Notices
Acura Integra All Integra Except ITR

Theft attempt on my GSR last night - how much for a new ignition? (san jose west)

Search this Thread

Old 12-01-2005, 05:17 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Theft attempt on my GSR last night - how much for a new ignition? (san jose west)

<FONT SIZE="4">EDIT: PART TWO: https://honda-tech.com/zerothread?id=1452663 </FONT>

They broke into my car and totally f'ed up the ignition. But they didn’t get her to start so they just took my alpine deck and left.

My mechanic told me that the only reason they weren't able to get the car to start was that my car is a 2000 and they changed the ignition on tegs that year and made it harder to steal. The worst part is that I ordered a Viper 791xv (top of the line alarm with pager) and was planning on having it installed next Monday!

So my question is, how much should it cost for a new ignition + installation?

Modified by pr0phet at 2:43 AM 12/4/2005
Old 12-01-2005, 05:19 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: Theft attempt on my GSR last night - how much for a new ignition? (pr0phet)

Call up Len and get a quote and put that sucker in yourself if you are good with that kinda stuff!
Old 12-01-2005, 05:55 PM

Default Re: Theft attempt on my GSR last night - how much for a new ignition? (redGSRguy)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by redGSRguy &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">if you are good with that kinda stuff!</TD></TR></TABLE>

not.. really have no experience with that kind of stuff
Old 12-01-2005, 07:39 PM
I serve phở for my babies

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: Theft attempt on my GSR last night - how much for a new ignition? (pr0phet)

you should get an ignition from a totally different car.. say new civics or so.. and i heard accord ignitions were harder tap.. not anything wrong with 1 key opening ur doors, and another doing your ignition!

and i wander if u could stick the new school civic ignitions in.. would that workk.?
Old 12-01-2005, 09:17 PM

Default Re: Theft attempt on my GSR last night - how much for a new ignition? (ohsnapzafingcu)

how much should install cost though?
Old 12-01-2005, 09:23 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Man, another theft/attempt near where I am located, hmm...

Sorry to hear but good to hear that your Integra is still around.
Old 12-01-2005, 10:20 PM

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by pr0phet &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">how much should install cost though?</TD></TR></TABLE>

that really depends on several things. 1: who you have do the work ( mechanic or yourself ) 2: if you bring it to a mechanic,....how much do they charge per hour? Or...will they just charge you a flat rate? 3: did you have the mechanic buy the part....or did you buy the part ( because some mechanics I've known.....throw the cost of parts and installation as one charge )
Old 12-01-2005, 11:44 PM

Location: flatlandz CA 7o7 But Now In Phoenix AZ, AZ and CA, usa

help out a fellow bay area homie, i didnt know jack bout the ignition but i got the manual and it was pretty easy good to save on money$.. go down to autozone ,kragen etc. get the acura book and its pretty easy from there on and if this is the 1st time you switch the ignition from that car you might have to drill out the old bolts holding the lock together and my ignition from the acura dealship ran me about 230-245 something like that new keys and evrything but keep your old ones 2
Old 12-02-2005, 04:23 AM

i jsut had one replaced on my girlfriends focus costed about 200bux even. Just call up your local locksmith...
Old 12-02-2005, 04:43 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Could be wrong but I think my friend might have one that'll fit, send an IM to 2gturboteg, like I said I think he has one but maybe not, if he does I'm sure he'll make you a good deal he's a really good guy.
Old 12-02-2005, 06:38 AM
Honda-Tech Member

YOu got a big deductible don't you? I would say go to the dealership and get what you need.

As to the alarm install, PM suspendedHatch; he seems to be good.
Old 12-02-2005, 07:00 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (MoonScryer)

this makes me want to change mine now... I want to make it harder for theives cause My car is gonna be parked on the street.. the new ignitioon dosent sound bad... I have a 96... so I was thinking of a fuel cut off??????????? what do you guys think
Old 12-02-2005, 08:06 AM

Mine got stolen, when they stole it, they messed up the ignition pretty bad. I just got a used ignition switch from a junkyard, took it to a locksmith and then put it im myself, all in all it cost me about 100 bux and maybe an hours worth of my time. Once you take the covers off the steering colum it is pretty straight forward.
Old 12-02-2005, 08:17 AM

Default Re: (9t4fodo)

i got mine broken twice. one was 50 the other was 65$ at junkyards i put it in myself its two screws and 1 bolt and the harness clips in the fuse box. it litterally should not take more than 20mins to install it urself with only a phillips screwdriver.
Old 12-02-2005, 10:01 AM
Honda-Tech Member

the guys who stole my car didn't expletive up my ignition... instead, they cracked the ignition off the steering column and unscrewed the back off of the ignition tumbler...

so on a side note, anybody know how the steering column works with the steering lock? you know how when you pull your key out and turn the steering wheel, it locks into a position until you turn put the key back in the ignition and turn?

My steering wheel lock hasn't worked since welding the steering column back together I was thinking about just getting a new steering column...
Old 12-02-2005, 10:37 AM

Default Re: (B U N M A N G O)

I thought the steering lock was a part of the ignition
Old 12-02-2005, 10:45 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Incidentally I think the guy I was telling you about has the whole steering column if you're interested. As for the fuel cut off you could do that or you could do what I did, put in a switch so you can kill the power to the ECU. No power to the computer it ain't going anywhere unless they tow it.
Old 12-02-2005, 11:14 AM

Default Re: (M Coop)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by M Coop &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Incidentally I think the guy I was telling you about has the whole steering column if you're interested. As for the fuel cut off you could do that or you could do what I did, put in a switch so you can kill the power to the ECU. No power to the computer it ain't going anywhere unless they tow it. </TD></TR></TABLE>

he has a whole steering column from a 2000?
Old 12-02-2005, 04:45 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (pr0phet)

I'm not sure if it's a 99 or 2000 but I think it would work either way right? Just IM 2gturboteg and ask him. I just know I saw one sitting in his garage and I'm pretty certain it came from a 99 GSR. Good luck bro and like I said I'd do the ECU kill switch, if you pull the fuze under the hood for the ECU you'll get a pretty good idea of how hard it would be to start the car with an interrupter switch in line, you could hide it under the dash or something like that.
Old 12-02-2005, 06:27 PM
Honda-Tech Member

sorry to here man, Over here in Maryland 6 hondas got stolen in 3 days with in 5 miles of my house. Damn theives. but mine stays in the garage
Old 12-03-2005, 10:49 PM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by B U N M A N G O &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">the guys who stole my car didn't expletive up my ignition... instead, they cracked the ignition off the steering column and unscrewed the back off of the ignition tumbler...

so on a side note, anybody know how the steering column works with the steering lock? you know how when you pull your key out and turn the steering wheel, it locks into a position until you turn put the key back in the ignition and turn?

My steering wheel lock hasn't worked since welding the steering column back together I was thinking about just getting a new steering column...</TD></TR></TABLE>

its when we welded the assembly back together, i accidentally welded the little shaft that comes out in place, so it sticks a little, if we break it again and reweld it, it will work. its not broken, its just stuck
Old 12-04-2005, 12:28 AM
Imperious: Mod of Valor

Default Re: Theft attempt on my GSR last night - how much for a new ignition? (ohsnapzafingcu)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by ohsnapzafingcu &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">you should get an ignition from a totally different car.. say new civics or so.. and i heard accord ignitions were harder tap.. not anything wrong with 1 key opening ur doors, and another doing your ignition!

and i wander if u could stick the new school civic ignitions in.. would that workk.?</TD></TR></TABLE>

I'm curious to know if this would work also.
Old 12-04-2005, 12:44 AM
ITB

just use an autolock there's only way to break it but I aint gonna say.. all I'm gonna say is that autolock+club+alarm is a good enough combo. if they willing to go through those 3 things then you're pretty much fuckd no matter what you got(ie if you got an ITR and your car is on the chop shop hit list)
Old 12-04-2005, 10:40 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (ITB)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by ITB &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">just use an autolock there's only way to break it but I aint gonna say.. all I'm gonna say is that autolock+club+alarm is a good enough combo. if they willing to go through those 3 things then you're pretty much fuckd no matter what you got(ie if you got an ITR and your car is on the chop shop hit list)</TD></TR></TABLE>