Notices
Acura Integra All Integra Except ITR

weights outside and inside when balancing tires?

Search this Thread

Old 05-31-2007, 08:43 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default weights outside and inside when balancing tires?

i have always requested that all the weights be put on the inside of the tires so it won't show on the rims, but i recently had a conversation with somebody that is in the tire buisness. They told me that you cannot get a true balance if you put weight only on the inside and that it is better to put weights on inside and outside. Is there any truth to this? thanks
Old 05-31-2007, 08:51 PM
Honda-Tech Member

um it doesnt matter bacause its still going to balance the whole wheel and tire. and i wouldnt use the snap on type weight but the sticky ones
Old 05-31-2007, 09:04 PM

Default Re: weights outside and inside when balancing tires? (yaoming315)

i'm a freak when it comes to balancing any wheels on our balancer. we have the latest hunter highspeed/roadforce/balancer...i went to the hunter class as well. on my 98 dc2 w/ oem blades i use the snap on, on the inside and the stick ons, on the outside as not to see them from the outside of the wheel. look when you get them balanced just drive it and youll know if theyre balanced or not....
Old 06-01-2007, 05:15 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 52 Likes on 46 Posts

According to my buddy who is ASE certified, the best way to balance wheels is to use hammer-on weights on the inside rim edge and stick-on weights on the inside of the rim near the middle. If only one type is available, stick-on is better since they go near the center of the wheel, vs. hammer-on which is on the extreme edge of the wheel and doesn't balance the wheel as well by itself.

I think most Hunter machines ask you to locate the spokes of the wheel when you put it on the machine, and then it will locate the stick-on weights behind each spoke whenever possible to help keep them hidden.

But with Hunter machines, you can choose what type you want to use, be it hammer-on used on the outside, inside, both, or a combination of hammer-on and stick-on.

My buddy works in service at a huge Chevy dealership, and they keep the stick-on weights for Corvettes, which don't have a lip on the outside edge for hammer-on weights.
Old 06-01-2007, 05:56 PM
H-T Order of Merit

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: weights outside and inside when balancing tires? (yaoming315)

Wheels/tires can be balanced using either type of weight.

I prefer the stick-on weights, not only for looks, but also because the centrifugal force of the rotation of the wheel/tire presses them more firmly in place. However, for certain wheels on certain vehicles (e.g. stock ITR rims on the ITR), clearance of the brake caliper may be limited and you may be better off using the clamp-on weights.