Notices
Acura Integra All Integra Except ITR

Stock Airbox w/ K&N filter vs. Akimoto Short/underhood intake

Search this Thread

Old 05-04-2002, 10:48 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Stock Airbox w/ K&N filter vs. Akimoto Short/underhood intake

I want to quiet my car down a bit AND was also wondering which would give me better performance....putting back my stock airbox, a put a K&N filter and running tubing to get colder air from the fenderwell to the opening under my stock airbox and clamp it? or keeping the Akimoto short stack intake which is installed now... this is for my beater so I don't want to go out and buy a new cold air intake or whatever... anyway I was thinking of taking out the Akimoto Racing Sports (yes I kno its old schoo brand/product.. i got it in mid 90's before AEM came out w/ the CAI) short stack/underhood intake since 1) its pretty loud when I'm on the throttle 2) its probably not doing much good sucking in the hot engine bay air...

I've taken out the stock resonator and run tubing that goes from the front mouth to the bottom of the Akimoto intakes filter.. but its still exposed to the hot engine temps... so what would give me better performance.. just keeping things like it is w/ the Akimoto intake installed? or putting back my stock air box and having a K&N filter enclosed in it, and running tubing from the bottom of the stock air box to the fenderwell? will this also make my car a bit quieter (hopefully)? or will it still be loud because the resonator is removed... I also have a DC Sports header and Greddy Evo cat back exhaust on this car.. I also plan to paint the muffler canister portion flat black so its not as noticeable to cops....

anyway I just wanted to see you guys input before I do anything.. thanks in advance for your input/replies...

[Modified by GSRaCeRbOI, 11:49 AM 5/4/2002]
Old 05-04-2002, 12:06 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Stock Airbox w/ K&N filter vs. Akimoto Short/underhood intake (GSRaCeRbOI)

put your stock intake on and run tubing from it to get cold air. since the filter is enclosed, it will be much quieter. i drove around w/o resonator and it was pretty loud, but when i put in some piping it got much quieter. faster too
Old 05-04-2002, 01:50 PM

Default Re: Stock Airbox w/ K&N filter vs. Akimoto Short/underhood intake (GSRaCeRbOI)

bsq bsq bsq bsq bsq bsq... and try to get the bigger k&n
Old 05-04-2002, 02:02 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: Stock Airbox w/ K&N filter vs. Akimoto Short/underhood intake (tonydatyga)

Stock box w/K&N (rig a cold air if you can).

That RS akimoto crap will lose Hp
Old 05-04-2002, 02:03 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 52 Likes on 46 Posts
Default Re: Stock Airbox w/ K&N filter vs. Akimoto Short/underhood intake (tonydatyga)

use the K&N RU-2820, it's the exact same size and shape as stock once you get it clamped to the stock filter neck and attach the plastic end piece onto it.
Old 05-04-2002, 02:38 PM

Default Re: Stock Airbox w/ K&N filter vs. Akimoto Short/underhood intake (PatrickGSR94)

thanks for your replies every1... im going to have to clean my stock air box and buy the K&N filter since its been out of the car since 1996 and sitting in my garage...

X2board: yes I know the akimoto hot air sux.. thats why Im taking it out.. back when i bought the akimoto short ram the AEM (or any of the other cold airs like AEM CAI, Iceman, Injen, etc wasnt out yet)...

aight well imma put back the stock airbox and run some piping to the bottom of the air box into the fenderwell (resonator is already removed) so i can draw some cold air into the enclosed stock box.. thanks every1