Notices
Acura Integra All Integra Except ITR

padawan power to manual steering rack loop

Search this Thread

Old 12-24-2008, 01:43 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Icon2 padawan power to manual steering rack loop

After installing this kit on my DC2 I added close to 1 full pint of Honda power steering fluid and steering effort is amazingly difficult. How much PS fluid was I supposed to add, if any?
Old 12-24-2008, 01:53 PM

Default Re: padawan power to manual steering rack loop

Does Padawan still sell this kit? Im interested in one. Thanks.
Old 12-24-2008, 03:05 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Im not sure. I bought this a couple years back and just installed the kit a few days ago. I tried Pm'ing Padawan but it looks like hes been afk a while.
Old 12-24-2008, 07:12 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

If you think its hard to turn it now, try looping the lines.....

I say man up you just removed your PS, did you think it was not going to be a little heavy?

I run the Stealthmode kit and I dont have a resevior on it, I just ran the lines and cranked the steering wheel really fast while the car was up in the air to get the extra fluid out and everything is fine 10k miles later......
Old 01-01-2009, 11:50 PM

Icon6 Re: padawan power to manual steering rack loop

Quick question; I am going to just loop the lines....however whats wrong with just plugging the high preasure line and resevoir line on the valve unit....what does looping the lines do? I'm trying to understand the need for the loop....there's fliud in the gearbox/valve unit already...so why the need..is there some affect on the pin engagement....torsion bar...or valve in the valve housing?
Old 01-02-2009, 12:02 AM
Honda-Tech Member

I remember from old threads, the rack just needs enough PS fluid to keep the rack lubricated. to the op, I think your just pushing the fluid back and forth and there's no air causing difficult steering? not sure, somebody will correct me.

I looped mine and it has some fluid, not much since a lot spilled out and the steering sucks but I expected that. steering is fine when moving.

Breather is the key to easier steering.

here's a picture as in alternative for those who plan on looping it:

notice the looping and the breather.

Old 01-02-2009, 08:33 AM

Thank you Apathy47 for the post and the pic. It looks like you still have your high preasure hard line still connected.....unless there is something I am not seeing in the picture. I also see you kept your sensor connected.....hmmm actually it kind of looks like you used the hard line from the sensor to go to your high preasure point on the valve unit...then looped it. I took out all my lines, hoses, and the sensor.

The barb fitting on the high preasure line was totally rusted out and siezed...I tried everything to get the damn thing off...I used....wd40....liquid wrench....even tried to freeze blast the damn thing to break up the rust....in the end I ended up with a rounded out barb fitting and having to cut the line. Anyhow, I really did not care since I have another gearbox...which I was intending to install anyways.

Yet, now I am stuck trying to source the fittings needed to loop the lines. I was going to purchase the stealth mode kit but I was like damn $92 for some fittings, tubes and a tee...plus I have no idea how long shipping would take....I need my car by monday to be drivable for work. I went to all the autoparts stores...even home depot (last resort) trying to find the correct size fittings...everyone only carries standard sizes....which I am pissed since the US is converting or converted over to metric.

So I currently have everything off the car and waiting for the new gearbox to go in...I found some plugs that will work in the meantime....but want to make sure plugging the return line and high preasure line will not destroy the new gearbox.

Last edited by RevHard2003; 01-02-2009 at 08:37 AM. Reason: damn the proofreading after you post.
Old 01-02-2009, 01:58 PM
Honda-Tech Member

oh no, that's not my setup...I forgot who did that but his build thread is on HT somewhere.

I simply use one of the PS hoses and looped it; I still need a breather.
Old 01-02-2009, 04:58 PM

ahh i see...i ended finding a local shop here that does hosing and tubing...they made me a braided line with new fittings. Good thinh I went there because I had one of the fitting sizes wrong....I tought both were 14mm but only one was; the other was a size 16mm.

My setup is the same as yours now...a loop without the breather; just looks nice because of the stainless braided line. I should have taken a picture; but I am pressed for time and just installed it. I am now in the works of putting everything back together.

Since my driveshaft boots were torn, I ended up changing them as well.

On a lost note; I still do not understand why we can not just plug the damn things...if its plugged and there is fluid....then the gearbox will stay lurbicated. I was hoping someone on here would be able to debunk that theory. the part we are plugging just feeds fluid from the ps pump to the valve unit and returns the fluid back to the reservoir. If both the pump and the reservoir are deleted/taken out then there is no longer a purpose for the feed line (i was calling this the high preasure line before..woops) and return line.

I saw the article on honda tuning....but they do not really explain the reason for the loop and the breather...except..as you stated before to keep the gearbox lubed...yet the gearbox does not need that much fluid to stay lubed..whatever is left over in the gearbox is enough.

When I took the gearbox in to get the loop made and told him I was converting over to a manual gearbox...the guy asked me why I just did not plug the holes? Hmmmmm good question; that's the same thing I was wondering.

Well have to get back to work on the car; I will check back again.
Old 01-02-2009, 07:10 PM
Honda-Tech Member

answers can be found here, the original thread:

https://honda-tech.com/forums/acura-integra-type-r-8/how-power-steering-manual-184202/

of course you have to read thru several pages. :p
Old 01-02-2009, 10:12 PM

Apathy47; thank you for finding the original thread...looks like I have some reading to do.
Old 01-02-2009, 10:48 PM

Hey Apathy47 someone mentions something close to what I am trying to get across here. The post was written by R8dr; he only posted once....I think because no one responded to him...however I have only gone through 3 pages. LOL the thread cracks me up...because it is a pain in the *** to do this with your engine still in the car....pulling the old gearbox out and installing a new one sucks even more and people were having the same problem I was with determining the correct sizes of the fittings.

I'm just glad there was a local shop who had the fittings I needed and was able to loop the lines.
Old 01-02-2009, 11:14 PM

alright page 5 has the answer....you can plug the holes but it makes the steering a lot more difficult...lol doing this mod already makes the steering more difficult...minus the lot.

Hey Speedc2 from what I have read so far....you want to get most of the fluid out of the gearbox; you want more air in the system than fliud. So in short the one full pint you added is no good. You are fighting the fluid; another person made a good comparison to what your experiencing..example..a shock with the spring off...ever push it with the fluid still in it.....it's hard as hell....but with no fluid (blown shock)...it's easy.
Old 01-04-2009, 11:38 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Hey thanks for digging around through those long threads and researching this matter. Not to go off topic but this new VBulletin seems like it took a step backwards from the previous ZeroForum. I find it difficult to keep track of my 'recent' threads vs ZeroForums, not to mention searching for something is totally brutal and a PITA.

Anyways I drained most of the fluid out and it made a night and day difference. Driving is a much more pleasurable experience now. The steering effort has gone down significantly after the fluid drain. Road feel is awesome, I am absolutely loving this, I will never go back to power steering. Feels like im driving a race car.
Old 03-12-2009, 12:43 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Hey RevHard, were the fittings 14mm x 1.5 and 16mm x ___? I was just wondering what the exact thread pitch was. I never really trusted the solutions that used an NPT fitting. Most of these cars were built in Japan, where the metric system runs dominant. Makes no sense they'd use NPT or AN sizes...