Notices
Acura Integra All Integra Except ITR

few ?'s about oil

Search this Thread

Old 10-06-2006, 09:45 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default few ?'s about oil

before anybody says it, yes i've searched. i've spent a few hours looking at a shitlod of threads about oil. the problem is, most of them are talking about what oil to use on modified engines. i'm here to ask those of you that have stock or close to stock engines (no turbos or built blocks).

what is a good brand of oil? does the brand even make a difference? are there bad brands?

i'm doing a presentation for school on the oil change. i searched for the answers to these questions, but i couldn't really find any concrete info. thanks for any answers.

Modified by civicdxtyper at 11:09 PM 10/7/2006
Old 10-06-2006, 09:58 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Re: few ?'s about oil (civicdxtyper)

Need more info, i.e. what motor and weather conditions?
Old 10-06-2006, 10:03 PM
Honda-Tech Member

this is for a presentation for my communications class, so its not for a specific motor. let's just generalize. as for weather, around here it gets up to 110 in summer and mid-20's in the winter.
Old 10-06-2006, 11:24 PM
Night Owl

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by civicdxtyper &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">before anybody says it, yes i've searched. i've spent a few hours looking at a shitlod of threads about oil. the problem is, most of them are talking about what oil to use on modified engines. i'm here to ask those of you that have stock or close to stock engines (no turbos or built blocks).

1. brand- what is a good brand? does the brand even make a difference? are there bad brands?

</TD></TR></TABLE>

Mobil1, Kendall, Castrol and Pennzoil are all good brands. I prefer Mobil1 full synthetic myself.

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by civicdxtyper &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">
2. synthetic v. regular- is synthetic really better than regular? it's obviously more expensive, so is it worth it? why or why not?
</TD></TR></TABLE>

Yes it is definitely worth it. Synthetic oil is better able to withstand heat.
http://www.carcraft.com/techar...l_oil/

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by civicdxtyper &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">
3. oil weight- what weight of oil should be used when? is it ok to just use the manufacturer recommendation regardless of mileage or location, or should it change?

</TD></TR></TABLE>

I'm assuming you have a 90+ Integra, if so run 5w30 all year round. Change your oil every 3000-3500 miles.
Old 10-07-2006, 12:15 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: few ?'s about oil (Leofski)

so are there any bad brands? what makes an oil brand "bad"? also, why have i heard people mention going to a higher weight of oil for cold weather? is there a point to this, or does it not make a difference?
Old 10-07-2006, 12:34 PM
Honda-Tech Member

anybody?
Old 10-07-2006, 12:43 PM
Night Owl

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by civicdxtyper &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">so are there any bad brands? what makes an oil brand "bad"?</TD></TR></TABLE>

I've had bad experiences with generic Wal-mart, Ace Hardware brands, etc.

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by civicdxtyper &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote"> also, why have i heard people mention going to a higher weight of oil for cold weather? </TD></TR></TABLE>

Well if you use 10w30 in the engine in below freezing temperatures, it will not maintain the proper viscosity. I've cranked over a car in Alaska and it was really weird, you could feel/hear each RPM before the engine warmed up. If you live anywhere in the continental US, 5w30 is just fine.

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by civicdxtyper &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote"> is there a point to this, or does it not make a difference?</TD></TR></TABLE>

A lot of people switch to 10w30, a thicker oil, if they are burning oil.

Quit making H-T do your homework and SEARCH.
Use google and the search function at the top of your page. Also read that link I provided.
Old 10-07-2006, 12:54 PM
Hype-R Stalker

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by civicdxtyper &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">so are there any bad brands? what makes an oil brand "bad"?</TD></TR></TABLE>

Anything under a dollar

From what I've heard that makes them cheap, is they remix used oil,
Separating the oil from all of the metal/material left in it, and then repackaging it.
Old 10-07-2006, 01:02 PM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Leofski &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

I've had bad experiences with generic Wal-mart, Ace Hardware brands, etc.

Well if you use 10w30 in the engine in below freezing temperatures, it will not maintain the proper viscosity. I've cranked over a car in Alaska and it was really weird, you could feel/hear each RPM before the engine warmed up. If you live anywhere in the continental US, 5w30 is just fine.

A lot of people switch to 10w30, a thicker oil, if they are burning oil.

Quit making H-T do your homework and SEARCH.
Use google and the search function at the top of your page. Also read that link I provided.</TD></TR></TABLE>

thanks, but i'm ahead of you on the searching thing. i spent many an hour searching yahoo and h-t. what bad experiences have you had? really, i couldn't find anything about cheap oil anywhere. all i could find was people explaining how and why a certain brand was so great. so far i haven't been able to find a reason not to recommend wal-mart oil.
Old 10-07-2006, 01:03 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: few ?'s about oil (CleanLikeJdm)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by CleanLikeJdm &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

Anything under a dollar

From what I've heard that makes them cheap, is they remix used oil,
Separating the oil from all of the metal/material left in it, and then repackaging it.</TD></TR></TABLE>

well, we all know that used oil gets recycled. so do only cheaper brands use recycled oil, and the top-end brands use all brand new? if so, how can you distinguish the difference?
Old 10-07-2006, 05:18 PM

I have used Castrol 10/30 conventional oil for the last 100,000 miles on my 300,000 mile 92 RS Integra, changing the oil somewhere between 3000 and 5000 mile intervals. She runs like a charm to this day, pulling nicely to redline.

Make a note in your report how the oil companys say to change your oil every 3000 miles, yet the auto manufacturers say to change it every 7500 miles. One company wants you to buy more oil, and the other wants you to buy more cars, lol.
Old 10-07-2006, 06:12 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: few ?'s about oil (Sam92Teg)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Sam92Teg &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">I have used Castrol 10/30 conventional oil for the last 100,000 miles on my 300,000 mile 92 RS Integra, changing the oil somewhere between 3000 and 5000 mile intervals. She runs like a charm to this day, pulling nicely to redline.

Make a note in your report how the oil companys say to change your oil every 3000 miles, yet the auto manufacturers say to change it every 7500 miles. One company wants you to buy more oil, and the other wants you to buy more cars, lol.</TD></TR></TABLE>

yeah im gonna mention that; i change mine at 5k. i think i've got everything covered for my presenation, except what oils to avoid and why. i found a lot of web sites praising this oil or that, but really nothing that says to avoid a certain one.
Old 10-07-2006, 06:48 PM

all you need to know about oil.
http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/
Old 10-07-2006, 07:34 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: few ?'s about oil (vinai)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by vinai &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">all you need to know about oil.
http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/
</TD></TR></TABLE>

i already looked at that. so none of you guys know why you're spending that extra money on the expensive oil?
Old 10-07-2006, 08:12 PM

the only input i have is never use penzoil. ive torn apart several engines where the owner used nothing but penzoil from day 1 and the build up was absolutly rediculous
Old 10-07-2006, 08:13 PM
Night Owl

i already looked at that. so none of you guys know why you're spending that extra money on the expensive oil?</TD></TR></TABLE>

Did nothing I said in the first post or that link I posted convince you as to why quality synthetic&gt; crap brands?? *sigh*
Old 10-07-2006, 09:06 PM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Leofski &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

Did nothing I said in the first post or that link I posted convince you as to why quality synthetic&gt; crap brands?? *sigh*</TD></TR></TABLE>

i agree with you that synthetic is better. however, i want to be able to recommend both good synthetic and good regular brands. some people are against synthetics for some reason. i want to be able to give good reasons why a certain dino oil is good and why a certain one is bad. otherwise, why not just get the cheapest crap at wal-mart?

edit: one of the reasons people would be against synthetic is cost. in that case, they'd be even more likely to get the cheapest oil they can find. why is cheap dino oil a good or bad idea, as compared to expensive dino oil?

edit 2: are there are differences in synthetic oils? are there certain brands to stay away from, or should you just get the cheapest synthetic you can find (as long as the weight is correct of course)?
Old 10-07-2006, 09:27 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Did nothing I said in the first post or that link I posted convince you as to why quality synthetic&gt; crap brands?? *sigh*</TD></TR></TABLE>

ghey
Old 10-07-2006, 09:28 PM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by civicdxtyper &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">i already looked at that. so none of you guys know why you're spending that extra money on the expensive oil?</TD></TR></TABLE>

I know why I do. There is a definite difference in idling and rev up with synthetic oil vs dino oil. I used Pennzoil dino oil for at least a year and when I switched to Mobil 1, I felt the difference immediately.

Not to mention, I have a boosted motor and an oil cooled turbo, so the synthetic lasts longer without being broken down and completely nasty when I change it every 3k miles. The oil temp also seems lower than it did with the synthetic compared to the dino oil.
Old 10-07-2006, 09:29 PM
Night Owl

Default Re: few ?'s about oil (HoUTX98GSR)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by HoUTX98GSR &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

ghey</TD></TR></TABLE>

Care to elaborate or are you still butt-hurt that I pwned you in the 18s thread?

Refer to sig for proof of said pwnage.
Old 10-07-2006, 10:33 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: few ?'s about oil (Dartanian)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Dartanian &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

I know why I do. There is a definite difference in idling and rev up with synthetic oil vs dino oil. I used Pennzoil dino oil for at least a year and when I switched to Mobil 1, I felt the difference immediately.

Not to mention, I have a boosted motor and an oil cooled turbo, so the synthetic lasts longer without being broken down and completely nasty when I change it every 3k miles. The oil temp also seems lower than it did with the synthetic compared to the dino oil.</TD></TR></TABLE>

i understand that synthetic is better; that's not my question. i'm asking if there is a difference between cheap and expensive dino oil, and cheap and expensive synthetic. i want to compare dino to dino, and synthetic to synthetic. are there better and worse brands of each, or should we just buy whatever's cheapest?
Old 10-08-2006, 10:28 AM

There is two diffrent types of synthetics. I us 0-40 mobile 1 synthetic because is meets the euro's standard for oil. The oil viscosity does not break down as fast. I would get castrol 5w-30 but I am lazy to go to bmw to get it. They do not sell 5w-30 with the same oil viscosity rating at local stores. Most synthetics that are 5w30 break down to 10w30 within the first 30 minutes of being put into the car. I can't find the exact article though. The sight has changed to a forum, before used to be just a faq site. I did not want to write anything because I did not want to do the research for you.