Notices
Acura Integra All Integra Except ITR

Throw out bearing or Tranny bearing? Need some help

Old 12-21-2003, 09:34 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Throw out bearing or Tranny bearing? Need some help

Hey, lately my transmission has been making some strange noise. I couldnt distinguish what the problem is. Here's the situation, when at 1krpm and accelerating slowly to 2k rpm, the transmission makes this noise that's abnormal (almost like fan hitting paper noise, wah wah wah wah but faster rotation.) Its not that noticeable when the radio is on but its here, and it ONLY happens at 1krpm acclerating to 2k rpm on 2nd and 3rd gears. It doesnt make the noise after 2k rpm or when i accelerate hard or when i'm in any gear besides 2nd and 3rd at those RPM's. I'm still riding on stock clutch, 98 GSR with 133k miles. What might the problem be? Thanks in advance.
Old 12-21-2003, 09:45 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Re: Throw out bearing or Tranny bearing? Need some help (1998_4dr_gsr)

Well its definately not the throw-out bearing since it only makes the noise while driving, so the throwout bearing is not in use. It COULD be a tranny bearing, my CRX has a kinda similar problem. Sorry i couldnt help more, im used to cable trannies, but plan to git an Integra soon so ill be frequenting this forum a lot Good Luck
Old 12-21-2003, 10:06 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Anyone else that can help? It might not be the throw-out bearing, I just hope its not a major repair.
Old 12-21-2003, 10:22 PM
New User

My trans in my old 95 RS was making a similar noise, but to about 3k rpms. I thought it was the throwout.. but after I puilled the trans and spinned the shaft, the clinky noise was internal in the trans.

I got help rebuilding it... and it was the shaft bearings all busted up, and the bearing race's were floating in the trans. About $60 in parts to fix.

I say change your trans fluid and see if there is matallic glimmering in the oil, if any metal comes out or it is very shiny then your sh*t might be shot.
Old 12-22-2003, 01:15 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Throw out bearing or Tranny bearing? Need some help (2G0S0R1)

dangit, i might have to goto a shop and get it checked out. Anyone else have similar problems and a price tag on how much it'll cost to fix?
Old 12-22-2003, 09:52 AM
Honda-Tech Member

up ^
Old 12-22-2003, 09:53 AM

jus tyo give you an idea, i've seen a couple of shops charge $200 to just take out the tranny n crack it open to see whats wrong with it, so any parts or extra labor and it'll be even more. Thats why a lotta guys with bearing probs with their cable trannies jus go out n take a chance n buy another tranny and hope its better than their last one.
Old 12-22-2003, 10:05 AM

I had a similar noise in my old integra .. it was a LS with 130k, when i idled it sounded like a tapping noise but it tapped a couple times then stopped for a few seconds and did it again. My local shop said it "might be the throw out bearing" but it wasn't. I replaced the clutch, throw out bearing and the pilot bearing and had the flywheel re-surfaced but the noise didn't go away. eventually it stated making a loud rattleing sound when i downshifted and let the rpms drop. I brought it to a local tranny shop and they told me it was the synchros and it would cost $800-$1100 to fix. Before i was able to get it fixed some moron plowed into the back of my car in traffic and totaled the car.

My advice would be to get it fixed ASAP before it gets any worse and winds up costing more money!
Old 12-22-2003, 10:05 AM
Honda-Tech Member

I am not sure if it's because I live in Florida or not.. However I have yet to find any shop that can work on a Honda tranny correctly. It works out better for me to purchase another tranny.. Maybe upgrade with an LSD.
Old 12-22-2003, 10:15 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (1998_4dr_gsr)

i have the same problem in my 96 ls. I am almost postive it is the input shaft bearing or another tranny bearing. Anyway i have been driving it like this 5xxx miles and my tranny still works great(though i can now upshift without the clutch with absolutely no grinding). I say drive it until it breaks. I have another tranny up in my room i am just waiting to see how long mine lasts.
Old 12-22-2003, 12:29 PM

Default Re: Throw out bearing or Tranny bearing? Need some help (dabrown)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by dabrown &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">It works out better for me to purchase another tranny.. Maybe upgrade with an LSD.</TD></TR></TABLE>

THats usually what happens in most cases. A lot of times fixing your tranny will cost more than just buying another one. You take the chance of the other one being bad too but sometimes thats a chance you gotta take.
Old 12-22-2003, 12:38 PM
Honda-Tech Member

bump for you...tranny noises suck
Old 12-22-2003, 02:05 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (GSR-T-)

*thanks* i'll update more after I get back from tranny shop. I'll change my tranny fluid and see if it'll help.
Old 12-22-2003, 07:49 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Well today I went to 2 shops to get an opinion from "professionals"...first stop is to a local transmission shop. Went there and some vietnamese guy test drove my car, he drove it for awhile then he put my car on a lift and told me to drive it while on lift. While it was on the lift and driving it, i could not hear the "noise", i dont know why but its not there when its on the lift. He then told me its my wheel bearings, he also gave me an estimate. An whopping 400+ dollars for 2 front bearings replaced. It might not even be the wheel bearings, then i went to AAMCO. AAMCO said he could not hear anything and transmission's input shaft is not really common on these cars. He said these cars are pretty "bulletproof". AHH!!

Moral of story: Not all mechanics are "pros" and most don't even know what exactly is wrong with your car even with a test drive. *sighs*

My next stop is a exclusive shop that works for HONDA'S and ACURA's, and see if they can correctly diagnoise my car.
Old 12-22-2003, 09:01 PM
Honda-Tech Member

^^^
Old 12-22-2003, 10:41 PM

Here is what i think. If there is something in your tranny, it would make more sence if it made the noise all the time, and not only when your in your 1k to 2k. If it was your bearing then it would have made a howling sound. If it was your synco it would be hard to shift, and if you rev it high to red line and shift, it would grind. To me it sounds like this problem is only there underload on the suspension. Cause it didn't make the noise when it was on the lift. I want to say its your cv joints, but it would make more sence if it did it all the time too. If its is a tranny bearing then this would happen in all gears. since you say its only happening in 2nd and 3rd then i think i could be the synco. Honda trannies are really good. Other then their syncos they go out all the time. I have seen first hand 3 honda cars with bad 2nd to 3rd synco. try running your car to red line and shift from 2nd to 3rd and see if it grinds.
Old 12-23-2003, 01:27 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (doubler)

i know for sure its not my syncros becuase if its my syncro's it'll grind when i swtich gears, and it doesnt. Maybe i'm just paranoid and nothings wrong with my tranni? I might just get a tranny fluid change and see if it's still there.
*crosses fingers*
Old 12-23-2003, 04:15 AM

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by 1998_4dr_gsr &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">I'm still riding on stock clutch, 98 GSR with 133k miles. </TD></TR></TABLE>

Does anyone else think this may have something to do with his problem? From my understanding Honda transmissions aren't too driver friendly after you crest the 100k mile marker and usually begin to make the noises he is describing.

My throw out bearing did not sound like this. It is more of a cricket chirp when you are pulling away in 1st gear or shifting slowly into 2nd gear. I fixed the problem by buying some thick grease and applied a liberal amount to the throw out bearing area.

Have you noticed any of the gears slipping/over revving under normal operation?
Old 12-23-2003, 02:32 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Throw out bearing or Tranny bearing? Need some help (Xymox)

I know what your trying to imply, but i dont think my clutch if failing yet. Yes, it has lots of miles for a stock clutch and even the techie from AAMCO never saw a car with that many miles on a stock clutch. He said the most he ever saw on a stock clutch was 125k'ish. He was quite amazed that the clutch is still so firm and grips so handily. The clutch does not slip at this time, although it might need replacing soon but no signs of it as of now besides its "due". Thanks for the replies and other suggestions are greatly appreciated.
Old 12-23-2003, 02:47 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Same thing happened to me. Ive been told time and time again by transmission rebuild shops and honda professionals that its the input shaft bearing. Im going to get an LSD, clutch and replace all the bearings i can when i crack it open.
Old 12-23-2003, 06:28 PM
Honda-Tech Member

So, your going to rebuild the tranny yourself? If so,do you have any previous experience? It's a pretty time consuming job and requires lots of tools. I wanna try to pull the tranny out myself also but i dont have the resources.
Old 12-23-2003, 08:12 PM
Honda-Tech Member

when i first got my car it would make a strange grinding noise when the clutch was engaged (pedal out) and it would go away when the clutch pedal was pressed (disengaged).. i was sure it had to be the TB but i had the tech at acura look at it and they eventually had to rebuild the tranny b/c the bearings were shot (under warranty )

about rebuilding it yourself.. many have said its not that hard. take a look at the helms it will give you an idea as to what youre getting into
Old 12-23-2003, 09:12 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (fiebru1119)

Good stuff, having Acura rebuild your tranny is nice. Unfortunately for me, my car's not under warrenty no more. And this bearing's stuff seems to be REAL popular among honda/acura transmissions. I owned 2 honda's before my GSR, a 88 lude SI and a EG. My old lude's tranny had bad syncros after awhile, my EG had throwout bearing problems as well as internal tranni bearings problem. I swapped the d15b7 tranny for a Z6 tranni. The Z6 tranny worked out for a long time then eventually i sold my EG. Now my gsr tranni seems to be going through the same thing my previous trannies went through
Old 12-25-2003, 08:24 PM

it really not that hard to pull a tranny. I believe i can get that bearing for 30.00. If you want you can pull the tranny out and i'll rebuild it for you. I think its really hard to pull the tranny out without a lift. took me 1 hour with lift and 3 with out.
Old 12-25-2003, 11:57 PM
Honda-Tech Member

*thumbs up* Thanks, i'll replace the transmission fluid this weekend with honda genuine transmission fluid and see if its still there. Although the noise is REAL minimal, i'm just paranoid.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Throw out bearing or Tranny bearing? Need some help