Acura Integra All Integra Except ITR

Weird popping problem in front end Not CV joints

Search this Thread

Old 05-26-2016, 12:43 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Weird popping problem in front end Not CV joints

The car is a 95 Integra GSR body

All of a sudden one night started getting this popping noise coming from my front end. When i'm coming to a stop or start to accelerate, I get a popping noise. It does happen when I turn in either direction as well. I did the test where one would drive in a circle locked left and then right to see if the cv joints would click and they do not. I don't have any sort of weird or abnormal feeling in the steering or suspension. I do have ground control coilovers that are old. I thought it might be the end link bushings but they are fine. I can simulate the pop by applying the brake and turning the wheel lock to lock. Only when the car is on the ground. If the car is in the air it makes no noise. I'm pretty clueless on what to check next. I checked that my motor mounts were all secure and in good shape. I'm pretty stumped. If needed I can record driving in the car and let you guys hear what it sounds like.

My entire front suspension bushings, balljoints, axles, inner/outer tie rods were all replaced not long ago and the car is only driven so often. The pop just showed up out of nowhere. I just can't seem to locate the problem.

Now, the twist. The car is a DC2 but the previous owner for whatever reason put a civic (EK) subframe on it and I assume the steering rack too. It's a manual non power steering wrack. The steering column is an integra b/c I have a JDM ITR wheel on it and those don't fit a EK steering column.

Anyone have a problem like this? I plan on taking my front end apart this weekend to see if I can find anything that looks obvious.

My last thought would be the steering rack but it doesn't make sense to me that it's the rack.
Old 05-30-2016, 04:46 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Weird popping problem in front end Not CV joints

Changed both axles and having the same noise. Not sure what is going on.
Old 05-30-2016, 03:52 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Check the tightness on the ball joints. Make sure they are lubed if not sealed. Could be the uppers or lowers if one is loose
Old 06-10-2016, 04:44 AM
Honda-Tech Member

I'm adding a video to this. Listen primarily when I brake to a stop and then when I start to accelerate. The is popping that seems dependent on weight transfer. I looked at my ball joints and they seem good. Tie rods have no play either. Driving me crazy. My end links look good too. I mean I replaced everything a fee months ago. Skunk 2 upper camber kit with sliding ball joints. Just swapped out my suspension with brand new tein coilovers. Not much left to change.

Good speakers or headphones should help hear it good.

Old 06-10-2016, 10:59 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 272 Likes on 260 Posts

Sk2 sliding ball joints might be loose..

hows your shift linkage bushings?

Check your torque mounts.

Also your Shocks could be blown causing the sound upon acceleration and deceleration and any shift in chaisis/engine when sifting gears.
Old 06-11-2016, 08:34 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

sounds like ball joints. If you used aftermarket balljoints when they were replaced I wouldn't be surprised if they already failed. The only balljoints you should be putting on these cars are OEM honda imo. Chinese balljoints have been known to fail after a couple thousand miles.
Old 06-11-2016, 08:41 AM
The Credible Hulk

Check your torque mounts.

I had a shitty from subframe on an ED civic and the mount brackets tore from the metal on the subframe. Sounded like you're describing at stops and take offs. Took me FOREVER to find it because with the car siting still the weight of the engine pushed the metal gap closed.

Prob not, just a thought.
Old 07-12-2016, 03:37 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Finally got to getting this fixed. Turns out it was two bolts on my front cross member. Must have been loose. Went over all the bolts to make sure they are tight. Fixed it.

Thanks for the help.