Acura Integra All Integra Except ITR

Exedy Stage 1 vs OEM clutch

Search this Thread

Old 12-18-2007, 06:35 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Exedy Stage 1 vs OEM clutch

Hello,

I might need to get my clutch replaced soon. I wanted to ask those of you who have the Exedy Stage 1 clutch on a G3 Integra how it feels compared to the stock one. I don't have any engine mods on my car, and I'm pretty happy with the nice and light pedal feel of stock. I've also heard that the springs on the stock GSR clutch sometimes fall out, and I was wondering if the Exedy OEM clutch or Stage 1 were somehow better about that.
Old 12-18-2007, 09:31 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Re: Exedy Stage 1 vs OEM clutch (beanbag)

The Exedy stage 1 has a stronger pressure plate than OEM and is a bit harder to press. Other than that, it works well in stock applications and provides a bit more grab than OEM.
Old 12-18-2007, 10:44 AM
Man U FTW

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

It would be noticeably different, but not really in a bad way. I think going w/ the Exedy would be a good choice. I have an Exedy 2 in my GSR and i'm very pleased with the pedal feel and the amount of power it can hold. The Exedy may have a bit more bite than a straight OEM clutch, but with a little time, you will get used to it.
Old 12-18-2007, 10:57 AM
* B A N N E D *

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have the stage one from competition clutch. The feel is almost the identical but a little different. Takes a little while to get use to but easy to push in and hold really well. It has been on for more then a year and no problems.

While you are at it, you should look into a fidanza light weight flywheel. I felt a pretty big difference in the pull of the car after the install. I got the clutch and flywheel and install done for $900.
Old 12-18-2007, 12:56 PM

Even the exedy OEM replacement has more pressure than the stock clutch. Its supposed to copy the OEM ITR clutch specs. Pedal feel is just like stock. I think i paid $130 shipped for my Exedy OEM replacement from the sponsor ImportRP. I agree with the flywheel upgrade as well. At least an ITR flywheel.
Old 12-18-2007, 12:59 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 52 Likes on 46 Posts
Default Re: (.xcalibur.)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by .xcalibur. &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Even the exedy OEM replacement has more pressure than the stock clutch. Its supposed to copy the OEM ITR clutch specs. Pedal feel is just like stock. I think i paid $130 shipped for my Exedy OEM replacement from the sponsor ImportRP. I agree with the flywheel upgrade as well. At least an ITR flywheel.</TD></TR></TABLE>

Dang only $130? Is there a link to it here on H-T?

My Clutchmasters Stage 1 has 130K miles on it now and I'll be replacing it soon, and I was looking for something cheaper since it's a DD only and I can't bring myself to buy a cheap AutoZone clutch.

I'll also have to buy a new steel friction surface for my CM flywheel which is over $100 itself.
Old 12-18-2007, 01:16 PM
Honda-Tech Member

So the Exedy OEM is like a stage 0.5? I looked at importrp's web site and there were these two clutches:

1994-99 Acura Integra 1.8 L4 B18C1
Part number: KHC05

1997-98 Acura Integra 1.8 L4 B18C5 Type R
Part number: KHC13

So the one you're talking about is the KHC05?
I'm also planning to get an ITR flywheel. I believe everything should fit in my GSR just fine with the KHC05 kit?
Old 12-18-2007, 01:57 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (beanbag)

i've been running the exedy stage 1 organic for about 3-4 months now (96 DC2). pedal pressure is "stock" like. after a while you get used to it and forget about it.

for the record i installed the exedy 9.5 lb flywheel at the same time. highly recommended.
Old 12-18-2007, 02:41 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (suzawa94)

I used a exedy stage 1 for almost 2 years on my dd gsr and beat the **** out of it. It finally broke, and I mean exploded the clutch plate, after about 30,000 miles. Couldn't believe it lasted that long. It felt like almost stock pedal pressure. I only wish the clutchmasters stage 2 clutch I bought lasted as long as the exedy. I bought that one and broke it in just like it said. Resurfaced the spoon flywheel to spec and had the clutch and flywheel neutral balanced and didn't get any grease on it or anything when it was installed. Got 1200 miles out of it. About 10 passes on it and it slipped bad. Called clutchmasters and all they wanna do is blame it on me. Cost me about 550 and another 100 for the balancing and resurface. Should of got the exedy stage 2!!!! Anyone else have this problem? They even tried to tell me it was my flywheel and I should of used their flywheel.
Old 12-19-2007, 08:13 PM

Default Re: (vshavoc)

Patrick, here' the link to the ITR replacement
http://www.importrp.com/produc...age=1

And this one is for the GSR replacement
http://www.importrp.com/produc...age=1

Beanbag, to answer your question: I guess you can call it a stage 0.5 if you want to. If you look at the part numbers for the pressure plate (labeled cover) in both links i provided, you can see they are identical. The difference is the diameter of the disc. I did go with the GSR replacement and installed it on an ITR flywheel. NO problems here. Break in period was smooth and this clutch is good enough to hold slightly more power than what an ITR can put out.
I forgot where i found the specs on the pressure plate, but im sure that it was more than the OEM ITR.
Old 12-28-2007, 11:47 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Update:

I got an Exedy OEM clutch kit installed with new ACT StreetLite Flywheel. Comments:

The pedal feel is even softer than my original clutch. WTF. Is that normal?

The engagement point is also higher than my original clutch, even when it was nearly worn down. Right now, the engagement point is only about an inch from the top of the pedal position. Is this also normal? I don't think there is anything that I can adjust, except that pushrod on the master cylinder, but that will only lower the pedal. I'm worried that either something was installed wrong, or the throwout bearing is under constant pressure, or that the clutch won't have enough engagement force when it wears down in the future. At least it's not slipping right now.

The flywheel does feel a little bit lighter than stock, but the effect is small. I forgot that the weight of the pressure plate un-does some of the weight difference. Maybe I should I gotten an even lighter flywheel. I don't know yet, since I'm still trying to get a feel for this clutch's weird engagement point.

Overall, I would be totally happy with this setup if the engagement point were lower.
If not for this issue, I would be happy to have saved about $130 over the price of a Stage 1 clutch.
Old 12-28-2007, 11:52 PM
Honda-Tech Member

ok so what your saying is you really wanted a clutch that when you barley let go of the pedal it will grab, right? if so you need a stage 2 or 3, i have a stage 3 clutch is my gsr teg and i barley let go of pedal and it grabs already and i mean grabs, kinda sucks for daily driver, but damn does it grab and i can peel out even in 4th gear!!!
Old 12-29-2007, 01:23 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Exedy Stage 1 vs OEM clutch (DOHCgarage919)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by DOHCgarage919 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">ok so what your saying is you really wanted a clutch that when you barley let go of the pedal it will grab, right?</TD></TR></TABLE>

I don't mean that I want the engagement range to be narrow, like on a high performance clutch. I meant that I want it to still have a wide engagement range, but grab starting lower on the pedal travel.
Old 12-29-2007, 02:41 AM
Honda-Tech Member

The Exedy stage 1 clutch is an OEM replacement clutch. Most Stage 1 clutch kits from most MFG's are OEM replacements.

We have seen different pedal engagements with different clutch kits. This is based on the pressure plate height from the friction surface to the mounting surface and based on the disk thickness.

You can adjust the pedal from the push rod under the dash in order to have the pedal engage sooner, but it can only be adjusted so much.

Please keep us informed on how the clutch feels and if we can do anything to help you out please feel free to bring the car back in so we can make sure it is engaging properly!

I sent you a PM aswell

Old 12-29-2007, 10:12 AM

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by beanbag &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Update:

I got an Exedy OEM clutch kit installed with new ACT StreetLite Flywheel. Comments:

The pedal feel is even softer than my original clutch. WTF. Is that normal?

The engagement point is also higher than my original clutch, even when it was nearly worn down. Right now, the engagement point is only about an inch from the top of the pedal position. Is this also normal? I don't think there is anything that I can adjust, except that pushrod on the master cylinder, but that will only lower the pedal. I'm worried that either something was installed wrong, or the throwout bearing is under constant pressure, or that the clutch won't have enough engagement force when it wears down in the future. At least it's not slipping right now.

The flywheel does feel a little bit lighter than stock, but the effect is small. I forgot that the weight of the pressure plate un-does some of the weight difference. Maybe I should I gotten an even lighter flywheel. I don't know yet, since I'm still trying to get a feel for this clutch's weird engagement point.

Overall, I would be totally happy with this setup if the engagement point were lower.
If not for this issue, I would be happy to have saved about $130 over the price of a Stage 1 clutch.</TD></TR></TABLE>

did you flush out the old dot 3/dot 4 fluid and replace it with new? i know i didn't feel a huge difference until i put new fluid in.
Old 12-29-2007, 10:19 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Exedy Stage 1 vs OEM clutch (caba004)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by caba004 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

did you flush out the old dot 3/dot 4 fluid and replace it with new? i know i didn't feel a huge difference until i put new fluid in.</TD></TR></TABLE>

you don't have to replace clutch fluid when replacing the clutch.
Old 12-29-2007, 11:36 AM

You dont have to replace the fluid. But i'd do it anyway. Flush out the old stuff and throw in some DOT 4. My Exedy OEM replacement has the stock engagement point. No surprises. It was a lil softer than the Stage 1 Clutchmasters I had in there before hand.
Old 12-29-2007, 11:40 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Exedy Stage 1 vs OEM clutch (vladd)

dont mean to steal this thread but this morning my clutch took a **** on me =/ its been kinda bad for a while because when i shift into a higher gear it lags for a few seconds and doesnt grab then it just kicks in like nothing happened and this morning i was making a u turn and wanted to make the light so i gunned it and the clutch just blew i guess like it feels like its not disengaging its still somewhat driveable but i just drove it home and left it i barely get any response from the throttle at all but the rpms go up my friend can get me a act stage 1 with a 10lb flywheel for 300$ i guess what im asking is is that a good clutch/price for my 92 da?
Old 12-29-2007, 11:46 AM

Why not look up how much an ACT stage 1 costs and go from there? Stage 1 is an upgrade from OEM. Look up how much power than clutch can hold and see it matches your power goals for the car.
Old 12-29-2007, 11:49 AM
Honda-Tech Member

yeah i should of i was just reading through this thread and just thought the questions could be easily answered by the people posting here but your right ill just go look for my answers elsewhere.
Old 12-29-2007, 05:20 PM
Honda-Tech Member

update: I lowered my clutch pedal by a bit by shortening the master cylinder pushrod. I'll see how that goes.

I also bled the clutch line, but didn't see any bubbles come out.

When I had the slave cylinder off to lube it, I noticed that there was a fair amount of wiggle on the clutch fork thing. Am I correct in assuming that this wiggle will decrease as the friction material wears out? Does this wiggle also mean that when the clutch in fully engaged, there is no extra force on the throwout bearing?

xcaliber: How high is your engagement point from the top of the pedal? Or let me put it this way, if you have the clutch engaged and floor the gas pedal, how much do you have to push down on the clutch pedal before it slips? For me, it feels like about 1 inch.
Old 12-29-2007, 08:14 PM
Honda-Tech Member

it is normal to have a little play in the fork, if there was no play then the throwout bearing would ride against the clutch plate with more pressure
Old 12-29-2007, 10:06 PM

Im not sure of an exact measurement, but it was just like stock. I would say about 3-4 inches. The first inch is just enough to completely push in the clutch switch.
Old 12-31-2007, 01:00 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (RedZone)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by RedZone &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">it is normal to have a little play in the fork, if there was no play then the throwout bearing would ride against the clutch plate with more pressure</TD></TR></TABLE>

How much is "a little play"? There's not much up-down motion, but I can wiggle it about a half inch or more towards the slave cylinder piston.
Old 12-31-2007, 01:33 AM
Honda-Tech Member

anywhere from 1/4 to 3/4 of an inch....so 1/2 is ok

Quick Reply: Exedy Stage 1 vs OEM clutch