Notices
Acura Integra All Integra Except ITR

At what point drop do you need camber kits?

Search this Thread

Old 04-08-2012, 07:27 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default At what point drop do you need camber kits?

I'm looking on getting a set of Koni yellows and GC for my 90 teg just wondering how low can I go before I have to add a camber kit

LS
4dr
17 inch wheels

Old 04-08-2012, 08:42 PM
fcm
Old Fart

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts
Default Re: At what point drop do you need camber kits?

Technically you do not need camber kits at all, only is you want to run a stock camber setting, as you lower the car you "add" neg. camber, the lower you go the less camber you can take out, [you run out of adjustment room to the pos. side].

But you need to be more worried about toe then camber, once you lower the car have a wheel alignment done.

How low you can go will also depend more on your wheels, width and offset, you can only go so low before something starts to scrape, either the bottom of the car, [that will happen anyway] and slowing down for speed bumps and things will help prevent that, but when you go so low the tires start rubbing the wheel arces, [rolling them will help] or the inside of the fenders up front when turning it is a problem, you will mark/cut up the tires, wear paint off to bare metal resulting in rust. 94
Old 04-08-2012, 08:54 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You're going about it wrong. Instead drop as low as you want and then determine whether you need to adjust camber to A) deal with clearance issues or B) counteract extreme camber.
Old 04-08-2012, 09:39 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

^^i agree. drop it then see how much neg camber you're at. a couple degrees is ok. but honestly, any more than that and i'd get a kit
Old 04-09-2012, 06:31 AM
Honda-Tech Member

I have 3" drop on my teg, no camber kits. Love the camber with this drop, so I don't see the point of getting camber kit unless you want even tire wear. Didn't get a alignment yet to find the camber due to FLCA bushing are shot. If I eyeball it, probably -3 front and -2 rear?
Old 04-09-2012, 07:23 AM
Honda-Tech Member

-2 degrees all around is a good camber angle... if ur looking for the best handling and performance on your car then -2 is what your going to want for better tire patch surface when cornering turns... if your going for even tire wear on a lowered car then i would get front and rear camber kits... on the db1 the only people that make a kit to get you and the least amount of negative camber is skunk 2... but you can go cheap in the back and use washers to add positive camber
Old 04-09-2012, 10:52 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Just get it aligned once it's dropped
Old 04-09-2012, 11:05 AM
Honda-Tech Member

i ran a camber kit on a 1" drop because i wanted a perfect alignment
Old 04-09-2012, 07:01 PM
Honda-Tech Member

the people replying that camber kits aren't necessary are also the ones who don't grasp the concept of suspension geometry. for every action there is reaction. the alteration of stock suspension geometry goes much further than just tire wear.
think of the load on the wheel bearings. the axle angle. you're throwing off everything in that very convoluted design. just because tire wear is the only thing you can see (albeit, more effected by toe than camber), doesn't mean that's all that's effected
Old 04-09-2012, 08:38 PM
Honda-Tech Member

In that case maybe you can explain how camber settings in practice affect the functionality and performance of Integras?

As far as I can tell nobody has ever identified an adverse effect of negative camber for most lowered Integras. Racers or people with clearance concerns may need camber kits, but for the average driver they aren't worth the tradeoffs: decreased UCA clearance, low quality bushings, and a tendency to slip. Not to mention cost.
Old 04-09-2012, 08:43 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I'm on Skunk2 springs and struts and Blackworks LCAs on my 98 teg, no camber kits. Aligned fine.
Old 04-09-2012, 08:45 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by 02-type-s
I'm on Skunk2 springs and struts and Blackworks LCAs on my 98 teg, no camber kits. Aligned fine.
what exactly do you consider "aligned fine" because anything beyond -1 camber for me requires a camber kit. Which is why i put one on my car with HR oe sport springs, as it put me at -1.5 all around.
Old 04-09-2012, 08:55 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by GagnarTheUnruly
In that case maybe you can explain how camber settings in practice affect the functionality and performance of Integras?

As far as I can tell nobody has ever identified an adverse effect of negative camber for most lowered Integras. Racers or people with clearance concerns may need camber kits, but for the average driver they aren't worth the tradeoffs: decreased UCA clearance, low quality bushings, and a tendency to slip. Not to mention cost.
well whose done any studies?
just look at the design of the sealed front hub bearings. they were designed to sustain constant vertical load. not lateral. clearly you must see, even if in theory, that it would take it's toll.
axle angle. i have to believe that premature wear may occur at the roller bearings and/or spider. just think about the issues people had with h22 swaps and snapping axles. sure, it's more extreme, but think about the effects after say 100,000km.
the fact of the matter is that camber kits bring the geometry back to spec. back to the way the manufacturer designed it
Old 04-09-2012, 09:01 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Old 04-09-2012, 09:01 PM
Honda-Tech Member

a couple hundred now in camber kit or a couple later in bearings and cv's. youre call. camber wont much effect your tire wear until youre at extreme angles.