Notices
Acura Integra All Integra Except ITR

anyone have an Infrared Thermometer?

Search this Thread

Old 10-30-2006, 12:38 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default anyone have an Infrared Thermometer?

does anyone have an infrered thermometer who can check the exhaust pipe temperature for me? i need to know the temperature of the s-bent section, aka after the resonator. if possible can you also take the temperature after the cat?

|| <- cat
|| <- resonator
|| <-
+=+ <- the S-bent section
.....|| <-
....// <- axle back
...|| <- axle back

i am gonna make a aluminum exhaust (probably resonator-back) using Dura-fix, but the temp needs to be less than 732F so the welds don't melt rofl...
Old 10-30-2006, 01:03 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: anyone have an Infrared Thermometer? (codenamezero)

I've got one at work, depending on where you're located I could measure them if you stop by. I'm in the Baltimore area.

EDIT: BTW, nothing on your exhaust should come anywhere near 732deg.F, not even the cat. If you're turbo'd, maybe the manifold or turbine housing. My IR thermometer only goes up to 500deg.F.
Old 10-30-2006, 01:13 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: anyone have an Infrared Thermometer? (nitrofish420)

Hey, sorry dont mean to thread jack.. but i was curious, my temp guage is at a little above halfway at operating temp. Im thinking it may just be the guage but if i get an infrared thermometer on it, how hot should it be and where should i aim it? I figure if i get the thermometer on it and its normal, then it must be my guage.
Old 10-30-2006, 01:29 PM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by nitrofish420 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">I've got one at work, depending on where you're located I could measure them if you stop by. I'm in the Baltimore area.

EDIT: BTW, nothing on your exhaust should come anywhere near 732deg.F, not even the cat. If you're turbo'd, maybe the manifold or turbine housing. My IR thermometer only goes up to 500deg.F. </TD></TR></TABLE>

yea that's what i assume too, on turbo, exhaust gas can be as high as 1400F right out of the header, but it still comes out warm at the end of the exhaust, for NA, the temp should be 800 out of header but i'm just being careful and don't want the Dura-fix to melt rofl...

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by HoUTX98GSR &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Hey, sorry dont mean to thread jack.. but i was curious, my temp guage is at a little above halfway at operating temp. Im thinking it may just be the guage but if i get an infrared thermometer on it, how hot should it be and where should i aim it? I figure if i get the thermometer on it and its normal, then it must be my guage.</TD></TR></TABLE>

do you mean your EGT meter? or your stock oem temperture gauge? cos that's 2 different thing...
Old 10-30-2006, 01:42 PM
Honda-Tech Member

BTW, from my experience with brazing stuff together, it doesnt hold up well under stress. I know the exhaust isnt a "stressed" piece of the car, but Im not sure the brazed pieces are going to hold together when a little sway from the 5ft breaker bar (ie, your exhaust) comes along.
Old 10-30-2006, 02:49 PM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by codenamezero &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

do you mean your EGT meter? or your stock oem temperture gauge? cos that's 2 different thing...</TD></TR></TABLE>

Sorry, my stock gauge.... in the cluster.. its either the sending unit, the gauge, or its actually running hot..

What temp should the motor run at? and where to point the thermo?

Modified by HoUTX98GSR at 6:55 PM 10/30/2006
Old 10-30-2006, 05:23 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: anyone have an Infrared Thermometer? (HoUTX98GSR)

Make sure it's fully warmed up (thermostat open and fans come on at least once) and point the IR directly at the aluminum that the coolant temp. sensor threads into. I can't honestly tell you what temp it should run at, as I've always relied on the stock gauge in both of my Hondas. Try searching what temp the stock fan switch turns on at, and it shouldn't get much hotter than that.
Old 10-30-2006, 05:40 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Ok thanks. Anyone know what temperature it should be?

I searched and found temps ranging from 180-220! Most of the people that were in the 210-220 range were boosted though. My motor is pretty much stock except for cams. What kind of guage can i buy or what else can i do to check if its really running hot?

I was thinking about swapping clusters with a friend, but he has a 95 ls. Mines a 98 gsr. Im not sure if it will work.

Modified by HoUTX98GSR at 6:54 PM 10/30/2006
Old 10-30-2006, 05:51 PM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by HoUTX98GSR &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Ok thanks. Anyone know what temperature it should be? </TD></TR></TABLE>

jesus stop hi-jacking my thread!!!!
temp needle should be 3/5 or 2/3 of the gauge, temperature i can't be sure, but should be 220F i think... don't qoute me.

ANYHOW, lets back to my topic LOL
Old 10-30-2006, 05:53 PM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by codenamezero &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

jesus stop hi-jacking my thread!!!!
</TD></TR></TABLE>

Thread Hi-jacked.....btw, sears has a voltmeter w/ pyro gauge for like $20 and then you can do it yourself.

Thermostat is fully open at 194*
Fan kicks on at 196-203*
A/C Fan kicks on for "overheating" issues at like 217*
Old 10-30-2006, 06:04 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: anyone have an Infrared Thermometer? (95 integra)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by 95 integra &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

Thread Hi-jacked.....btw, sears has a voltmeter w/ pyro gauge for like $20 and then you can do it yourself.

Thermostat is fully open at 194*
Fan kicks on at 196-203*
A/C Fan kicks on for "overheating" issues at like 217*</TD></TR></TABLE>

Thanks alot man.

OP, sorry i didnt mean to jack your thread, it just reminded me about that. Are you asking someone to measure YOUR exhaust temp, or measure THEIR exaust temp and tell you how hot theirs is?

Edit: NM, I'm retarded.
Old 10-30-2006, 07:55 PM
Honda-Tech Member

i need someone who can get me a mesurement off an integra
not necessary my integra

is it how people call it "pyrometer"? the thing that i see people use to check tire temperature just by pointing at the surface.
Old 10-31-2006, 05:44 AM
Honda-Tech Member

BTW, that measurement isnt going to do you any good really. If you've ever watched an in car pyrometer, when the car is under load and heavy throttle the temps shoot way up and then almost immediately come straight back down once you get off the gas. Since they would have to check the temps with the car stopped, under no load (most likely at idle), you're going to get much lower reading then what it will be under load/in gear.
Old 10-31-2006, 12:07 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: anyone have an Infrared Thermometer? (95 integra)

any idea what kind of temperature does an NA integra would generate?
under what range of temperature...?
800F - ????F

what is the general exhaust gas temperature anyway?
Old 10-31-2006, 01:08 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I've never had a pyrometer on an NA car. The turbo GSR saw upwards of 1200 which was measured right off the turbo in the downpipe, but a NA motor wont get that hot and will cool considerably by the time it gets past the cat. Im guessing in the sub 500 range after the cat and probably in the sub 350 range by the time it gets to the "S" bend.