Notices
Acura Integra All Integra Except ITR

Project 'Make Gagnar's Car Nice Again:' My Build Thread

Search this Thread

Old 01-06-2010, 05:58 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: Project 'Make Gagnar's Car Nice Again:' My Build Thread

I'm going to be using my Christmas money to get a sway bar soon, and I was wondering what color ASR brace to get. What would you get if you were putting a brace on this car:

I'm leaning towards red or gold.

Old 01-06-2010, 11:44 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

black or red

i keep wanting to air saw your springs for a get-me-by every time i see that car
Old 01-07-2010, 02:06 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i would go with blue or purple. looks good, stands out yet some one blends with the red IMO, and i don't think it would matter what color either way as far as attracting thieves goes, because if they see the asr brace they'll assume other mods, and then you'll have larger problems. not trying to sound negative, but i always try to think like a thief would in an attempt to out smart them to keep my baby at my house each night.

but other than that, build is looking good so far.

oh and GREAT write up on the clutch m/c replacement, i wish i had something like that two years ago when helped my buddy swap his m/c out on his old eg
Old 01-07-2010, 03:40 AM
Honda-Tech Member

I like the black one.

A Spec Racing w/ITR 22mm swaybar
Old 01-07-2010, 03:57 AM
Daisy... Daisy...

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

For the wirite up, I ask that you attach the pictures. One of features that I like about vB is image hosting. Too many old write-ups are now obsolete due to defunct picture hosting.
Old 01-07-2010, 04:56 AM
Honda-Tech Member

i say gunmetal on your car to match your wheels
Old 01-07-2010, 06:58 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Yeah, my car really looks like a truck in these pictures. It's not as noticeable in person, fortunately. My wife said I should get black or silver to discourage thieves, but I figure if a thief sees the brace it's because he was looking for it, and he isn't gonna give a $h!+ what color it is, but it is something I may have to worry about when I leave the Mountain West.

Dogginator, thanks for the advice -- I was wondering about that and debating whether the forum bosses would rather host the pics or run the risk of them breaking, but I'll attach them for posterity

JDM98, those gunmetal wheels are Idrivesideways' wheels, not mine. Mine are the silver Konigs. Otherwise, I'd probably go for a gunmetal/red color scheme.

Right now I'm trying to figure out what color scheme I want. The wheels are silver with silver lugs, and I've got a red and black painted VC. When I have the suspension off I'll paint the calipers, probably either red, black or silver, maybe gold and I thought it would be cool if my ASR matched that.
Old 01-07-2010, 06:59 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Here's my VC:

Ignore the engine bay -- cleaning it was not a priority this fall when I was doing the VC, cams and timing belt and highs were in the low forties with rain every day. I'll get her in shape this summer.
Old 01-07-2010, 02:59 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Great looking thread so far Gagnar, i thoroughly enjoyed all 2 pages so far . I do have a few pieces of information i would like to share regarding the few questions you posted.
Option A - Upgrading the suspension while doing your ASR/ITR mods would be a great decision to make and you will love your car a lot more lowered slightly. I would have to reccomend a coilover setup that is height and stiffness adjustable like Function & Form Type 2's or something of that nature so you can play with it until you get it just right. I settled with somewhere near a 1.0in drop in the front with a 0.75in drop in the rear and i forget the settings for stiffness but it rides beautifully.

Also, for a color choice on the ASR brace I personally chose the silver color just because it looks clean and stock(ish) looking. I am sure your taste will vary but the silver looks damn good. I will post a picture of it when i get home so you can take a look for yourself.

Keep up the good work

--edit-- nice VC two-tone is sick

Last edited by Zappythebum; 01-07-2010 at 03:00 PM. Reason: nice VC
Old 01-08-2010, 07:16 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Zappy, I'd love to see that pic of your brace. I'm definitely getting a height-adjustable setup, and I'm trying to decide whether I want to drop the extra $$ for damper-adjustable. Right now I'm waffling between Progress 2 and Koni/GC. I doubt I'll mess with the damper adjustments much, but it might be nice to have so I can tune it just how I want it.
Old 01-08-2010, 10:14 AM
Honda-Tech Member

ill get the silver asr and like some red lcas, i think that would look amazing
Old 01-10-2010, 09:15 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Here are a few pics of the silver ASR brace on my integra, apologies for the crappy quality they are cell phone pictures. I will take another one tomorrow and hopefully it will turn out looking better
Attached Images    
Old 01-10-2010, 10:59 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I like the silver, or black ASR brace. I run the black, but my function 7 LCA's kind of defeat the purpose.
Old 01-10-2010, 11:17 PM
Painfully Stupid

Nice thread. Your GS-R looks pretty clean.
Old 01-11-2010, 06:27 AM
Honda-Tech Member

I'm glad people are enjoying this thread!

Yeah, I think I'm leaning towards silver on the ASR. I think a red/silver/black color scheme would look good without being too gaudy.

@SteveDC2 -- I agree red LCA's would look awesome, but for $100-200 on LCAs I'd be getting bushings I'd have to press out anyways, and the LCA's themselves don't really do much for the performance of the car. I think I'll skip the LCAs and put my money towards either upgrading from Progress 2 to Koni/GC, or getting a header, cat, or tuning hardware sooner, even though I agree they look nice.

@ Zeppy -- silver on blue looks awesome

@ PaulMC, thanks -- my goal is to upgrade the entire car prioritizing function over form and keeping on a limited budget. I want to show what you can do to make your car a performer for small change, without going for used or Ebay stuff. I'm staying away from the shiny boy-racer items that don't add much/any performance (hence no aftermarket LCA's). I want to have a mild all-motor GS-R (~180 whp) with improved handling but that's got a clean, understated look.

A couple of questions:

1) Is the silver ASR unfinished aluminum? I'm thinking it could be cool to spray rattlecan black or milano red into the lettering grooves and then sand off the overspray, to turn up the dial on the look a little without being garish or spending extra $$.

2) If I buy an ASR brace from Weaksauce and an ITR sway bar from an OEM supplier, do I need to buy any other OEM brackets or bushings?
Old 01-11-2010, 07:48 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by GagnarTheUnruly

2) If I buy an ASR brace from Weaksauce and an ITR sway bar from an OEM supplier, do I need to buy any other OEM brackets or bushings?
I have the OEM parts list for the this project at work. Sorry, took the day off. I can post it tomorrow.

Found it.
1.) 52300-ST7-Z01 rear swaybar ($72.93)
2.) 52315-ST7-Z01 swaybar bushing ($4.60) (2 needed)
3.) 52308-SS0-000 bushing bracket ($6.18) (2 needed)
4.) 52316-ST7-Z00 endlink bushing ($1.82) (2 needed)
5.) 52312-ST7-Z00 endlink bushing collar ($5.12) (2 needed)
6.) 90175-ST7-Z00 bolt (8x35) ($0.58) (2 needed)
7.) 94050-08080 flange nut (8mm) ($0.03) (2 needed)
Old 01-11-2010, 12:03 PM
Honda-Tech Member

A couple of questions:

1) Is the silver ASR unfinished aluminum? I'm thinking it could be cool to spray rattlecan black or milano red into the lettering grooves and then sand off the overspray, to turn up the dial on the look a little without being garish or spending extra $$.

1) Yes the silver ASR is unfinished aluminum it doesn't have any coats of paint or clear coats.
I like your idea of spraying the lettering that would look badass! I guess you would spray it red since your car is red?

2) I did the same thing, Weaksauce for ASR and ITR sway from Acura. The only thing that i needed to replace on the OEM side was:
- ITR sway bar
- sway bar bushings
- bushing brackets
- endlink bushings

It came out to around $110 from the Acura dealership locally here, which isn't really too bad IMO. And Weaksauce did a good job of getting my ASR brace to my house quickly, no dramarama in shipping is always nice.

It looks like OH_1fstgsr left a great detailed list of parts and p/n's too. That should help you to price quote it, looks like $109.59 + tax if i did my math right
Old 01-12-2010, 09:48 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Thanks oh_1fastgsr. I'm gonna be getting a itr swaybar pretty soon for the civic.

Weaksauce is a great company imo. I bought a set of rear LCAs and they ended up being on back order. I got a call from them within 2hrs telling me this and explained my options.

Great build/upgrade thread btw. I'm doing something similar to my GSR sedan. Just trying to make it more enjoyable and more pleasing to the eye. How do u like the sound of the WS2 too? Is it "ricey" at all or have an annoying tone while on the thruway?
Old 01-12-2010, 10:15 AM
Painfully Stupid

@ PaulMC, thanks -- my goal is to upgrade the entire car prioritizing function over form and keeping on a limited budget. I want to show what you can do to make your car a performer for small change, without going for used or Ebay stuff. I'm staying away from the shiny boy-racer items that don't add much/any performance (hence no aftermarket LCA's). I want to have a mild all-motor GS-R (~180 whp) with improved handling but that's got a clean, understated look.
Similiar to the same goal I have with my ITR, especially being on a limited budget. A decent all motor application to your GS-R with some functional suspension upgrades will result in very reliable, fun car on the track and on the road. But remember, all because something is used doesn't mean it isn't as functional as the same as brand new. You can save a lot of money, (considering your budget) in finding parts that users on here no longer have a need for. Goodluck with your build along the way, keep us updated.
Old 01-13-2010, 01:08 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Awesome, that's exactly the info I needed. I'll get those parts on order soon.

@ boarding -- I like the WS2 a lot. To be honest, at first the exhaust tip looked really big and it sounded kind of loud, but I really think it's now what I would consider to be the perfect level of loudness and aggressiveness. It adds a bit of a baritone to the normal exhaust note, without the droning sound of many straight-through type systems. It snarls nicely at high revs and has a really nice bark at startup (flywheel helps). On the freeway I don't really notice the exhaust being loud. I'm sure it must be a bit louder than stock, but the car in general isn't exactly quiet on the freeway. At any rate, there is nothing annoying about the exhaust at speed. I'd say wind and tire noise are still my biggest enemies at 75 mph. The note also isn't obnoxious. I can hear and recognize it when my wife is pulling into/out of the driveway, and it is slightly louder than stock, but not in a way that I think is bothersome to anyone else. In a nutshell, WS2 =

You can get vids on Youtube, and T-I has exhaust notes archived in their articles section somewhere.
Old 01-13-2010, 01:22 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by Zappythebum
1) Yes the silver ASR is unfinished aluminum it doesn't have any coats of paint or clear coats.
I like your idea of spraying the lettering that would look badass! I guess you would spray it red since your car is red?
Yeah, I think spraying the letters would look sort of cool without going over the top. Plus, I've never seen anyone do it before! I was thinking I could get either Duplicolor Milano Red to match the paint on the car, or maybe black.

Last edited by GagnarTheUnruly; 01-13-2010 at 07:05 PM.
Old 01-13-2010, 03:28 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Awesome, that's exactly the info I needed. I'll get those parts on order soon.

@ boarding -- I like the WS2 a lot. To be honest, at first the exhaust tip looked really big and it sounded kind of loud, but I really think it's now what I would consider to be the perfect level of loudness and aggressiveness. It adds a bit of a baritone to the normal exhaust note, without the droning sound of many straight-through type systems. It snarls nicely at high revs and has a really nice bark at startup (flywheel helps). On the freeway I don't really notice the exhaust being loud. I'm sure it must be a bit louder than stock, but the car in general isn't exactly quiet on the freeway. At any rate, there is nothing annoying about the exhaust at speed. I'd say wind and tire noise are still my biggest enemies at 75 mph. The note also isn't obnoxious. I can hear and recognize it when my wife is pulling into/out of the driveway, and it is slightly louder than stock, but not in a way that I think is bothersome to anyone else. In a nutshell, WS2 =

You can get vids on Youtube, and T-I has exhaust notes archived in their articles section somewhere.
alright ill have to find them on TI and listen. ive found some on youtube and they sound good then ill hear another and it sounds horrible lol.
Old 01-13-2010, 07:27 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Yeah, I think spraying the letters would look sort of cool without going over the top. Plus, I've never seen anyone do it before! I was thinking I could get either Duplicolor Milano Red to match the paint on the car, or maybe black.
If i had to choose between the two I'd go with the red and maybe do an outline in black so its more pronounced. But that's just me
Old 01-13-2010, 07:28 PM

nice.
Old 01-14-2010, 08:48 AM
Honda-Tech Member

I just ordered my ITR sway bar from OEMAcuraParts (Acura of Peoria) -- $107 plus shipping, and a new fuel filter that I'll be doing install notes on some time soon. I'm excited to be getting the sway bar, even though it'll probably have to sit around for a few months.

Quick Reply: Project 'Make Gagnar's Car Nice Again:' My Build Thread