Notices
Acura Integra All Integra Except ITR

Shock piston moving around in top hat. Knoi yellows

Search this Thread

Old 07-10-2015, 07:08 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts
Default Shock piston moving around in top hat. Knoi yellows

Car came with koni yellows and tein s-tech I would like to keep the yellows and pair them with some GC's. But one of the struts has the piston pushing up and down inside the top hat when I go over a bump. Any ideas? it's the right rear all the others are fine, it makes a metallic clinking noise and you can see the adjustment **** portion moving as if the whole piston wants to come through the top hat.
Old 07-11-2015, 11:20 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 272 Likes on 260 Posts
Default Re: Shock piston moving around in top hat. Knoi yellows

Originally Posted by B_Swapped93
Car came with koni yellows and tein s-tech I would like to keep the yellows and pair them with some GC's. But one of the struts has the piston pushing up and down inside the top hat when I go over a bump. Any ideas? it's the right rear all the others are fine, it makes a metallic clinking noise and you can see the adjustment **** portion moving as if the whole piston wants to come through the top hat.
Might be the washer thats stripped, happened to me once, replaced the washer and it was ok.

Old 07-11-2015, 02:28 PM
Honda-Tech Member

what washer? your pic is basically what's happening to me except the beginning lol, they look pretty new but the guy said he sapped them with s-techs over skunk2 ones. I assume he damaged something, I cant really see what holds in in really.
Old 07-11-2015, 03:06 PM
Honda-Tech Member

You have to take it apart and you will see a washer that prevents the rod from pushing out all the way, sounds confusing but you have to inspect it and find the stripped washer. Mine had the center of the washer worn out and the rod pushed through.
Old 07-11-2015, 03:11 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Mine was # 2 in this pic,

Or #8 in this pic i believe but you get the idea,

Old 07-11-2015, 03:18 PM
Honda-Tech Member

ohh ok so a non threaded washer, I get the idea now guessthe piston just forced it's way though the washer.
Old 07-12-2015, 01:29 AM
Fish Twig

Received 309 Likes on 285 Posts

Never heard of a thread washer...Just a thick *** washer that sits on top of the bump stop.
Old 07-16-2015, 07:05 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ohh ok so a non threaded washer, I get the idea now guessthe piston just forced it's way though the washer.
A shock shaft cant extend past its preset length. Washers on the strut assembly dont typically bust off because they are seated real snug under the top hat after assembly. Did you remove the strut from the car to clean it or anything? Maybe you forgot a washer when reassembling the car? That or the previous owner used a weak grade washer and it finally broke off and disappeared. If thats the case, you shouldve had a bunch of dents on the underside of the hood from the shaft hitting.
Old 07-16-2015, 01:56 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Thats pretty much what happened to me, i had no known history on the suspension when i bought the shell and after a few months the shaft popped out and pushed a nice dent in my hood, I took it apart and found the washer's center hole got stripped and the rod pushed through, used a thicker washer and it was fine for a few months until i upgraded the suspension.
Old 07-16-2015, 02:50 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by EnjoyTheRideDC2
A shock shaft cant extend past its preset length. Washers on the strut assembly dont typically bust off because they are seated real snug under the top hat after assembly. Did you remove the strut from the car to clean it or anything? Maybe you forgot a washer when reassembling the car? That or the previous owner used a weak grade washer and it finally broke off and disappeared. If thats the case, you shouldve had a bunch of dents on the underside of the hood from the shaft hitting.

No I just got the car its the right rear, all that happens is over bumps it rattles and I see the top where you fit the adjustment **** on wiggle. he mentioned swapping springs so I assume that's where it went wrong.
Old 07-16-2015, 10:08 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

No I just got the car its the right rear, all that happens is over bumps it rattles and I see the top where you fit the adjustment **** on wiggle. he mentioned swapping springs so I assume that's where it went wrong.
Better take care of that soon. You're practically letting the spring absorb all the load on the right rear of your car.