Acura Integra All Integra Except ITR

Synthetic oil?

Search this Thread

Old 03-20-2012, 05:38 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Re: Synthetic oil?

Originally Posted by racebum
so better cold flow, not creating sludge deposits and higher heat resistance aren't needed?

in a street car most of your wear is caused on start up. cold flow is a big deal

secondly, you ever tear apart a blown up motor that's been on syn its whole life vs one on dino oil? they look night and day inside
i still stand by what i said, conventional has gone A LONG LONG WAY. Many conventional has the same properties of synthetics such as good pour point, plenty of detergents to prevent sludge, and can withstand high temp. GSR engines are not sludgers and dont operate at temperature where synthetic is necessary.

I use to be like you, thinking synthetic will make your engine last longer, but nope it wont. Ive seen so many oil analysis that shows conventional wear numbers at the level of synthetics and even lower in some cases. Its mostly marketing...oil companies make the most moeny off their synthetics, not conventional oils.
Old 03-20-2012, 05:56 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by copy
The recommendations for high performance engines that are using synthetic oil filled from the factory require the oil level not to fall below 1 quart from being completely full. I have seen dodge cars that ran with one quart of oil without destroying the engine although I definitely do not recommend that.

There may be some kind of sandwiched metal for the rings that overcome the limitation of synthetic oils for break-in ( just a guess ). Without working in the factory I will never know because its probably a trade secret issue.

But if I bought a car that came factory filled with synthetic oil I would definitely be okay with that because its their product and they should know whats best. If you design an engine that was made to use synthetic rather than dino oil, is a lot different than taking an engine that was made for dino oils and using synthetic.
I'm not sure how the 1 quart from full to empty makes any difference whether synthetic is required. On Integras, there is a 1 quart difference between the top and bottom marks on the dip stick.
Old 03-21-2012, 09:45 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by vladd
I'm not sure how the 1 quart from full to empty makes any difference whether synthetic is required. On Integras, there is a 1 quart difference between the top and bottom marks on the dip stick.
Hi,
What I was alluding to was that with some high performance engines that come factory filled with synthetics, that there are warranty issues if you drive more than a quart low.
For instance if you drive a Mercedes while under warranty, have a problem with the engine, take it back to the dealer, and he see's its more than one quart low, your warranty may not cover the damage.

My point with the dodge was that when using dino oil in old dodges is that it was possible to drive it with one quart of dino oil without damaging the engine. So dino oil must be some awesome stuff.
I know this is off the subject but that was the only thing I liked about dodge, was their engine. The engines were indestructible. I have no doubt that the old dodge slant 6 will see the dinosaurs come back.

I really cant afford a high performance car that comes with a synth oil package, so I have no idea how the legal warranty entails.
Maybe someone could enlighten me ?

My biggest point was that if the oil level is so critical on vehicles that are sold with synthetics then that oil is just barely able to fill the requirement.
I am not saying a dino would be better or even work as well.
What I am saying is that the HPE that comes factory filled with synthetics was designed for synthetics and not dino. So in that situation you are stuck with synthetics less you ruin your engine.
Old 03-22-2012, 08:25 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by racebum
so better cold flow, not creating sludge deposits and higher heat resistance aren't needed?

in a street car most of your wear is caused on start up. cold flow is a big deal

secondly, you ever tear apart a blown up motor that's been on syn its whole life vs one on dino oil? they look night and day inside
lol dino oil?! i love it! that is exactly what i call it. you understand exactly what im saying. i think trusting an "analysis" or "lab testing" is a bunch of bs. i have seen with my own two eyes the difference between synthetics and conventional on a motors internals. the simple fact that there is no carbon build up what so ever is enough itself to tell me that its better. although your car may not "need" synthetic, that doesnt mean it wont benefit from using it. when i spin my motor to 8000 rpms to smoke a POS tiburon gt with some jersey shore looking tool behind the wheel and his girlfriend in the passenger seat, i like to think that i have the best oil lubricating those parts that are moving so fast
Old 03-22-2012, 08:52 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

eh. TBH, i've never been an "oil guy". i know the basics, and that's enough. really don't know why people get so pumped talking about this ****.

i have blu synthetic (one of the only true synthetics still available) on pump at my shop. that's the only reason i use it. but i could care less if it were brand x. i keep it clean and change it regularly. personally, i think as long as you do that, you're fine.
well, y'all may not be. but i am
Old 03-23-2012, 07:48 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by redline870
lol dino oil?! i love it! that is exactly what i call it. you understand exactly what im saying. i think trusting an "analysis" or "lab testing" is a bunch of bs. i have seen with my own two eyes the difference between synthetics and conventional on a motors internals. the simple fact that there is no carbon build up what so ever is enough itself to tell me that its better. although your car may not "need" synthetic, that doesnt mean it wont benefit from using it. when i spin my motor to 8000 rpms to smoke a POS tiburon gt with some jersey shore looking tool behind the wheel and his girlfriend in the passenger seat, i like to think that i have the best oil lubricating those parts that are moving so fast
I noticed you said and i quote" secondly, you ever tear apart a blown up motor that's been on syn"
Why is your engine blowing up if the synthetic oil is doing such a good job ?
If its not the synthetic oil responsible , then what is ?
I've done elevens on the track and i don't trailer back and forth.
Old 03-23-2012, 12:47 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Yea, but not to mention the deposits occur when conventional has been used longer than recommended. The sludge takes effect at that point and creates a bond(carbon) that literally holds the engine together. Only thing is if u tried to do an engineflush the conditioners in it would begin to remove deep carbon deposits, that could be potentially holding your piece of crap engine together, thus making the motor fall apart, same type of effect for swithing to synthetic in an ancient vehicle.
Old 03-23-2012, 07:48 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I noticed you said and i quote" secondly, you ever tear apart a blown up motor that's been on syn"
there are a multitude of issues to cause engine failure that are not caused by oil.
this is why i don't understand where people get this false aspiration that using a "higher grade" oil will magically make there engine run better. it doesn't. keep it clean. change it regularly. that's all that's required to keep your engine running fine..in that department

Originally Posted by skipper28-DC
Yea, but not to mention the deposits occur when conventional has been used longer than recommended. The sludge takes effect at that point and creates a bond(carbon) that literally holds the engine together. Only thing is if u tried to do an engineflush the conditioners in it would begin to remove deep carbon deposits, that could be potentially holding your piece of crap engine together, thus making the motor fall apart, same type of effect for swithing to synthetic in an ancient vehicle.
what in the hell are you talking about? creates a carbon bond? are you kidding? please explain where in the engine this takes place.
oil is used for 3 reasons;
-to lubricate
-to cool
-to remove carbons and hydrocarbons through means of emulsification.
and no, that doesn't mean that not changing it is going to create "carbon bonds" which "hold your engine together". it means not changing it will increase wear. that's all
Old 03-23-2012, 08:34 PM
Honda-Tech Member

haha i knew someone was gonna make somethin of that sentence and argue that if synthetic was so good then why did it blow up lol? good call on that one cuz i knew someone was gonna catch that but it blew up cuz we went into a turn going over 100 which was entirely too fast for this specific corner. so he was trying panicing trying his hardest to slow the car down without losing it and he downshifted in to 3rd revving the engine to approx 12000 rpms. and this was a d17 from a civic lx mind you, after the turn every time he hit the gas it was knocking terribly so I took it apart and found a spun bearing. is that a good enough reson for you *** hole?! lol jk
Old 03-24-2012, 06:34 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by redline870
haha i knew someone was gonna make somethin of that sentence and argue that if synthetic was so good then why did it blow up lol? good call on that one cuz i knew someone was gonna catch that but it blew up cuz we went into a turn going over 100 which was entirely too fast for this specific corner. so he was trying panicing trying his hardest to slow the car down without losing it and he downshifted in to 3rd revving the engine to approx 12000 rpms. and this was a d17 from a civic lx mind you, after the turn every time he hit the gas it was knocking terribly so I took it apart and found a spun bearing. is that a good enough reson for you *** hole?! lol jk
1. You sorta shot yourself in the foot with this one. What you are telling me is that poor driving skills is what caused the engine failure. I guess I should have included in my post that running the car head on into a jersey barrier could also cause engine problems too, huh?
2. You spelled the word "reason" wrong. Please have someone you trust to show you how to use a spell checker.
3. Use of profanity is a sign of desperation when you can not make an intelligent argument.
Old 03-24-2012, 08:23 AM
Honda-Tech Member

if you turn too fast it will starve the oil pickup in the oil pan because of gravity. thats why they make baffles for the pan.