Notices
Acura Integra All Integra Except ITR

popping while trying to start ?

Search this Thread

Old 11-14-2009, 08:23 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default popping while trying to start ?

well my car has been having some trouble lately.i recently blew up my b17 but im rebuilding it slowly and for meanwhile i put in a built ls/vtec in my car but its been giving little problems here and there .

the latest problem is that it doesn't want to start anymore..let me give you a list on what ive done and replaced

-oil change
-new fuel filter
-cleaned fitv and iacv
-dizzy rebuilt with oem parts
-new throttle body gasket
-new ngk wires with ngk plugs
-new aem filter
-new pcv valve
-new air freshner lol

well before it started not wanting to start it randomly died at light sometimes
and i tried doing the seafoam treatment thingy and i think it made things worse because its started to clack for about 30 seconds then went away then when i drove it around and started to burn a shitload of blue smoke while at idle and driving normal (it only smoked a little bit while in high rpms before treatment ) i replaced all the things above after treatment... so sometimes it wants to start and sometime it doesn't and when it does start it pops at idle alot. and it runs like crap and when it doesn't start it pops while trying to start wtf?
i think it could be
pos intake manifold gasket
or slipped timing

what do you guys think?
Old 11-14-2009, 11:20 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Re: popping while trying to start ?

uh try jump starting it? check for fuel and spark? check your timing? does the motor crank but does not turn over? did you check your starter?
Old 11-14-2009, 11:43 PM
Honda-Tech Member

If you're car dies at temporary stops, considered checking your main relay.
Old 11-15-2009, 05:41 AM

Originally Posted by mouab18c1
uh try jump starting it? check for fuel and spark? check your timing? does the motor crank but does not turn over? did you check your starter?
yeah it has all that..... so while looking at my cam gears i noticed that the tdc arrows are facing the complete opposite? i looked at my timing two weeks ago and the tdc arrows were facing the same direction i haven't driven in like 3 weeks so could i have slipped timing trying to start it? damage?
Old 11-15-2009, 10:35 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

your tdc marks will line up even with the cam gears arrow facing down and also when they are facing up so try looking at it when they are both pointing in the correct UP position
Old 11-16-2009, 11:01 AM
Honda-Tech Member

haha if one cam gear says <- and the other says -> your boned! at any rate backfiring while trying to start usually means the timing is off, so my suggestion would be to make sure 100% that the cam timing is all zero'd out...also pop the valve cover off and check for broken cams
Old 11-17-2009, 07:47 AM

Originally Posted by A L I A S
haha if one cam gear says <- and the other says -> your boned! at any rate backfiring while trying to start usually means the timing is off, so my suggestion would be to make sure 100% that the cam timing is all zero'd out...also pop the valve cover off and check for broken cams
yeah,one of the first things i did was check the timing when i was looking for the problems and the tdc arrows were always pointing at the same direction.i drove it once around the block between that time and the time i noticed the arrows were ****ed..you guys think i damaged anything???