Notices
Acura Integra All Integra Except ITR

Regular unleaded gas in GSR!! what should i do

Search this Thread

Old 01-09-2002, 10:48 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Regular unleaded gas in GSR!! what should i do

My brother accidentally put regular unleaded gas instead of the recommended premium unleaded gas as specified in the dash.

Can anything bad happen to my engine?
Should i siphon it out?
Old 01-09-2002, 10:50 AM
New User

Default Re: Regular unleaded gas in GSR!! what should i do (GatchamanGSR95)

oh my god no! your doomed...sorry.
j/k your car isn't going to blow up. just use up the gas and put premium in next time. accidents happen
Old 01-09-2002, 11:03 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: Regular unleaded gas in GSR!! what should i do (gsr squirrel)

you should be alright.. i let my friend borrow my car because he had an emergency and i had a 3 hour final exam to take anyway.. he promised he wouldnt crash it, scratch it, bend the rims or anything.. and promised to fuel it up to full for letting me borrow it.. anyway he put 87 octane (lowest grade in there) i think the computer might recognize and adjust.. but just use premium next time.. you should be ok.. i kept off the upper RPMS on the tank of 87.. dunno if it was necessary..
Old 01-09-2002, 11:17 AM
Honda-Tech Member

screw it, the jackass at the full service did the same thing. $5 goes way farther on 87 octane as opposed to 93. i just put some octane booster in there and floored it.

Gotta get the gas out somehow! The car didn't even feel different.
Old 01-09-2002, 11:23 AM

Default Re: Regular unleaded gas in GSR!! what should i do (jabroni95gsr)

I wouldn't use octane boost, some of that stuff burns O2 sensors. That would make a simple mistake into a multi hundred dollar snafu.

There could be some detonation, don't worry, your ecu will retard timing to compensate for the lower octane when the knock sensor detects detonation. If you are really paraniod just use up to like half a tank and top it off with 92 or 93 octane(that will average out to 90).

By the next tankfull you'll be fine.

[Modified by eh-D, 8:24 PM 1/9/2002]
Old 01-09-2002, 11:24 AM
Honda-Tech Member

We have gone over this so many times before.

87 octane is not going to HARM your car whatso ever.

IF the engine starts to knock because of detination the knock sensor will retard the timing of the car causing " slight performance loss". I you don't drive the car hard then you won't notice any difference.

Old 01-09-2002, 12:08 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default machaf

87 octane is not going to HARM your car whatso ever.
What he said. 87 octane gasoline will not harm your car. Just don't push the car hard, use up the tank of 87, and you will be fine. Like it was also mentioned before, the computer will compensate for the gasoline and adjust the timing appropriately. In fact, I just got an issue of Style (Acura magazine?) and the same question was posed by a concerned integra driver. They stated the same exact thing that I just mentioned. You will be all right. Be careful with Octane Boosters though. Like also mentioned before, it could affect sensors on your car.

Side note: To those that got mad at this thread. Why? The guy asked a simple question. Sure it might be a question that is asked just about every other day, but so what. This is a tech board on the internet, right? Why get mad at somebody that asks a simple question. If you get mad at questions that are reposted over and over again, don't reply. Simple, right? Why not just answer the question politely, and let your post rating increase. I guess some people get to personal over simple things.