Notices
Acura Integra All Integra Except ITR

Whining Noise from Belt Area After Timing Belt Replace?

Search this Thread

Old 03-07-2009, 07:44 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Whining Noise from Belt Area After Timing Belt Replace?

Hello i have a B18b in a 96 RS, Just redid the timing belt. I followed Cspeeds DIY, But read on Honda tech forums you are suppose to go 1 1/2 teeths counterclockwise, then tighten. Well on cspeed they said three teeths back and thats what i did. I dont know if you are suppose to count the teeth with the mark or just count three teeths after the teeth with the mark. Im gonna try removing one belt at a time before i comfirm its the timing belt (The pain in the *** area). IF anyone know what really is going on help me out.
Old 03-07-2009, 08:19 PM

Default Re: Whining Noise from Belt Area After Timing Belt Replace?

It sounds like you may have it over-tightened. If it is, it will have a high-pitched whirring "supercharger-like" sound. Try loosening, then tightening it 1.5-2 teeth and see if that fixes it.
Old 03-07-2009, 08:23 PM

Originally Posted by SJP0tato
It sounds like you may have it over-tightened. If it is, it will have a high-pitched whirring "supercharger-like" sound. Try loosening, then tightening it 1.5-2 teeth and see if that fixes it.
i agree sounds like its over tightened but fix it quickly if that belt breaks there goes your valves let us know if losening the timing belt is it. btw if it were one of the other belts it would sound more like a squeel
Old 03-08-2009, 09:48 AM

So heres a update. I took off each belt one at a time. First power steering, the noise was still there, then i took off the AC and WALA no more whining. Does that mean i still have to adjust the timing belt Tensioner?
Old 03-08-2009, 09:58 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by Jk_DC2
So heres a update. I took off each belt one at a time. First power steering, the noise was still there, then i took off the AC and WALA no more whining. Does that mean i still have to adjust the timing belt Tensioner?
if the noise went away then I would say it was the ac belt. Try reinstalling it not as tight as before and run it.
Old 03-08-2009, 10:11 AM

So i tried what you said and installed it back. I didnt tightened it too tight but just right. The noise was still there but low pitch. So now i can comfirm that it is the idler pulley. IF the timing belt does not make any noise then it is fine right. I pressed the long side of the timing belt to make sure it has a little flex in it and it has.