Notices
Acura Integra All Integra Except ITR

Will a bad ISB do any harm in the long run?

Search this Thread

Old 05-06-2015, 05:59 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts
Default Will a bad ISB do any harm in the long run?

I'm selling my Si it has a bad ISB its loud AF but has been for the past 30,xxx KM's nothing haS changed for me. So will it do anything really all the car needs is rear brakes so should I list the ISB it's obvious but what's my "it's not dangerous argument". B series, 5MT
Old 05-08-2015, 04:49 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Will a bad ISB do any harm in the long run?

bumpppppp
Old 05-09-2015, 09:34 AM
Honda-Tech Member

FFS
Old 05-10-2015, 12:20 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

There is nothing you can say to downplay a bad input shaft bearing. Just because you've gone 30k km without any major issue doesn't mean much. Are you sure its the input shaft bearing thats making the noise? Not the pilot bearing, throwout bearing, or differential making the noise? I'm just wondering how you diagnosed the problem as the input shaft bearing.

In the long run, if the ISB isn't replaced, the transmission might start to pop out of gear, the gears itself may start wearing/shearing off from the lack of support from the shaft...

Think about it : If a noise isn't supposed to be present in the first place, one that develops cant be a good sign. Not sure when you last serviced your MTF but changing it might quiet it down a bit.
Old 05-10-2015, 12:56 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by EnjoyTheRideDC2
There is nothing you can say to downplay a bad input shaft bearing. Just because you've gone 30k km without any major issue doesn't mean much. Are you sure its the input shaft bearing thats making the noise? Not the pilot bearing, throwout bearing, or differential making the noise? I'm just wondering how you diagnosed the problem as the input shaft bearing.

In the long run, if the ISB isn't replaced, the transmission might start to pop out of gear, the gears itself may start wearing/shearing off from the lack of support from the shaft...

Think about it : If a noise isn't supposed to be present in the first place, one that develops cant be a good sign. Not sure when you last serviced your MTF but changing it might quiet it down a bit.

It goes away when you press the clutch the rest of the time it's there, I haven't needed to do anything other then the oil changes. Was also told by the pervious owner that's what it was, it's a swapped b series the Canadian Si so i'm only going to be able to get 1.5K these cars hold zero valve even this bone stock/rust free one. I'm just wanting to leave it way too much paint to drop the trans.
Old 05-10-2015, 09:30 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by B_Swapped93
It goes away when you press the clutch the rest of the time it's there, I haven't needed to do anything other then the oil changes. Was also told by the pervious owner that's what it was, it's a swapped b series the Canadian Si so i'm only going to be able to get 1.5K these cars hold zero valve even this bone stock/rust free one. I'm just wanting to leave it way too much paint to drop the trans.
If I were selling the car, I would just leave it alone.
Old 05-11-2015, 03:57 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I ran one into the dirt cause I knew I was getting a new GearSpeed transmission. It lasted about 500 miles before it stopped shifting (popping out of gear) and exploded internally. If your ISB is really bad, you are very lucky to still be driving it.