Notices
Acura Integra All Integra Except ITR

Torn CV boots..new boots or new axle?

Search this Thread

Old 08-02-2004, 02:11 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Torn CV boots..new boots or new axle?

While doing my oil change I noticed
my axle boots are torn on both axles.

There is no clicking sound yet so the axles are
not damaged. Remanufactured axles from autozone are
140 a pair. Replacing the boots will
cost $80.

The question is whether to replace
the boots or to replace the whole axle?
Anyone had bad experience with changing the boots only?
Thanks for any advice.
Old 08-02-2004, 06:00 AM
Honda-Tech Member

is there any grease still on the axles? If they look fine then just replace your boots knowing that someday you could run into axles problesm. But like my DA9 which had the same prob. you should be fine.
Old 08-02-2004, 06:58 AM

Default Re: (DAsix)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by DAsix &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">is there any grease still on the axles? If they look fine then just replace your boots knowing that someday you could run into axles problesm. But like my DA9 which had the same prob. you should be fine.</TD></TR></TABLE>

I don't know, I say if you have the money go ahead and buy the axles from autozone. I think they even have a lifetime warranty and it should be easier to just change out the whole thing. I have one torn CV Boot that's not causing a problem yet, and that's the route I'm gonna take once I get the $$$.
Old 08-02-2004, 07:20 AM

Default Re: (RidinStock)

Just replace the whole axle, though you may not hear clicking, it may not necessarily mean that debris hasn't entered the boot. Also, with the AZ remanufactured axles, you get $55 back when you turn in your old axle.
Old 08-02-2004, 08:09 AM

if there is no clicking, cut off the old boots, clean the CV joints, put on new boots, and refill w/ new grease. They sell split boots or "quick-boots" at autozone for like $10 and you don't have to remove anything. Jack up the car, replace them, and you're done. Why spend $80-140 when $20 will solve the problem?
Old 08-02-2004, 08:15 AM

Default Re: (95db8GSR)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by 95db8GSR &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">if there is no clicking, cut off the old boots, clean the CV joints, put on new boots, and refill w/ new grease. They sell split boots or "quick-boots" at autozone for like $10 and you don't have to remove anything. Jack up the car, replace them, and you're done. Why spend $80-140 when $20 will solve the problem? </TD></TR></TABLE>

The problem with split boots is that they're temporary fixes and will prob leak in 6-8 months.
Old 08-02-2004, 08:28 AM
i

Default Re: (timmy8151)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by timmy8151 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Just replace the whole axle, though you may not hear clicking, it may not necessarily mean that debris hasn't entered the boot. Also, with the AZ remanufactured axles, you get $55 back when you turn in your old axle. </TD></TR></TABLE>

is that 55 for each axle or the pair? and about how long does it take to replace the front boot and/or axle, cause i think mine is cracked
Old 08-02-2004, 08:40 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (timmy8151)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by timmy8151 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

The problem with split boots is that they're temporary fixes and will prob leak in 6-8 months.</TD></TR></TABLE>

I just had torn boot on my driver side, clean out my bearings and bought some boot with grease and its working fine for over a 1 1/2 now. As for my passenger I bought one from autozone and it leak in less then 6 months thats why I rather do it myself.
Old 08-02-2004, 09:40 AM

Default Re:

I always just replace the boots so i can hold onto the honda axles.....well, when i say always, i only did it once per side and everything is fine....its a pain in the *** though, but i just dont trust the aftermarket axles...i used to run a parts store and people were aways warranty exchanging them out...just make sure you clean em out really good and put new grease in if you do this.....so far, so good, 94 gsr w/95,700 miles......just my 2 cents
Old 08-02-2004, 10:04 AM

Default Re: Re: (sabotage7)

if your boots are oem to begin with i say replace the boot. Remanufacture axles at autopart stores are CARP. They vibrate and are not as strong. This is coming from a guy that return and replace advance autopart axles 3 times b/c of vibrationg, clicking and length issue. They are only good for one thing.... Lifetime warentee. Not all remanufacture axles are created equal. Some are built better than other. My friend and i have some bad luck with aftermarket axles .
Old 08-02-2004, 10:05 AM

Default Re: Re: (sabotage7)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by sabotage7 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">I always just replace the boots so i can hold onto the honda axles.....well, when i say always, i only did it once per side and everything is fine....its a pain in the *** though, but i just dont trust the aftermarket axles...i used to run a parts store and people were aways warranty exchanging them out...just make sure you clean em out really good and put new grease in if you do this.....so far, so good, 94 gsr w/95,700 miles......just my 2 cents</TD></TR></TABLE>

Didn't read your post when i wrote mine...but this is exactly what i want to say.