Notices
Acura Integra All Integra Except ITR

Trunk release problem solution (don't give accura a cent!)

Search this Thread

Old 11-08-2005, 09:52 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Trunk release problem solution (don't give accura a cent!)

OK anyone who has had/is having problems with this automatic electric switch for opening your rear hatch. Accura will tell you you have to replace the actuator assembly (aprx $125 canadian). Despite the obvious poor performance of the part (as seen by the many people previously posting with this problem), accura's engineering department continues to install this system! I don't even own this car but my friend does and having just helped her out after speaking to the bigest a**hole I've ever heard from at the dealership (they wanted to charge her $600 to replace the lock and actuator) I've decided that this is nothing but a disgusting cash grab!!!!!! So here's the $2 fix. If any of you have a tech website feel free to post this fix on it as I will not be posting it anywhere else and it will otherwise disappear after 7 days. If you've never had this problem you may want to print this for when it will enevitably happen.

I have solved the problem with the trunk release actuator (don't give accura a penny before reading this).

Beginers start here:
1) remove plastic liner at rear of trunk (unscrew both bolts & remove the plastic button like things with the help of a needle to pry the center part out)

2) Looking out from the inside of your trunk you will see a black plastic box (6"length) to the lower right of the trunk latch, this is the actuator assembly, your goal is to remove this part.

3) Unclip the bar ataching the actuator to the lock mechanism (lower left of the trunk latch)

4) Undo the three brass bolts attaching the bracket which holds the actuator assembly.

5) Unscrew and gently remove the black actuator assembly (4 brass screws securing it to the bracket , then 4 more holding the part together, you can't tell which is which so just be carefull the thing doesn't open up and spill the parts out)

6) bring the part in to your workbench to work on the part.

7) You will most likely want to reconect the bracket and rod from #3 & 4 above, now your trunk will still work perfectly with the key untill you're ready to replace the fixed actuator.

Advanced start here:
6) remove the cover of the actuator assembly, you will now see two sets of sprockets and a motor in the lower portion.

7) remove sprockets slowly to get at the motor.

8) remove motor by gently tuging straight up ( don't lose the little white stabiliser bit on the end).

The motor is a $5 canadian (that's like 50cents US ) part produced by Mabuchi motors for all kinds of small aplications like high school science experiments. Accura engineers have simply added a special gear on the end of it which is welded on and you shouldn't waste your time trying to remove.

There is no serial number on the motor (VN... is the manufacture date). And you cannot order a replacement motor with the gear on it but you can get the motor without the gear. From the note in the package I received it looks like the serial # should be FC 280 PT - 20150.
http://www.mabuchi-motor.co.jp...0pasa

The motor is likely fine and just need to be cleaned or the small plastic end cap needs replacement.

9) use a small pair of needle nose pliers and a baby screwdriver to very gently pry off the 2 crimps and then the plastic end cap. This took me 30 minutes to and hour just be patient and carefull not to stab yourself with the screwdriver.

10) Once you get the endcap offdust off the interior of the motor with a cloth and maybe some rubbing alcohol if you want.

11)Replace the plastic cap with a new one from mabuchi. Be carefull to ensure the brushes (2 tiny metal looking blocks slip over the spindle)

12) Replace white plastic endcap on the motor and replace the motor in the black case.

13) replace sprockets, close black case and screw in the four short brass screws.

14) plug assembly back into car and verify the trigger moves when you slide the switch on your trunk (make sure it's unlocked from the drivers side first).

15) If it works reinstall in reverse order of removal proceedures above.

Well I hope this helped some of you, please post if it did, or didn't and like I said someone <U>please repost this permanently somewhere out there</U>. I would hate to have waisted my time typing this out for nothing. Best of luck everyone!

The website for Mabuchi motors in Japan & US is:
http://www.mabuchi-motor.co.jp....html
Unlike the experience I had with Accura these people are absolutely fantastic and most helpfull. The part you want is: FC 280 PT-20150 and preferably just the plastic end with the brushes (else you'll have to pry it open again).

As an afterthought if you found this helpfull and it saved you some dough, please buy a new toy to donate for christmas, or make a small donation to the next charity you see (and no, a pledge to Bush doesn't count).

Cheers, L

Modified by lawnrider at 12:01 PM 11/8/2005
Old 11-08-2005, 09:57 AM

Default Re: Trunk release problem solution (lawnrider)

print what out
Old 11-08-2005, 10:09 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Trunk release problem solution (gsr2000)

dear lawnrider,

Your thread is very hard to understand, are you talking about the acura lawnmower or a car? Sometimes when you hit vtec in the lawnmower it messes up the trunk becuase hitting vtec on wet grass causes the rear left wheel to lose traction and hit the back on the floor and twist the frame at the same time, which will not allow the trunk to open. since its only 1 wheel drive. This may be why the dealerships are charging $600

The solution to this is to swap the crv drivetrain into your acura lawnmower and convert it to 4wd. You must take caution to only operate the mower when it is warm because the 5whp is not very much to turn 4 wheels and you could break the motor. The solution to this is to buy apc altezza lightweight taillights and lightweight type-r seats. Good luck.
Old 11-08-2005, 10:22 AM
Honda-Tech Member

i want to know how to fix the trunk. what did u do to fix it?
Old 11-08-2005, 11:00 AM

Here, sorry sometimes it takes time to type everything out:

OK anyone who has had/is having problems with this automatic electric switch for opening your rear hatch. Accura will tell you you have to replace the actuator assembly (aprx $125 canadian). Despite the obvious poor performance of the part (as seen by the many people previously posting with this problem), accura's engineering department continues to install this system! I don't even own this car but my friend does and having just helped her out after speaking to the bigest a**hole I've ever heard from at the dealership (they wanted to charge her $600 to replace the lock and actuator) I've decided that this is nothing but a disgusting cash grab!!!!!! So here's the $2 fix. If any of you have a tech website feel free to post this fix on it as I will not be posting it anywhere else and it will otherwise disappear after 7 days. If you've never had this problem you may want to print this for when it will enevitably happen.

I have solved the problem with the trunk release actuator (don't give accura a penny before reading this).

Beginers start here:
1) remove plastic liner at rear of trunk (unscrew both bolts & remove the plastic button like things with the help of a needle to pry the center part out)

2) Looking out from the inside of your trunk you will see a black plastic box (6"length) to the lower right of the trunk latch, this is the actuator assembly, your goal is to remove this part.

3) Unclip the bar ataching the actuator to the lock mechanism (lower left of the trunk latch)

4) Undo the three brass bolts attaching the bracket which holds the actuator assembly.

5) Unscrew and gently remove the black actuator assembly (4 brass screws securing it to the bracket , then 4 more holding the part together, you can't tell which is which so just be carefull the thing doesn't open up and spill the parts out)

7) You will most likely want to reconect the bracket and rod from #3 & 4 above, now your trunk will still work perfectly with the key untill you're ready to replace the fixed actuator.

Advanced start here:
6) remove the cover of the actuator assembly, you will now see two sets of sprockets and a motor in the lower portion.

8) remove motor by gently tuging straight up ( don't lose the little white stabiliser bit on the end).

The motor is a $5 canadian (that's like 50cents US ) part produced by Mabuchi motors for all kinds of small aplications like high school science experiments. Accura engineers have simply added a special gear on the end of it which is welded on and you shouldn't waste your time trying to remove.

There is no serial number on the motor (VN... is the manufacture date). And you cannot order a replacement motor with the gear on it but you can get the motor without the gear. From the note in the package I received it looks like the serial # should be FC 280 PT - 20150.

The motor is likely fine and just need to be cleaned or the small plastic end cap needs replacement.

9) use a small pair of needle nose pliers and a baby screwdriver to very gently pry off the 2 crimps and then the plastic end cap. This took me 30 minutes to and hour just be patient and carefull not to stab yourself with the screwdriver.

10) Once you get the endcap offdust off the interior of the motor with a cloth and maybe some rubbing alcohol if you want.

11)Replace the plastic cap with a new one from mabuchi. Be carefull to ensure the brushes (2 tiny metal looking blocks slip over the spindle)

12) Replace white plastic endcap on the motor and replace the motor in the black case.

13) replace sprockets, close black case and screw in the four short brass screws.

14) plug assembly back into car and verify the trigger moves when you slide the switch on your trunk (make sure it's unlocked from the drivers side first).

Well I hope this helped some of you, please post if it did, or didn't and like I said someone <U>please repost this permanently somewhere out there</U>. I would hate to have waisted my time typing this out for nothing. Best of luck everyone!

Unlike the experience I had with Accura these people are absolutely fantastic and most helpfull. The part you want is: FC 280 PT-20150 and preferably just the plastic end with the brushes (else you'll have to pry it open again).

As an afterthought if you found this helpfull and it saved you some dough, please buy a new toy to donate for christmas, or make a small donation to the next charity you see (and no, a pledge to Bush doesn't count).

Cheers, Lawnrider
Old 11-08-2005, 11:04 AM

Default Re: Trunk release problem solution (delLudeVTEC)

Sorry delLude, it took me some time to write the whole thing out and so as an afterthought I replaced the original post with the entire explanation. And yes, it's the car not an integra lawnmower. Let me know if the post is any clearer now.
Old 11-08-2005, 11:21 AM

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by lawnrider &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">
1) remove plastic liner at rear of trunk (unscrew both bolts & remove the plastic button like things with the help of a needle to pry the center part out)</TD></TR></TABLE>

wrong.. thos "plastic button like things" open easily. all you do is get a pen and push the center down a little, then take the whole thing out. only stupid newbies pry it out
Old 11-08-2005, 02:23 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Trunk release problem solution (allmotorgizzles)

good job on the write up
Old 11-08-2005, 03:22 PM
Daisy... Daisy...

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by lawnrider
Here, sorry sometimes it takes time to type everything out:

Beginers start here:

Advanced start here:

Cheers, Lawnrider
Originally Posted by lawnrider
If any of you have a tech website feel free to post this fix on it as I will not be posting it anywhere else and it will otherwise disappear after 7 days.
Consider this permanent. This ain't goin' nowhere.
Old 11-12-2005, 12:46 PM

Default Re: Trunk release problem solution (Dogginator)

How did you go about ordering this motor? I'm not finding any option to buy it online... Do you call the West Coast Sales Office to order this part?

thanks,
-Mike
Old 11-13-2005, 10:42 PM

Default Re: Trunk release problem solution (supadupamikey)

No I called the office in michigan and asked them for the part number I mentioned. Took a week to deliver to Canada, should be less in the states.
Cheers
Old 11-16-2005, 12:17 PM

Well, I called the Michigan office on Monday and got forwarded to some guys voicemail (the sales rep for Florida, i guess), but haven't heard anything back yet. I called the California office this morning and didn't reach anyone but voicemail, and then I called the Michigan office again and left another voicemail in the main directory of the phone system.

blah... so i guess im just waiting on them to call... i'll probably bug them again soon...
Old 12-09-2005, 09:14 AM

i've now left 5 voicemails for these punks........
Old 12-12-2005, 12:16 PM

i finally got a call back! w00t!!

until he told me they dont sell to consumers anymore. WTF?!

grrrrrrrrrr.... took me almost a month to get a hold of this place and then he says they cant help me. thanks. thanks a lot.
Old 03-22-2011, 07:02 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: Trunk release problem solution (don't give accura a cent!)

Just found this thread and im going to give it a shot. I found a seller on ebay that sells the motor $6 (mabuchi motor Part# FC 280PT - 20150). If it works that will be a cheap fix.
Old 03-22-2011, 07:34 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Good info for anyone trying to save money.
Old 03-22-2011, 09:22 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by Wyatt87
Just found this thread and im going to give it a shot. I found a seller on ebay that sells the motor $6 (mabuchi motor Part# FC 280PT - 20150). If it works that will be a cheap fix.
Finding a 12 volt motor would be a lot simpler for anyone rather than trying to replace the endbell on these sealed motors. Just transfer the gear (not sure how it is fastened on the shaft) by either pressing off and back on or if a metal gear it may be soldered on, so heat and remove and solder back on.

I would love to see a good close up picture of this motor and gear to determine best method of R and R.