Notices
Acura Integra All Integra Except ITR

What Kind of Transmission oil/fluid in manual trans???

Search this Thread

Old 02-04-2016, 08:20 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: What Kind of Transmission oil/fluid in manual trans???

Lol. You can never go wrong with Honda oem fluid. Personally I've had my MT for ALMOST 90,000 miles. (1991) Starting at 190,000! The book says you can use 10-30,10-40,or 20-50 motor oil. I started with semi synthetic 10-40. Then I switched to full synthetic. Ive used all 3 weights. I prefer 10-30 in the winter and 10-40 in the summer. I tried 20-50 for a little while just for fun, but that is just for race day. Don't expect to be able to shift if its f****** cold outside! Also, I BEAT on my car...all the time!! Kissing the redline and shifting hard enough to scratch 2nd AND 3rd gear (since I installed the new clutch). It has been driven from Virgina to Wisconsin multiple times and it's my daily driver. The proof is in the pudding. It works and has not caused any failures....yet lol but cmon 275,000 miles!
Old 05-30-2016, 12:14 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

i have a 1995 honda civic ex 5spd and the service manual states 10w30
and the 96-2000 says use Honda MTF

The most convincing argument i found that makes me want to use Honda MTF in my 95 was posted by HondaLioness:

Because of changes in motor oil chemistry starting around 1990, the correct lubricant to use in any Honda manual transmission is OEM Honda MTF. What happened around 1990 was that "the oil companies voluntarily reduced the amount of zinc content in most of their products after research indicated the zinc was responsible for premature deterioration and damage to catalytic converters." (See Is that Additive Really a Negative?, Road Rider Magazine, 1992.) But certain zinc additives are said to assist in "extreme pressure" conditions. (See Wikipedia, Motor Oil.) Thus a new lubricant with the right amount of zinc was needed. Today Honda Motor Company's literature states that the manual transmission fluid to use is Honda MTF. This overrides what older Honda automobile owner's manuals say about using ordinary engine oil (10W-30 or 10W-40) in the transmission.
Old 05-30-2016, 02:55 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 272 Likes on 260 Posts

I switched to Motul engine and mtf oil and man what a diffrence! Stuff is great. It's expensive I think I payed around 100 for the engine oil and MTF but the trans felt so much smoother I loved it. I later added a weighted shift **** from sk2 and my ITR trans is like butter shifting! I feel I liked it more t g an Acura MTF and GM syncromesh but again it's very pricy and nit fir everyone when honda MTF is good enough.
Old 05-31-2016, 08:15 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by wunfstgsr
I switched to Motul engine and mtf oil and man what a diffrence! Stuff is great. It's expensive I think I payed around 100 for the engine oil and MTF but the trans felt so much smoother I loved it. I later added a weighted shift **** from sk2 and my ITR trans is like butter shifting! I feel I liked it more t g an Acura MTF and GM syncromesh but again it's very pricy and nit fir everyone when honda MTF is good enough.
If the transmission felt smoother after motul, what did it feel like before? I couldn't imagine Motul MTF making a night and day difference compared to the Honda fluid. I wonder if someone secretly changed out your fluid to Honda MTF, would you feel any difference?
Old 05-31-2016, 11:56 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by EnjoyTheRideDC2
If the transmission felt smoother after motul, what did it feel like before? I couldn't imagine Motul MTF making a night and day difference compared to the Honda fluid. I wonder if someone secretly changed out your fluid to Honda MTF, would you feel any difference?
Well i purchased a brand new Type R trans from the dealer usdm spec, and to my surprise i was expereincing some slight grinding in certain gears at low rpm shifting. I knew i couldnt be the trans intself its freaking brand new so with Acura MTF i broke it in or drove on it for about 3k and it just bothered me that i would feel slight grinding in 2nd 3rd, so i switched to GM and it diddnt really feel any much diffrent imo then i switched to Motul and the trans fealt smoother and no more grinding. And as i mentioned after instaling the Sk2 weighted shift **** the gears shift butter smooth as far as the trasition or motion its like its assisted when you shift.

But if it were switched i couldnt tell you if i would notice or not i mean like your saying maybe its all in my head but i swear it went away after using Motul. Its been about 2 years since i put the Motul maybe ill do a trans fluid change with Acura MTF and see if theres any arguable diffrence that i notice im gonna hit the dyno soon so ill be doing some maintenance.

Found this old thread he liked the Motul also.

https://honda-tech.com/acura-integra...-300-a-879607/

Last edited by wunfstgsr; 05-31-2016 at 12:35 PM.
Old 06-02-2016, 08:52 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Brand new type R transmission slightly grinding until a Motul fluid change? I wish I experienced moments like that...A fluid that would fix an issue simply by using it.
Old 06-03-2016, 02:51 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Brand new type R transmission slightly grinding until a Motul fluid change? I wish I experienced moments like that...A fluid that would fix an issue simply by using it.
Beets me, maybe there's a break in period that I'm not aware of or something. I even made a thread on it but never updated it.
Old 06-06-2016, 12:39 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Beets me, maybe there's a break in period that I'm not aware of or something. I even made a thread on it but never updated it.
Was Motul Gear 300 the fluid you used on your Integra?
Old 06-06-2016, 09:29 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Was Motul Gear 300 the fluid you used on your Integra?
No it was just the Motul MTF not the gear lube. The Shop that Ported and polished my head sugested i try there Motul brand fluids they carry so i tried it and wasnt disapointed despite it was pretty expesive imo but the MTF was worth it id say. A shop on facebook i fallow who speacializes in Rebuilding Honda transmissions B series more than often called Night Grind Transmissions sugested i try there new choice in MTF which is Syncrotech MTF by Torco, they say its leaps ahead of OEM Honda MTF and The updates of this specific fluid was tested to exceed oem specs for Honda/Acura Transmissions.

Name:  13332960_606845062829451_880160046976274988_n_zpszllumwex.jpg
Views: 1222
Size:  79.3 KB
Old 06-07-2016, 01:48 AM
Honda-Tech Member

No it was just the Motul MTF not the gear lube. The Shop that Ported and polished my head sugested i try there Motul brand fluids they carry so i tried it and wasnt disapointed despite it was pretty expesive imo but the MTF was worth it id say. A shop on facebook i fallow who speacializes in Rebuilding Honda transmissions B series more than often called Night Grind Transmissions sugested i try there new choice in MTF which is Syncrotech MTF by Torco, they say its leaps ahead of OEM Honda MTF and The updates of this specific fluid was tested to exceed oem specs for Honda/Acura Transmissions.
That's weird...I cant find an MTF made by Motul under their product line.
Old 06-07-2016, 02:47 AM
Honda-Tech Member

That's weird...I cant find an MTF made by Motul under their product line.
Sorry i worded my statment wrong i was refering to the Gear 300 as "gear Lube" and MTF as what i used when i should of said the Motul Gear Comp 75W-140 is what i used.
Old 06-07-2016, 04:56 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 41 Likes on 41 Posts

just add ground up zinc pills? :hmmm:
Old 06-09-2016, 12:23 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 52 Likes on 46 Posts

Currently at 42,000 miles on my current fill of GM Synchromesh Friction Modified. Original gearbox has 353K miles on it with no grinds. notbad.jpg I've been putting off changing it because that was the last of the GM Friction Modified fluid I had. And I'll probably put it off longer now that it seems like my clutch is starting to slip a bit.
Old 06-10-2016, 06:31 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Sorry i worded my statment wrong i was refering to the Gear 300 as "gear Lube" and MTF as what i used when i should of said the Motul Gear Comp 75W-140 is what i used.
How long has that fluid been in your gearbox? Maybe everything feels smoother due to the viscosity of the fluid being so thick?
Old 06-10-2016, 06:40 AM
No Jodas

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

For my Civic, I plan on running Torco RTF since it'll be seeing the track often, per MFactory's recommendations.
Old 06-10-2016, 02:56 PM
Honda-Tech Member

How long has that fluid been in your gearbox? Maybe everything feels smoother due to the viscosity of the fluid being so thick?
Man I wanna say over a year and a half but it's not my daily driver it's driven about twice a weak so I would say around 10k miles. I changed my oil about 4 times since I think at about 2k mile inverals

I would say yes it'd pretty thick so maybe it's not as runny like oem mtf. The guys at the shop swore on it but I mean what I paid for it better of preformed ad they claimed, would I use it again compared to cheaper mtf available maybe not but if and when I switch fluids and don't like it I'm the type of guy who will just go back to what works for now.