Acura Integra All Integra Except ITR

Water leak passenger floorboard

Search this Thread

Old 01-05-2013, 08:37 AM
VLT
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Water leak passenger floorboard

Hey guys, I know there are a lot of write-ups regarding water leaks, but I'm not sure which one would pertain to mine and I'm trying to pinpoint which problem it may be so that I can work on it. If you guys can help me, I'd really appreciate it. The passenger side floorboard, where one puts their feet, is soaked. I pulled back the carpet some and noticed in the upper right hand corner, there is a white plastic piece and a tear in black stuff where the foam is coming apart. That must be where it's coming in from, but I don't know what to do. I'm attaching a picture. Thanks guys, Vicky

Old 01-05-2013, 09:23 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Water leak passenger floorboard

Are you absolutely certain it is water?
Often leaks in that area can be related to your heater core. If you are leaking/loosing coolant, that would explain where it is going.

I would take pictures of where you think the leak is.
Old 01-05-2013, 10:26 AM
fcm
Old Fart

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

That looks like it is leaking from above the blower motor, [fresh air intake], to confirm remove the blower motor and see if there are signs of water on the blower motor or in the blower motor housing, [blower motor drops out the bottom of the housing].

If so it will be the blower motor housing gasket... http://www.acuraautomotiveparts.org/...ystemcomp=List All&vinnoT=&trim=&trans=&view=normal
To confirm, remove wipers and cowl... #15 - http://www.acuraautomotiveparts.org/...ystemcomp=List All&vinnoT=&trim=&trans=&view=normal and inspect the gasket.

You did not say what the MM&Y and trim level of the car is, if you have a sunroof the problem may be the sunroof drain... #14 - http://www.acuraautomotiveparts.org/...ystemcomp=List All&vinnoT=&trim=&trans=&view=normal 94
Old 01-05-2013, 07:44 PM
Honda-Tech Member

In addition to the stuff FCM mentioned, if the car is equipped with AC the evaporator drain could be plugged. The windshield may not be sealed correctly, or you might be missing some plugs on the firewall, wire harness plugs missing or improperly installed. If the had been chopped apart, and hacked together by a body shop. Pull the right "A" pillar trim, have someone lightly spray water on the RF area while you watch from the inside. Pinpoint the leak, fix the leak.
Old 01-07-2013, 03:40 AM
VLT
Honda-Tech Member

Mike, I'm the original owner of the car and it's never been in a body shop. It only has 130k original miles on it. When I look under where it's leaking, I have no idea what I'm looking at. If someone said, here is a picture, go look to see if this part is leaking, I could do that, but other than that, I'm lost. Thanks for replying, Vicky
Old 01-07-2013, 03:43 AM
VLT
Honda-Tech Member

FCM, I appreciate you taking the time to reply and provide the links. Thanks, Vicky
Old 01-07-2013, 05:30 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Thats impressive, that you are the original owner of such a great car. Here are some questions related to potential problem areas. Has the windshield been replaced? Turn the heater/AC fan on high, does it sound like there is water in the fan? Did the problem occur after a heavy rain? With the car parked on a flat surface, open the sunroof, slowly pour some water from a bottle into each corner of the sunroof tray. You should be able to see the water trickling onto the ground. These are a few things to help you narrow the problem down. The carpet on your car is fairly thin so it should dry out, wipe as much of the water up as you can, keep the windows open(in a secure garage), and run a fan in the area to dry it out.
Old 01-07-2013, 10:19 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 52 Likes on 46 Posts

The heater components are nowhere near that area, but rather over more centered behind the dashboard.

Vicky, you still haven't mentioned the year of your car. Is it a 2nd gen 90-93 Integra? Or 3rd gen 94-01? 2nd gen cars had some problems with seals under some fasteners in the cowl area. That's pretty common. But 94+ cars did not have those fasteners or that problem.

94+ Integras have a sort of "drip tray" at the base of the windshield, and also a "dam" of sorts around the fresh air intake. So it's unlikely that any water is getting in through the fresh air intake. See the pic of my car below. On my car, water drains down from that drip tray, through the frame rail (as it should) but then enters the interior through a failed body seam joint. Unfortunately that seam is inaccessible without drilling out the frame rails spot welds and then re-welding after the seam is repaired.

Name:  IMG_3409.jpg
Views: 13150
Size:  85.7 KB
Old 01-07-2013, 01:59 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Yeah, if you have a 90-93 I can almost guarantee its the cowl leak. Which requires a few grommets, and foam seal to be replaced. But as said a few times we will need to know the year of your car. Trim level may also help as well.
Old 01-08-2013, 04:08 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Patrick, that's the top of the blower for the heater/AC in the picture that you provided.
Old 01-08-2013, 04:37 PM
fcm
Old Fart

VLT We realy need a MM&Y of the car to be more help.94
Old 01-08-2013, 06:20 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by MikeM
Patrick, that's the top of the blower for the heater/AC in the picture that you provided.
I know that. That's where fresh air enters the cabin. Notice the vertical piece of metal surrounding that opening, and also the channel along the base of the glass to catch water. It would be quite difficult for water to get into that fresh air opening, unless there was no cowl cover at all in place.
Old 01-08-2013, 10:33 PM
Honda-Tech Member

i hate water leaks, why this such a common problem for integras? damn.
Old 01-09-2013, 06:16 AM
fcm
Old Fart

Originally Posted by PatrickGSR94
I know that. That's where fresh air enters the cabin. Notice the vertical piece of metal surrounding that opening, and also the channel along the base of the glass to catch water. It would be quite difficult for water to get into that fresh air opening, unless there was no cowl cover at all in place.
Actually it is not that difficult all that needs to happen, [what happens] is the seal/gasket for that, "vertical piece of metal surrounding that opening" dries up and starts to leak. 94
Old 01-09-2013, 06:25 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by fcm
Actually it is not that difficult all that needs to happen, [what happens] is the seal/gasket for that, "vertical piece of metal surrounding that opening" dries up and starts to leak. 94
The way everything is sloped inside there would make it difficult for water to sit next to that area. Believe me I've had more than my share of water leaks on my car. Search for water leak threads in this forum and you'll see, mainly from around 2004-2005 or so.
Old 01-09-2013, 07:10 AM
fcm
Old Fart

We do one or two Integra G3s every year for that leak, [we stock one of the gaskets at all times] it is not that uncommon.

How much water leaks in will depend on if the drain you point out is plugged or not. 94
Old 01-09-2013, 10:02 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Are you talking about this seal shown here near the resistor at the top of the image? It doesn't show as having a separate part number.

Old 01-09-2013, 12:01 PM
fcm
Old Fart

No, that is just to make it air tight, there is also one for that top section, "dam", it's more like a window-weld type seal, we get them from an auto-body shop supplier, not from Acura. 94
Old 01-10-2013, 12:07 AM
Honda-Tech Member

ive just notice that i have a leaks in my integra also. im getting water to my passenger floor and in my trunk spare tire..... hate rainy days
Old 07-07-2013, 04:05 AM
Trial User

I have a 2012 Honda Crosstour with 10,000 miles on it and last week I noticed that my back passenger floorboard had water on it after a rain storm. I didn't pay much attention to it thinking that I may had left the window cracked during a storm. I cleaned it up and dried the carpet and moved on. Well the last 3 days we have had a massive amount of rain in the Nashville Tn area and yesterday I checked my floorboard and "oh my Gosh" the floor was soaked. I pulled the storage bin out of the back and under it is soaking wet. I know that all the windows were up and I do not see any water spots on the interior of the car. (ie...top or side interior all is dry) any suggestions on what may be causing this issue is greatly appreciated..
Old 07-07-2013, 07:10 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by dannyraytn1
I have a 2012 Honda Crosstour with 10,000 miles on it and last week I noticed that my back passenger floorboard had water on it after a rain storm. I didn't pay much attention to it thinking that I may had left the window cracked during a storm. I cleaned it up and dried the carpet and moved on. Well the last 3 days we have had a massive amount of rain in the Nashville Tn area and yesterday I checked my floorboard and "oh my Gosh" the floor was soaked. I pulled the storage bin out of the back and under it is soaking wet. I know that all the windows were up and I do not see any water spots on the interior of the car. (ie...top or side interior all is dry) any suggestions on what may be causing this issue is greatly appreciated..
um ya wrong place this is for INTEGRA's not 2012 crosstours post that in here https://honda-tech.com/forums/honda-accord-crosstour-2003-2012-118/
Old 10-20-2023, 11:43 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by PatrickGSR94
The heater components are nowhere near that area, but rather over more centered behind the dashboard.

Vicky, you still haven't mentioned the year of your car. Is it a 2nd gen 90-93 Integra? Or 3rd gen 94-01? 2nd gen cars had some problems with seals under some fasteners in the cowl area. That's pretty common. But 94+ cars did not have those fasteners or that problem.

94+ Integras have a sort of "drip tray" at the base of the windshield, and also a "dam" of sorts around the fresh air intake. So it's unlikely that any water is getting in through the fresh air intake. See the pic of my car below. On my car, water drains down from that drip tray, through the frame rail (as it should) but then enters the interior through a failed body seam joint. Unfortunately that seam is inaccessible without drilling out the frame rails spot welds and then re-welding after the seam is repaired.

Attachment 442721
Hey folks I know I'm a few years late here haha, but I fear I'm having this issue on my car. I'm pretty sure it's not the heater core as it only happens on very rainy days and it appears to be water and not coolant.

Patrick, did you ever find a way to fix/mitigate this issue or are you just living with it?

Thanks.
Old 10-20-2023, 08:42 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by nvandoorn
Hey folks I know I'm a few years late here haha, but I fear I'm having this issue on my car. I'm pretty sure it's not the heater core as it only happens on very rainy days and it appears to be water and not coolant.

Patrick, did you ever find a way to fix/mitigate this issue or are you just living with it?

Thanks.
at this point I’m pretty sure the leak from under the dash has sealed itself up likely from mineral deposits lmao. I don’t notice any moisture under the passenger carpet anymore, and my car even sits outside all the time for the past 4 years since getting a Miata.
Old 10-22-2023, 07:15 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Thanks Patrick! Cool to see that you're still active on HondaTech and a thread from 2013 can still be relevant.

I'm a little puzzled by this leak and really need to look closer before it rots out my passenger side floor. It only happens when the car sits overnight in very heavy rain, and even then it doesn't always happen. I thought it may be related to the recirculate/fresh air setting on the dash but no correlation so far. The other thing I find interesting is it appears to be filling my blower motor as the floor is usually dry when I get in, but gets soaked when I fire up the blower motor.

On the plus side, my trunk is completely dry in the rainy season for the first time in 3 years!
Old 10-23-2023, 07:49 AM
Honda-Tech Member

When I first found my passenger floor getting wet, I tore out the entire dashboard to be able to see the firewall sheet metal where it meets the cowl. I did find a small hole in the seam sealer, which I sealed up. But running water down the windshield, the water still found its way in by way of a hole near where the door harness comes through. It was getting through other seam sealer holes inside the frame rail. I had the idea to either cut an access hole to fix the seam sealer, then weld it back up, but I never got around to it lol.