Notices
Acura Integra All Integra Except ITR

ProjectLsV's Budget Build

Search this Thread

Old 12-25-2014, 06:26 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default ProjectLsV's Budget Build

Hey HT! As my username states im currently in the process of building a budget LS/Vtec motor. I've been reading alot of stuff on ls/vtec builds on different forums and it seems to get a mixed reputation. I'm hoping without cutting corners and not spending to much money ill be able to make a nice all motor budget built reailable Ls/Vtec motor. Ill be using this thread to track my progress/build and to also hopefully help others out.

Parts I Have so far: updated as of 12/31/14
99 pr3-3 B16a2 cylinder head (Got it for $100 off a Friend locally)
skunk2 adjustable pro cam gears (just because I won them on ebay for $80 )
p28 chipped ecu tuned on chrome with jumper harness (Got it for $50 off a Friend locally)
01 itr valves
01 itr valve springs
01 itr retainers

Parts I want/Was thinking of:
itr cams
itr oil pump
itr water pump
Gates blue belt
clean the head
deck the head
shave the head
arp head studs
oem headgasket
golden eagle ls/vtec conversion kit

If anyone has any other tips or suggestions please feel free to post your feedback. Ill have pics up on Friday when i pick up my ecu.

Last edited by ProjectLsV; 01-10-2015 at 06:07 PM.
Old 12-25-2014, 06:53 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts
Default Re: ProjectLsV's Budget Build

Ditch the ITR parts although "good" what most ppl ask for them($$) you can get decent quality aftermarket parts that perform better. I'll re-do your list keeping budget in mind, lots of this stuff can be found used also.

Skunk2 springs/retainers
stock valves
Skunk2 tuner 2's(loved these things on my last tegg)
new oil pump from Honda (they're all the same LPH rating now just get the proper one for your year)
Gates "blue" belt more then enough
not needed(P/P)
arp head studs required**
OEM Honda head gasket
LSV kit

the one thing i'll recommend is doing the rod bolts with ARP hardware you'll be able to rev a bit higher safely.

At first I had a similar set up in my old tegg, it was a stock gsr with bolt on's and tuner 2 cams I was able to squeeze out just shy of 192whp/131TQ. I'd say if you can find a good deal grab a skunk2 intake manifold.

have anything in mind for the body? JDM front or something
Old 12-25-2014, 07:38 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by B_Swapped93
Ditch the ITR parts although "good" what most ppl ask for them($$) you can get decent quality aftermarket parts that perform better. I'll re-do your list keeping budget in mind, lots of this stuff can be found used also.

Skunk2 springs/retainers
stock valves
Skunk2 tuner 2's(loved these things on my last tegg)
new oil pump from Honda (they're all the same LPH rating now just get the proper one for your year)
Gates "blue" belt more then enough
not needed(P/P)
arp head studs required**
OEM Honda head gasket
LSV kit

the one thing i'll recommend is doing the rod bolts with ARP hardware you'll be able to rev a bit higher safely.

At first I had a similar set up in my old tegg, it was a stock gsr with bolt on's and tuner 2 cams I was able to squeeze out just shy of 192whp/131TQ. I'd say if you can find a good deal grab a skunk2 intake manifold.

have anything in mind for the body? JDM front or something

I originally wanted aftermarket valvetrain components but then I came across itr Valves, Valve springs, an Retainers locally for $120 just now. It would be kinda hard to beat that price to find anything better. Thanks for the info on the water/oil pump, that will help with the cost and finding a nice used one. I also plan on using all arp hardware anywhere possible. Otherwise thank you for your awesome feedback on my list and your info. For the body I plan on finding a nice cheap used 94-01 5spd LS Integra.
Old 12-25-2014, 08:11 PM
Honda-Tech Member

B_swapped93 seems to have covered most of it. Best advice I can offer is to choose your cams BEFORE you choose your valvetrain. Stock ITR valvetrain is great if you're using ITR or similar cams but if you decide to get a set of more aggresive cams that require a more stout valvetrain, the ITR stuff will be a waste of money no matter how good of a deal it is.

Also you listed a VTEC water pump (which I would suggest), just make sure to match the timing belt you use to the water pump.

ARP rod bolts and head studs are also a must have. Glad to see you're not trying to skimp there.
Old 12-26-2014, 02:02 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Buy OBD2 B series oil pump, its cheaper. There is no difference between LS, GSR, Type R oil pumps .. theyre the same.
The difference is if its obd 1 or obd2.. obd2 pump will provide for crank sensor but if you wont use one just dont connect it.

I wouldnt rely on a "tuned chipped" ecu. Every motor is different and reacts different, even with similar parts. So use that chipped ecu just as a basemap to get to a dyno and actually tune it for your specific engine.

Since id rather be safe than sorry i would add GSR girdle with ARP bolts, Arp rod bolts and Head studs.
Old 12-28-2014, 08:20 PM
HT Black OPs

search theres a LSV thread that tells you everything you will need for proper setup.

https://honda-tech.com/all-motor-nat...0vtec-1676914/
Old 12-31-2014, 12:43 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by 00IntegrAllmotoR
search theres a LSV thread that tells you everything you will need for proper setup.

https://honda-tech.com/all-motor-nat...0vtec-1676914/

Ive read threw all that great info and its answered most if not all my questions. I also know how to use a search button and google.
Old 12-31-2014, 04:54 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by cisco_kid
Buy OBD2 B series oil pump, its cheaper. There is no difference between LS, GSR, Type R oil pumps .. theyre the same.
The difference is if its obd 1 or obd2.. obd2 pump will provide for crank sensor but if you wont use one just dont connect it.

I wouldnt rely on a "tuned chipped" ecu. Every motor is different and reacts different, even with similar parts. So use that chipped ecu just as a basemap to get to a dyno and actually tune it for your specific engine.

Since id rather be safe than sorry i would add GSR girdle with ARP bolts, Arp rod bolts and Head studs.

Yea I was reading else where that you can use an ls, gsr or itr oil pump. Im not gunna rely on a chipped ecu with a tune already. Ill be getting it tuned the same day as I hook it up. Ill be using a Moroso baffled oil pan with girdle, arp main bolts, arp rod bolts, Plus an entire oem gasket kit for upper and lower. Can never be to safe. and if the budget can handle it short peen the rods and get new pistons.

Last edited by ProjectLsV; 01-10-2015 at 06:11 PM.