Notices
Acura Integra All Integra Except ITR

Trouble shooting a no start

Search this Thread

Old 09-02-2016, 03:34 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Trouble shooting a no start

Just did ngk v-power spark plugs, ngk wires, new distributor, cap n rotor n gaskets, valve cover gasket/etc, cleaned throttle body, intake manifold, idle air control valve, new pvc n grommet n hose as well as a new filter. Car won't start. Plugs are at correct gap, everything plugged back in correctly, nothing done out of order or spec.

Prior the car had horrible idleidle and would stumble to a dead stop. Which is why I went ahead and did all of this. Now nothing. Battery is also good.

Any help appreciated. I'm guessing sometsomething to do with fuel? Filter, pump or injectors or rails or line. Never checked those because I'm not sure how. I've replaced injectors before, cleaned a rail before and have done a fuel filter and line before but never a pump. Eventually all will be replaced but in the meantime I'd rather not throw money at it guessing what is wrong. This is a 2001 Integra GS.
Old 09-02-2016, 03:37 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Trouble shooting a no start

Forgot to mention oil change as well. All fluids good. How can I check anything to do with fuel or would I need to remove and inspect? I can hear it prime and car definitely tries to start, slightly bad shake when trying if that helps.
Old 09-02-2016, 03:40 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 41 Likes on 41 Posts

Starting Problems
Old 09-02-2016, 04:03 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I checked the link, thank you for that. According to it the only thing that could be it was a flooded engine. Tried the method described in there and nothing. When it says to crank with foot on gas for a minute to clear a flooded engine is that cranking non stop or crank on and off? Tried both and didn't do anything but start to kill the battery and have a really harsh fuel smell.
Old 09-02-2016, 04:29 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Was the old fuel filter clogged really bad?
Old 09-02-2016, 05:15 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Didn't have enough funds to do anything else than what I listed. Next up was going to be new fuel filter, fuel line, all new injectors and seal kits for them and was going to thoroughly clean out the rail. Pump if needed. The way the car acted since I bought it three weeks ago really leaned towards the stuff I've done and replaced.

Basically ever since I put on the new distributor and stuff it hasn't ran. I did a full tune up and never started again since. I've checked everything thoroughly many times. Top dead center, timing good, etc. Just don't get it. I'm guessing it's fuel related now. Has to be. I will try to get the fuel stuff soon and hope that fixes everything.

How can I tell if the fuel filter is clogged? Appears to be a sealed unit unless fully removed. Even then, does it open without being cut?
Old 09-02-2016, 05:44 PM
Honda-Tech Member

So in you first post you said you changed the filter, now your saying you didn't?
Old 09-02-2016, 05:56 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Air * filter.
Old 09-02-2016, 05:58 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Well that's silly

Yes the fuel filter is a sealed unit, you can either put a fuel pressure gauge on , or do it the old fashioned way, take the filter off, try your best to drain it, wipe it off good, and blow through it.
Old 09-02-2016, 06:45 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Bit too late to try that now. For the trouble of removing it twice I'd rather wait till I order in said parts. Probably take everything apart over the weekend and go over it. Bought the car in really rough shape, almost zero gas and filled with a fresh tank. It definitely needs a lot of love but I'm cracking the list down a little each day.
Old 09-02-2016, 06:50 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Always good.to replace the fuel filter when doing plugs and wires
Old 09-04-2016, 05:27 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Fuel pump primes, cel comes on and goes off, all three checks/clicks are good which means ecu IA good, fuel pump is good, distributor is good with new coil, cap and rotor, wires and plugs, pvc and hose and grommet, throttle body cleaned, idle air control cleaned, gets spark, battery good and nothing dims when trying to start, took steps to see if flooded and nothing, car cranks but no start, fuel filter was clear, gets fuel to filter, took off to see, injectors and rail also get fuel.

Fuses are being checkedchecked next. Any ideas?
Old 09-04-2016, 05:43 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Verify injector pulse
Old 09-05-2016, 05:48 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Never done that before. By way of the injector itself or from the harness? Multimeter?
Old 09-05-2016, 02:59 PM
fcm
Old Fart

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

You can use an LED type 12V test light the check the injectors, first test for power, lead that is the same color at each injector should have power when ign. is in BOTH the run and start positions.

Next check for a ground pulse to the injectors, [lead that is a different color at each injector] if both good, power and ground pulse try starting engine then immediately remove spark plugs and see if they are "wet" with gas, check all plugs. 94
Old 09-07-2016, 07:25 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Replaced the fuel filter, cleaned the fuel hose from filter to rail, cleaned the rail and injectors, tested them all and in working order, duty cycle good and spray pattern good. So fuel is not the culprit.

Heading onto power. Checked the battery that came with the car out, looks clean and in good condition. Battery cables not so much. They're just awfully old, cleaned them up as well as the contact post and terminals. Still nothing. Let it charge off my girls van and still nothing. The alternator is old as can be and shows its age. All lights work, semi dim when trying to start the car but nothing that doesn't seem normal. Might take it to get tested. But could also be low from multiple attempts at starting and never being charged due to not getting the car started. Perhaps it's the battery not having enough juice to turn the car over? It came with a duralast battery, not duralast gold. So probably only good for 2-3 years if that. Could be the alternator. Looks like it could be the original or have been replaced at one time and is just old as dirt now.

For the way the car acted from day one of purchase it was always fighting to stay running, always started though, just really rough and would resist pushing itself around 25-40+ mph. Very hesitant on and off until it would finally just go. I could hold my foot down on the gas and it would literally go back and fourth between fumbling and going. Which led me to believe the stuff I've done was what was needed. Never got to see how much of an improvement all the work I've done to it has made.

What's odd is that I drove it home and immediately did plugs, wires, cap n rotor, fresh tank of gas since it was on empty and then started it up but all symptoms were still present after a few minutes. Unplugged the battery while doing this work. Then when I got the rest of the parts the very next day it was unplugged again and distributor replaced, valve cover removed and clean and gaskets done as well as iacv and tb and im all cleaned out and air dried as well as pvc and grommet and hose replaced. Put it all back, plugged everything in on im and throttle body and nothing since.

So spark is good, fuel is good, timing is good. Anything else I'm missing? Only stuff left is battery and alternator. Everything else checks out according to all of the ways to test in the link above. Very puzzling. Appreciate all the help thus far.
Old 09-07-2016, 01:02 PM
fcm
Old Fart

When you say "nothing since" do you mean engine does not even crank? 94
Old 09-07-2016, 06:21 PM
Honda-Tech Member

It goes through the entire run through while trying to start it. Not the dead sound or just click noise. It actually tries to crank over but just won't. Motor shakes a bit when trying. Probably needs new engine mounts as well. But it's definitely trying to start. Belts move and all. Just no go.
Old 09-07-2016, 06:26 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Verify mechanical timing, and also spark plug wire order.
Old 09-07-2016, 06:45 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I've checked spark plug wire order a couple times just to be sure. How do I check mechanical timing? Do you mean doing it by hand to see if it's on marks and top dead center, etc? If so, done that as well.
Old 09-07-2016, 06:51 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Basically, yes, verify all the timing marks on the belt/cams/crank gear are spot ******* on
Old 09-07-2016, 07:21 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Just double checked...again. All good there. Even if it wasn't wouldn't it still start but just run retarded?
Old 09-08-2016, 01:46 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Little update. I decided to go back to the beginning. I originally did plugs and wires first when I bought it due to it needing a tune up. Guy I bought it from honestly wasn't sure if it'd make it to my house. Anyway I pulled the plugs just now. They were completely dark as pitch black night from the base of where they screw in on down to the diode. Four was the worst. Now when I did the vc gasket set the one currently on the car was leaking slightly but the ones for the spark plug tubes were not at all. And all the plugs were dry, very dirty but dry. Mine I just pulled smelled of oil and gas and were dry. I just replaced them all with fresh ngk v-power plugs. I'm waiting to attempt to start this car. Any idea why this could of happened? I'm thinking this might be why it died and hasn't been starting despite all I've done and been doing. If there is something possibly causing it to have done this I'd like to check before proceeding further.
Old 09-08-2016, 05:46 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Took a gamble and tried to start it just twice with no luck. Didn't want to push it too much. Pulled each plug one at a time and all still looked good. Not sure what happened to the first set I put in it.

Anyway tomorrow I'll be heading into a new direction via a new alternator and battery. If that doesn't get the car working it may just be time to call it quits and part it out. Not sure what else it could possibly be that I've not already gone over, ran testing on, etc.
Old 09-09-2016, 09:46 AM
fcm
Old Fart

Pix of old plugs would help, what your spark plugs look like can point you in the direction of your problem.... Reading 101: How to Read Your Spark Plugs - OnAllCylinders. 94

Quick Reply: Trouble shooting a no start