Notices
Acura Integra All Integra Except ITR

Timing not lined up to TDC mark?

Search this Thread

Old 05-04-2016, 06:52 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Timing not lined up to TDC mark?

Engine is a JDM B18C.

Check out the two images below.

I placed a long screwdriver into the combustion chamber and stopped rotating the crank once it was at the highest point.
Then, it shows the cam markings are lined up.

But the notch on the crank pulley doesn't match?

Hard to tell from the picture, but if you look very carefully you can see the white notch to the left of timing cover mark.

It's strange because I distinctly remember lining up the oil pump sprocket notch with TDC mark on the block before putting it together.
What's going on?

Thanks!
Attached Images   
Old 05-04-2016, 09:54 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 797 Likes on 737 Posts
Default Re: Timing not lined up to TDC mark?

It appears normal for one or more of the following changes:

1) Replaced head gasket with a thicker or thinner head gasket.
2) Cylinder head has been surfaced/re-surfaced.
3) Block was sleeved or CSS modified and the deck was machined.

If none of this applies, then you did something wrong during installation. Based on the limited detail in the photos you posted, it is unlikely that you could move the timing belt one tooth +/- at the crank and make the TDC mark line up correctly.
Old 05-05-2016, 08:51 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 42 Likes on 38 Posts

In addition to what JRCivic1 said, timing belts can also stretch a bit over time, if the car runs fine I wouldn't worry about it, just reset the tension on the belt to be safe. (or change it depending on how long it's been)
Old 05-05-2016, 03:02 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by JRCivic1
It appears normal for one or more of the following changes:

1) Replaced head gasket with a thicker or thinner head gasket.
2) Cylinder head has been surfaced/re-surfaced.
3) Block was sleeved or CSS modified and the deck was machined.

If none of this applies, then you did something wrong during installation. Based on the limited detail in the photos you posted, it is unlikely that you could move the timing belt one tooth +/- at the crank and make the TDC mark line up correctly.
Originally Posted by MotorMouth93
In addition to what JRCivic1 said, timing belts can also stretch a bit over time, if the car runs fine I wouldn't worry about it, just reset the tension on the belt to be safe. (or change it depending on how long it's been)
Thanks for the replies guys - none of that stuff on your list applies.

It's a brand new timing belt / cams / gears.
I haven't even tried to turn it over yet.

When I match the TDC mark on the crank pulley to the timing cover perfectly, then I get this mismatch between the cam gears.

Is it just error in mark placement? Something else off?
It's not a full tooth off so it's a bit strange to me.
Attached Images  
Old 05-05-2016, 03:19 PM
Honda-Tech Member

what type of cams? cause that may be the problem. Some cams may need to be dialed in before actually having the cam set at TDC
Old 05-05-2016, 04:14 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by Civic92Turbo
what type of cams? cause that may be the problem. Some cams may need to be dialed in before actually having the cam set at TDC
They're just Skunk2 Tuner Stage 1 similar to ITR/CTR cams. Although Skunk2 didn't include any special instructions so i'm not sure what's needed outside of the helms.
Old 05-05-2016, 05:50 PM
Honda-Tech Member

weird. do you have a cam holder? This may help, but i have always found the right cam a little off myself on some motors( but in your case try setting both cams to TDC). what I have done is adjust the right cam with a wrench to TDC and then set my belts, rotate the crank and double check if it jumped or check if the belt has loosen. this should give you a general idea if your off or not. rotating the entire motor wont damage or do any contact to the valves, since the motor is not at full running order.

Evolution Industries Timing Gear Tool (Honda B-Series)

Also on your first Photo. your cam gear do look a little off. you may want to check those cams gears and see if those are tight
Old 05-06-2016, 07:56 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm no expert but are you sure you set the timing right? I know whenever i was first learning to set timing I didn't know you were supposed to hold the belt tight from the exhaust side and use the tensioner to tighten the intake side. When i didn't do that it would show slightly off on the timing marks like yours is.
Old 05-07-2016, 04:29 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by Civic92Turbo
weird. do you have a cam holder? This may help, but i have always found the right cam a little off myself on some motors( but in your case try setting both cams to TDC). what I have done is adjust the right cam with a wrench to TDC and then set my belts, rotate the crank and double check if it jumped or check if the belt has loosen. this should give you a general idea if your off or not. rotating the entire motor wont damage or do any contact to the valves, since the motor is not at full running order.

Evolution Industries Timing Gear Tool (Honda B-Series)

Also on your first Photo. your cam gear do look a little off. you may want to check those cams gears and see if those are tight
I don't have a cam holder unfortunately. And these cams don't have the 5mm pin hole (like OEM) to keep them at TDC while tightening.

It's weird though because if you just move that right cam, the timing belt teeth won't match up with the gear teeth anymore - I'd have to move it a full tooth?
My best guess is that somewhere during the installation process I goofed on the tension.

Originally Posted by NickFury01gsr
I'm no expert but are you sure you set the timing right? I know whenever i was first learning to set timing I didn't know you were supposed to hold the belt tight from the exhaust side and use the tensioner to tighten the intake side. When i didn't do that it would show slightly off on the timing marks like yours is.
Yeah I think you're on the right track - it basically seems like it has to do with the tension.

Now that's strange, when I look at the B16 manual it's saying 1(crank) --> 2(tensioner) --> 3(water pump) --> 4(intake cam) --> 5(exhaust cam).
But the Integra (B18) manual is showing something different 1(crank) --> 2 (tensioner) --> 3(water pump) --> 4(exhaust cam) --> 5(intake cam).

Which is correct? I followed the B16 manual because it's the only one I had at the time.
Old 05-07-2016, 06:07 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Had the same problem about 2 weeks ago. It was off just like yours but with stock cams and cam gears. Tried a few times could not get it all lined up.

Read a ton of threads and some said it's normal. I stopped and just decided to run it like that. Car runs just like before. No weird issues or anything.

If it was off a whole tooth i would be worried but not 1/2 a tooth(which supposedly doesn't exist).
Old 05-07-2016, 06:19 AM
Fish Twig

Received 309 Likes on 285 Posts

What I don't like about these cams is it doesn't tell you what degree. That something that could be looked at. In your 1st set of pics the cam gears look align but your crank does not.
Old 05-07-2016, 11:18 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Well I guess i'll try to re-tension it using the order from the Integra manual kind of going along with what NickFury mentioned.

I mean that's the only reason it could be off by a 1/2 tooth because otherwise that condition doesn't exist.
Old 05-08-2016, 06:37 AM
Honda-Tech Member

if you get if perfectly aligned let us know and tell us how you did it.

Will try to redo mine then if it can be perfectly aligned.
Old 05-08-2016, 05:55 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I started it up tonight with no adjustments made and it seems to be running just fine. Probably though at some point i'll try to re-do it being the perfectionist that I am.

Thanks for everyones help.
Old 05-08-2016, 08:17 PM
Fish Twig

Received 309 Likes on 285 Posts

How do you know side cam is up?
Old 05-09-2016, 04:43 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by tony_2018
How do you know side cam is up?
What do you mean?

I know that the adjustment marks are "UP" because of the key.
That's the same configuration as OEM, but instead of adjustment marks it just reads "UP" with an arrow.

So if the cams are in the UP position and the crank is at TDC (confirmed by screwdriver method) then it should be good to go.
The dilemma above may be caused by installing the belt in the wrong order or not applying the correct tension.

Seems to running OK for now, but at some point i'll try to re-do it just to be sure.
Old 10-16-2016, 04:53 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Finally got everything lined up perfectly. Had to use this special tool to line up the cam gears and keep them from moving while tensioning the belt.

Thanks everyone!
Old 10-16-2016, 08:24 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 272 Likes on 260 Posts

Originally Posted by sk8shorty012

Finally got everything lined up perfectly. Had to use this special tool to line up the cam gears and keep them from moving while tensioning the belt.

Thanks everyone!
​​​​​​​I use this tool every time!