Notices
Acura Integra All Integra Except ITR

re-tuning gsr, which upgrade should I put in requiring tune?

Search this Thread

Old 03-17-2010, 03:06 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default re-tuning gsr, which upgrade should I put in requiring tune?

Moved from Dallas to Denver and started running like *** with the thinner air. Going to get it re-tuned here in Denver, and thinking I might as well put in something helpful that needs a tune to be of use anyway. Any recommendations? I already have I/H/E, Skunk2 IM.

Something a few hundred bucks (can't afford turbo) like larger fuel injectors? cams? don't really know where to start so any help would be awesome.
Old 03-17-2010, 03:22 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: re-tuning gsr, which upgrade should I put in requiring tune?

Cams and valvesprings gets my vote.
Old 03-17-2010, 04:03 PM
Honda-Tech Member

cam gears are cheap and very effective on GSR motors with stock cams.
Old 03-17-2010, 04:15 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by GagnarTheUnruly
Cams and valvesprings gets my vote.
I agree. Look towards OEM parts like if you have a GSR, Look for an ITR valve train set up. Or even CTR parts.
Old 03-17-2010, 04:24 PM
Honda-Tech Member

why not just go with an aftermarket set up if hes going to spend the money on building the gsr head, why spend all that money for only minimal gains
Old 03-17-2010, 06:04 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I think your missing the point, I probably forgot to add, he only has a few hundred dollars. I think OEM parts are cheaper(used) and rather buying a set of SK2 cams for 700.00.
Old 03-17-2010, 06:06 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Where are you planning on getting it tuned in Denver?
Old 03-17-2010, 08:36 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Not many places in Denver tune Neptune (what I'm currently tuned with), but I've found ImportSports and CorSport. If anyone knows a better spot i'm all ears!

I'll start looking at cam gears, sounds like that's the general recommendation for next step.
Old 03-18-2010, 07:03 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Cam gears are a total waste of money on OEM cams - don't even bother with those until you have stage 2 or 3 cams.

If you look around you can find new Blox A or B cams for $350 and new springs for $120. If you want SK2 or other brands, market value tends to be about $350 for used cams. I don't know if it's a good idea to get used valvesprings, but there's nothing wrong with getting used cams as long as there is no visible sign of damage to the cam.

If that's out of your price range, it might be a good idea to wait to tune until you can afford the cams.
Old 03-18-2010, 07:51 AM
Honda-Tech Member

yeah I might as well hold off a few months and save for the cams, cam gears, and springs. Is there a difference between Stage 2/3 and Type A/B? My gsr is a JDM swap if that makes any difference.
Old 03-18-2010, 07:53 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by GagnarTheUnruly
Cam gears are a total waste of money on OEM cams - don't even bother with those until you have stage 2 or 3 cams.

If you look around you can find new Blox A or B cams for $350 and new springs for $120. If you want SK2 or other brands, market value tends to be about $350 for used cams. I don't know if it's a good idea to get used valvesprings, but there's nothing wrong with getting used cams as long as there is no visible sign of damage to the cam.

If that's out of your price range, it might be a good idea to wait to tune until you can afford the cams.
Cam gears would do perfect what he is trying to acheive.....Stage 2 or 3 cams arent going to do much without adding compression in the bottom end....

I would buy cam gears and tune it..
Old 03-18-2010, 08:45 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by blackcracker
Cam gears would do perfect what he is trying to acheive.....Stage 2 or 3 cams arent going to do much without adding compression in the bottom end....

I would buy cam gears and tune it..
How can you say stg 2 or 3 cams arent going to do much??? sk2stg2's make mad power on the stock bottom...
Old 03-18-2010, 08:47 AM
Honda-Tech Member

also i was going to say, someone in the marketplace sells blox springs and retainers and cams as a total package for like 650. I see if i can find it for ya.
Old 03-18-2010, 09:58 AM
Honda-Tech Member

found it..

https://honda-tech.com/forums/performance-45/blox-cam-valvetrain-package-sale-%24665-shipped-2605511/
Old 03-18-2010, 10:08 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by bettsbanger
also i was going to say, someone in the marketplace sells blox springs and retainers and cams as a total package for like 650. I see if i can find it for ya.
Can't get better then that. Really good price!!
Old 03-18-2010, 10:22 AM
Honda-Tech Member

http://www.jhpusa.com/store/pc/viewP...&idcategory=23
Old 03-18-2010, 10:32 AM
Honda-Tech Member

I think you should port the head and the SK2IM. Maybe go with a type R cam also.
Old 03-18-2010, 12:19 PM
Honda-Tech Member

That kit with cams, springs, retainers looks pretty good. How different are the Type A vs B and how are those different from Stage 1 or 2? sorry to be a complete noob
Old 03-18-2010, 12:37 PM
Honda-Tech Member

A and B is just a different way of saying 1 or 2...I or II.

Look at the actual specs on the cams not the "stage" because they vary wildly between brands. Also, look at the spec differences in the As and Bs and decide for yourself, but with a stock bottom end you want to avoid "overcamming" the engine which means sticking to a smaller cam.
Old 03-18-2010, 02:04 PM
Honda-Tech Member

The JDM GS-R has 10.6:1, and that's plenty for ITR/CTR, Blox A or S2S1, and fine for Blox B or S2S2 or equivalent. More than that might be over-cammed, but there's a lot of room for 10.6:1 to grow.

Regarding the cam gears on GSR cams. It's really a waste. At most you'll gain 1-2 hp and at least you'll find out that Honda already knew what they were doing when they set the cam timing for GS-Rs. For ITR/CTR or 'stage 1' cams stock gears are fine, too, but above that you'll want adjustability for performance and safety.
Old 03-18-2010, 03:22 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 272 Likes on 260 Posts

Im just gonna hit you from left field with this, from my experience with all the motors i have built and tunned and the money i invested for the power i got never really satisfied my power goals with all motor, what i mean is consider the money to power ratio! spending $650 on cams and valve train then paying to get them installed and most times you need to remove the head which is more $ & labor unless your capable of pulling and installing them with the head still on the block and with other little upgrades to help you n.a like cam gears, injectors,ect..its gonna cost you allot near $800 -1,000+ in the end trust me and after tuned you will be lucky to hit 200hp! now i have spent tons of money on n.a gsr motors fully built but the most i ever got was 216hp and i paid allot to get 216hp on a n.a gsr motor, i now have a jrsc and love it its like a super powerful n.a motor! instant power! i made 230hp on a high comp. n.a gsr setup with a jrsc @ 5 psi, it made only 230hp cause i still had big sk2 pro 1 cams so i should of had a lot more hp with stock cams, so now consider a Jackson supercharger! ad and save a little more and for around $1,100-,$1,200 you can find a complete used kit and get way more hp than you could ever get going n.a with cams and other little things, you can hit 230hp to 270hp on a stock gsr motor! install is very easy and the power it gives you for the amount you pay you just cant beet it trust me!! stock cams are ideal with the jrsc so don't worrie about needing cams or springs and retainers! if the kit comes with the fmu all you need is a stock ecu to make it simple and wire in the fmu and you don't even need a tune cause the fmu sets the fuel for the boost! so you don't really even need to pay for a dyno tune either, think about it and don't be afraid to venture into forced induction the jrsc is a great upgrade hands down and there easy to find sometimes for a reasonable price i just sold mine for $1,250 and im buying a new one for my new motor im building cause i just cant turn back after experiencing the jrsc. you will spend close to that in the end and wont have near as much power! and the jrsc is real maintenance friendly and is very reliable.
Old 03-18-2010, 04:03 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I know this is EXTREMELY off topic, but have you driven in the mountains yet? I suggest getting some nice tires or some GC springs or other misc suspension parts. Those are going to provide much more fun up here than a few extra ponies.
Old 03-18-2010, 08:42 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by Sleepy.Bear
I know this is EXTREMELY off topic, but have you driven in the mountains yet? I suggest getting some nice tires or some GC springs or other misc suspension parts. Those are going to provide much more fun up here than a few extra ponies.
this post makes me happy
Old 03-18-2010, 09:34 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I agree with wun, I have also been down the road of headers intake exhaust and wasting a lot of money for hardly any power. Now 15 years later I totally regret all those add ons which I actually thought I could feel a difference. I think it was my imagination that I could feel 10-20 horsepower.

Save your money and buy a small turbo or something, other then that its just not worth it.

Just my opininon its your money, live and learn

Last edited by TurboTeG4; 03-18-2010 at 09:51 PM.
Old 03-19-2010, 05:54 AM
Honda-Tech Member

I think you guys are missing the point. He wanted to spend a little money (such as $400 on cams/valve springs/retainers....and/or he could sell the retainers and have cams/valvesprings for $300) and have it retuned which he is doing anyway. He was never looking for alot of power or to spend more then a few hundred.

Also, it's funny just how fast 200whp can be with the right chassis setup.....or how slow 300whp can be with the wrong one. Trust me here, I've been on both sides running a high 14 in a turbo car going WTF.

Quick Reply: re-tuning gsr, which upgrade should I put in requiring tune?