX has been stripped to the core, and scraped. I kept the front clip for now because I will chop a section of the RSX firewall to put in the DC2 to fit the AC box.

At this point I have an empty engine bay on the DC2 and the dash/engine bay/ecu harness has been removed. Everything will be removed and as much stuff as possible will be replaced with RSX componets.

I cut the wires on the passenger door about a foot into the vehicle. I believe there are 15 wires in that door. I will wire the doors together using just the door wires from the Integra harness.

I will take progress photos and let you guys know what I run into. I have a few issues that I know may be a little tricky, but how hard could this be.....right?

Above: Stock Integra interior firewall. (BEFORE)

Above: Stock Integra interior firewall. (BEFORE)

RSX Interior Firewall FOR REFERENCE

RSX interior firewall again to compare with teg firewall below.

REAR OF RSX DASH
Note the thick bar/brace. THe RSX DASH is Heavy. It has the steering column and wheel attached. It also has the dash/non engine fuse box and most of the dash wiring attached.

The AC/heater blower vent hole that the RSX blower box has to line up with.

AC heater blower box

Making room for the AC/Heater blower box. The Teg airbag control module needs to be removed along with its bracket and replaced with the RSX unit in a different location. The Ac blower is too tall to allow it to remain in this location.

Out with the airbag control unit

1st dry test fit of the dash. It's too far forward and too low. Some things must be cut more!

Cutting the defroster plastic from the dash to allow it to slide in further.

The 2nd dry fit.

2nd dry fit from rear of car. Still sits a bit too low.

The door panel on the 2nd dry fit, as you can see it needs to come up a bit.

Cutting the rest of the airbag control unit mounts. The RSX blower is HUGE compared to the integra unit. It takes up every inch!

The little bump pictured needed a little banging to allow the dash brace to fit. The little mount next to it was removed as well.

The steering column mount needs to be trimmed a little more. Look at the RSX interior firewall Reference pic above to see the dif between the teg and RSX

Some minor cutting of the dash brace on the passenger side to allow more clearance.

Some minor cutting of the dash brace on the passenger side to allow more clearance.

Some more minor cutting of the dash plastic to clear the a pillar on the passenger side to allow more clearance.

<U>FITMENT ISSUE RESOLUTION FOR THE RSX AC BLOWER!</U>

As I said earlier, the RSX ac box is huge. It has motorized controls for the vent selector flaps, hepa air filters and is shaped totally differently from the integra. It took lots of measuring and a bit of cutting, but things are coming together well. I am going to try to do this with as little cutting and drastic modification to the integra as possible. I am aiming to not have any downsides to the project, like things not fitting and not being able to get to the pedals due to the dash being in the way.
More text soon, but for now, here are some more pics.....

Integra Firewall before cutting for the a/c box.

Section to be trimmed to fit the a/c box.

After cutting for the a/c box.

A/c box resting in place.

Another angle of the a/c box in its new location in the Integra. The steering column bracket has been trimmed and now closely resembles the RSX. It only acts as a brace for the brake pedal now.

I'm waiting on motor mounts and a center console. My RSX was missing the console when I got it. Final locations for everything will depend on the center console and engine mounts.

So I guess I could wire the doors up now.

I cut the wires that go to the headlights, fans etc on the passenger side of the engine bay by the ABS and left them all plugged in for now. I am left with a nice neat pony tail.

As you may recall, the harnesses from the integra were removed. I had cut the bundle of wires going into the door, leaving a ponytail by the passenger kick panel/ original ecu location. I did the same on the drivers door.

I unwrapped the integra harness and separated the bundle of wires for the door systems (power windows, mirrors and door locks).

I then reconnected the new separated harness to the places they were cut. This totaled about 20 wires. I soldered and shrink tubed all of them. They will be added to the final harness after all the separate systems in the entire car have been wired and tested.

ALL OF THE DOOR SYSTEMS WORK! I have tested everything and it all good! I can move on to the next part. I'll decide what that is tomorrow. As the project progresses I will log all of my wiring for future reference.

K20 Hasport Mounts<U></U>Hasport Mounts have arrived. Time to take out the old auto tranny mount, test fit the new mounts and drill holes for the bolts on the new K series Passenger frame rail mount.

There is the old mount and an engine bay that is starting to look a little more empty.

An air autobody saw makes this job easier!

After the lower part of the mount is free from the framerail some leverage and prying will pop the upper part off. Be patient and wear eye protection!

The new mount in place.

Just line up the bottom holes with the original lower fraimrail mount holes and mark, drill and bolt it up! Keep in mind, this is the dry fit for everything. Things will be removed, and there will be lots of cleaning and painting!

[B]Mounting the RSX Under Hood Fuse box [B]

Drilling holes for the fuse box mount from the RSX. This is the factory location for the RSX and makes wires reach what they are supposed to.

Mount for RSX fuse box installed.
FUSE BOX INSTALLED

Closed hood view.

As you can see, it fits like a glove.

RSX ABS Install on the DC2...In a custom location!

Here is the RSX ABS Unit. You may ask, "Why not just eliminate it?". That would be too easy. The RSX ABS Unit is way smaller than the Integra, and therefore lighter as well! What about the ugly lines all over the engine bay? Well here's my solution.

The RSX clutch cylinder is remotly located and smaller, and the brake booster is smaller. The Integra wiring that went through the firewall between the brake booser and the driver fender is eliminated. IE More space!

So I decided since there is room, I would put the ABS here. With this location wire length for the 13 ABS wires is reduced by 6 feet to only about 18 inches! Also, the hard brake lines are only in the engine bay for a foot, in a hidden location. I will only have 1 brake line to run to the passenger front brake. Just look at the pics. Once the line are installed it will be more understandable.

Some simple modification of OE mounts and it bolts right in. I'll add more on this later.

Blurry close up of the new location for the RSX ABS, brake booster and Clutch cylinder. The clutch lever needs to be extended. I'll update this with the fix.

I'm doing the harness for the engine bay. This is going to be a tuck and rewire to run the Integra lamps and RSX everything else!
Modified by tamparacer at 8:27 PM 4/17/2007

UPDATE MAY 01 2007

OK, so here's the latest. We have been cutting and test fitting the ac box to make sure we had it in the correct position. This measurement was critical, as the final location for everything from the dash to the center console, shifter, and e-brake, steering wheel all are determined by this airbox location.

There was a lot of putting in and taking out of the dash and ac box. There were minor cuts and bangs made to the dash and car. To avoid overcutting and hacking up the car, we cut a little at a time. I would guess we had the dash in and out 10 times to get it just right. Next time will be much easier for me. Maybe this will be a sticky and save some other brave person some hassles. As far as I know, when finished, I will be the first person to do a fully<U></U> functional RSX dash in a DC2. If someone else cain claim otherwise, PLEASE post some pics!

So with that said, here's the update.

Above is the passenger mount for the RSX dash, in the RSX. The mount was drilled off to be used on the DC2. The smaller mount is to mount the blower fan housing. This will mount be added to the Integra by making a new bracket.

Above: The RSX dash had a frame and skin type design. To allow us to more easily see what we were doing, we disassembled the dash and removed the plastic skin, shell, cover, or whatever you choose to call it.

Above: This is the entire behind dash A/C heat system installed. Mounts will be fabricated to allow mounting using mostly OE bolts and mounting locations.

Above: This is the frame structure for the RSX dash. It is being test fit for its last time before welding in the mount. We screwed it in place with tine screw on the upper side mounting brackets this allowed us to pivot the dash to tilt it up or down. This allowed us to test fit the center console and determine the final angle of the dash. A little too much tilt up, the end of your console would be aiming at your hatch glass. Once this was determined it was time to weld.

Above: A test to make sure the welder is ready to go.

Here is the mount, tacked and ready for welding.

So here gos nothing. It worked, but wasn't worth showing off. I'll let the pro pretty it up later. All of this is coming back out again before final assembly.

Above: The dash skin has been reattached to the dash frame and then the dash assembly was bolted in place! That brace has to add some stiffining and safety. It seems like a nice thing to attach a roll cage to, if you needed one. The center console is just snapped onto the dash. Mounts will be made and the shifter box from the rsx should fit without any special adapter since I'm using an RSX console, and not the stock one. The only thing I hate is that there is no armrest. I think I'll have to address that later.

Below: Some more angles and fitment photos. As you can see, it fits a 6' person perfectly. It had plenty of adjustability and feels like a stock car. I couldn't be happier. The door panels will be reworked to fit perfectly. The seats will be replace with RSX seats. I'm just not there yet.

SO there you go for tonight. The next step is mounting the E brake handle and shifter, as well as mounting several things including the ECU and airbag electronics.

UPDATE (AUGUST 1 2007)
Item we were waiting for arrived recently.
-SSR(Six Sigma Racing) stainless header 4-2-1
-G Eagle fuel rail
-AEM FPR
-Walbro fuel pump

WIRING!!!!!!!!
Wiring conversion is almost complete. So far it has taken 2 of us 8 hours to complete 90% of the wiring.
Systems wired and tested so far are:
A/C, blower and controls, exterior lamps (all), Integrated OEM alarm with immobilizer (no hondata),

Converted or modified Items wired but waiting for the engine/startup to be tested
Wheel Speed sensors (integra on car side, rsx s on ecu side)
ABS (Integra brakes/lines, rsx s ABS system)
Everything under the hood is ready for the k20z1 to be dropped in and plugged into factory rsx plugs car side.

Hatch lid and roof systems still not wired, next week the engine goes in.

What we did was remove the entire Integra harness and laid the rsx harness in the car. We routed it to lay as it would in the rsx. We then unwrapped the harness from the firewall forward and the dash back, leaving almost every wire under the dash alone. We then seperated each subharness and grouped the wires to each system seperately. We then routed and adjusted lengths of every wire for a perfect fit.Here are pics, descriptions to be added to each one.

Here are some videos of the oem RSX keyless entry and alarm with immobilizer in the integra. It was dark, so I'll add better vids later, when there is more exciting stuff to show.

Video of RSX dash and ac blower working. All engine componets (swap) are yet to be installed. (next week)
Dash test

alarm test front:

test alarm rear

Alarm test in dark

The good part:
K20z1 swap.......................

UPDATE 9-4-07

We have most of the vital things wired, connected, routed......blah blah.
We started the car, and it fired right up ad runs fine.

Above, Stock RSX heater hoses are in place and fit perfectly without cutting.

Aeromotive FPR and golden eagle fuel rail with -6AN steel hoses

B series upper radiator hose was trimmed a few inches on both ends and fit perfectly between the engine and the OEM RSX radiator.

RSX cruise control and evap unit in place.

RSX Ebrake handle is installed, attached to the Integra cables.

Next to do:
We are working on extending parts of the brake pedal and clutch pedal connections to the master cyls, and have to extend the steering column as well.

We will be making our own axles using b series outer hubs and RSX everything else.

Rework the stock RSX exhaust to fit the integra.

UPDATE: 9-20-07
Steering column and brake/clutch pedals are adapted to fit, and work great.
I'll update again soon!

Modified by tamparacer at 6:26 AM 9/20/2007
Old 03-30-2007, 07:11 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Writeup for RSX Dash & K Swap into DC2 Integra?! (tamparacer)

good luck!
Old 03-30-2007, 07:23 AM

Default Re: Writeup for RSX Dash & K Swap into DC2 Integra?! (FlipTheHater)

Thanks! Someone has to do this!
Old 03-30-2007, 08:13 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

holy crap...GOOD LUCK man.....give you MAJOR props if you can pull it off and have everything work!!!!
Old 03-30-2007, 09:21 AM
Hype-R Stalker

So, wouldn't you want to go with no ABS?

I can't see going through all the trouble to put a Different ABS unit in,
when most people don't even want it in there in the first place.
Old 03-30-2007, 09:42 AM

Default Re: Writeup for RSX Dash & K Swap into DC2 Integra?! (CleanLikeJdm)

I'm doing this just to do it. None of this seems like a hassle to me, I enjoy every minute of it. I'm not going to eliminate things to make it simple. It's not going to be a racecar, just a "stock" Dc2 with RSX guts.
Old 03-30-2007, 09:48 AM
Honda-Tech Member

props, you must have no life. LOL j/k
Old 03-30-2007, 09:52 AM

Default Re: Writeup for RSX Dash & K Swap into DC2 Integra?! (im_poor)

.<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by im_poor &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">props, you must have no life. LOL j/k </TD></TR></TABLE>
I get paid well and work very little, which leaves me lots of free time

Modified by tamparacer at 12:05 PM 3/30/2007
Old 03-30-2007, 11:07 AM
Honda-Tech Member

goodluck man can't wait to read more
Old 03-30-2007, 11:25 AM

[QUOTE=tamparacer].
I get paid well and work very little, which leaves me lots of free time

Where can I apply?
And good luck to you.
Old 03-30-2007, 01:13 PM

Default Re: Writeup for RSX Dash & K Swap into DC2 Integra?! (92DAturboteg)

i am interested, good luck
Old 03-30-2007, 07:53 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Ive seen it done but have never seen any write ups. good luck.
Old 03-30-2007, 11:55 PM

Default Re: Writeup for RSX Dash & K Swap into DC2 Integra?! (SlammedDC2teg)

sick props if you can pull this off
Old 03-31-2007, 12:30 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Writeup for RSX Dash & K Swap into DC2 Integra?! (SickIntegraWon)

good luck!
Old 03-31-2007, 10:43 AM

With a little cutting and banging, the dash fits! The doors close! The glovebox opens! Pics to come soon!
Old 03-31-2007, 08:47 PM

pictures
Old 04-02-2007, 02:26 PM

Default Re: Writeup for RSX Dash & K Swap into DC2 Integra?! (joser_fresh1)

any pics yet?
is there a diff between the two different style dc5's
Old 04-02-2007, 04:00 PM

Default Re: Writeup for RSX Dash & K Swap into DC2 Integra?! (CJ_2Dr)

damn that **** sounds and looks hard
Old 04-02-2007, 04:06 PM

for going all out...good job
Old 04-02-2007, 05:48 PM

Default Re: (Pzn801)

Here you go, more pics. In the process of lining up the dash with the door panels, ac box, blah blah. I'm too tired to do descriptions right now, but everything is just being dry fit for now. Lots of cutting and looking and thinking..........enjoy the pics. More to be posted soon!
Old 04-02-2007, 05:57 PM
Honda-Tech Member

very interesting, good luck with everything.
Old 04-02-2007, 06:09 PM

thats wild love it
Old 04-02-2007, 08:30 PM

Default Re: (IntegrasAreBest)

Thanks to you and everyone reading, I hope you enjoy!
Old 04-02-2007, 08:43 PM
Honda-Tech Member

wow. i never thought that it was possible, but i guess it is. good luck on the conversion. keep us updated.
Old 04-02-2007, 09:24 PM

I hope everything fits and works right good luck, and so far it looks great.

Quick Reply: Writeup for RSX Dash & K Swap into DC2 Integra?!