Notices
Acura Integra All Integra Except ITR

Really loose steering

Search this Thread

Old 12-09-2014, 01:02 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Really loose steering

Hey guys...been a long time since posting in here but I am about at my whits-end with this car now and just really need some help before I end up crashing myself or someone else.

1995 Integra LS 210,xxx Miles

Car feels really loose on the highway...for example it feels as if the steering wheel is attached to nothing. It will also all of a sudden pull one way or the other..I will be driving straight in my lane and with no change or warning at all it will just try and pull me over into another lane. It doesnt feel like wants to stay in its lane like all it wants to do is wonder all over the place. I have jacked the car up several times, everything seems to be tight and cant a definite problem.

Here is what has been done so far:

New driver side inner and outer tie rod ends (Passengers side was still tight)
New driver side upper ball joint.
New passenger lower ball joint.
New passenger side lower control arm bushings.
Had the car realigned after all work was performed.

I dont know if this could be a bad rack and pinion, or could struts possibly do this? All I am trying to do is get a few more months out of this car and not trying to kill myself in doing so.
Old 12-09-2014, 01:52 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Re: Really loose steering

I have a manual steering civic and above a certain speed it just felt unsafe. I delt with a lot of bump steer. The wheels would wonder following the road. I could turn the steering wheel about 10* before it began turning the steering. Once I replaced the rack and pinion, it was a night and day difference
Old 12-10-2014, 12:34 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 22 Likes on 20 Posts

there is special tool from honda to adjust the rack, there is a thread on honda-tech somewhere about, you should check that out

people described similar symptoms and were able to correct it with an adjustment
Old 12-10-2014, 02:38 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I think I got the last one in existence from the dealership several years ago and it's a PIA even with it, at least in the front driveway. It ended up not helping me and I had to go with a new rack.
Old 12-10-2014, 03:56 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I own the tool as well and it helped to a degree but replacing rack solved the issues.
Old 12-12-2014, 06:40 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Thanks for all your input guys. Changed the rack last night and what a difference it made. Even only aligning it by eye just to make it driveable it's much much better. I didn't realize how much I was having to correct the steering at highway speeds until I drove it to work this morning and it stayed planted in its lane and didn't wanna go anywhere.

The job of changing the rack itself wasn't as bad either as people have made it sound. It is a big help however to take your inner tie rods off the rack first.