Acura Integra All Integra Except ITR

Tranny Removal and Install

Search this Thread

Old 02-07-2004, 11:52 AM
New User

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Tranny Removal and Install

Hi everyone,

I am about to take my tranny out and replace it with a another one. I know all the steps to put in on and get it off. I was just wondering if anyone knows if there is any extra parts that i might need to replace other then the flywheel and clutch. Another thing do you know if it is possible for me to do this all by myself? taking the tranny out is probally easier then lining the mainshaft back up and putting it in. Do you think this can be a one man job. What do you use to support the tranny when you take it off and put it on.

thanks
Old 02-07-2004, 12:33 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Tranny Removal and Install (integraGSR213)

The only parts i wish i had when i put my new tranny and clutch and flywheel in was some castle nuts and cotter pins. The cotter pins you can get from an auto store, but the castle nuts may have to be purchased at honda (I could not find them any where else). Some other things to think about getting is grease and "locktite" if you don't have any of that. Also don't forget to get some transmission fluid, and possibly a new throw out bearing (if not supplied with one).

As for a one man job, it is possible. You could definately take of the tranny by yourself, but putting it back on the block may require two people. I used a jack to support the tranny as I took it off and put it on.

Hope that helps, by the way what tranny are you getting???
Old 02-07-2004, 12:41 PM
Will you make something up for me please?

Default Re: Tranny Removal and Install (Ketone)

You should be fine....maybe get a new throwout bearing and pilot bearing while you're at it. Most of the time, it'll come included with a new clutch kit. If not, they are very cheap. Maybe $20 or less for both.

As Keytone said, it's pretty much a one person job, but it doesn't hurt to get a buddy or two. Having someone hold/lift things for you definitely makes things easier. Use a jack to hold the tranny up from underneath and have another person on top to line it with the block.

What do you mean putting in the mainshaft? So you actually took apart the tranny? The mainshaft/countershaft is in there and is a bitch to get back in all lined up. If you can do that, I'd imagine you'll have no problem installing a tranny.
Old 02-07-2004, 02:47 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: Tranny Removal and Install (shamoo)

I think he meant the input shaft... getting the splines into the clutch.

it is no fun putting thet tranny back on yourself. I used a jack and ductaped a 2x4 to the jack and balanced the tranny with my hands. It is a lot easier getting it back in if you remove the whole front tranny mount from the car. it gets in the way when you jack it up.

As far as certain things usually overlooked. 10mm 12 point for pressure plate, 17mm 12 pt for flywheel bolts. 3 extra pressure plate bolts if you are installing an aftermarket clutch and flywheel. loctite on the flywheel bolts. ball joint boots if you split them by accident. greasing the input shaft, shift fork, and spline. 5/16" pin punch tool for the shifter linkage. hth
Old 02-07-2004, 03:29 PM
New User

Default Re: Tranny Removal and Install (tilt)

thanks for all the input...i am taking my tranny out right now just came to check on what advice everyone has. do they sell loctite at kragens or auto zone. those are the closes auto parts stores around my area. anyone more advice would be so helpful. i need all the info i can get. i am using a helms manual to help me so far so good. i am really worried about putting the tranny back in. i might try the 2x4 or some sort of variation of that.

thanks alot
Old 02-07-2004, 03:37 PM

You can use a jack to hold up the tranny while getting it up and down, but it's a hell of alot easier and safer if you have some more hands. Especially getting it back in can be a bitch because you have to keep rocking it around to get the spline into the clutch disk. If you are by yourself with a jack, the jack can move on you and you get tired from holding it up, etc. Just get 2 friends to help and give them all the beer they want. Also, make sure you change the pilot bearing in the flywheel and the throw-out bearing while it's apart. You may be kicking yourself later on if one of them starts going bad on you. Also, the biggest pain in the asses with pulling the tranny IMO on a "virgin" tranny is pulling the axles and the pin holding on the shift linkage. If the pin doesn't come out then jack the car up higher to get a larger swing on hitting it with a hammer and punch.
Old 02-07-2004, 03:44 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

yeah they have loctite at autozone. I used blue loctite, no probs so far. some people use red to make sure those bolts dont back out.

also if you have trouble getting the shift linkage pin out, you can just unbolt the linkage at the shifter/stick end and drop the tranny with the linkage.
Old 02-09-2004, 03:09 PM
New User

Default Re: Tranny Removal and Install (tilt)

do you have to remove both axels to be able to remove the tranny or is it possible to just remove the passenger side? doing this by myself for the first time so i have so many questions. thanks for all the answers
Old 02-09-2004, 03:16 PM
Honda-Tech Member

http://www.c-speedracing.com/h...h.php

thats how to replace a clutch; but just take the tranny off instead preey much the same