Notices
Acura Integra All Integra Except ITR

Replacing accessory belts - Do I need to remove motor mount near crank pulley?

Old 11-14-2011, 04:35 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Replacing accessory belts - Do I need to remove motor mount near crank pulley?

Somewhere between my garage and the end of my driveway, one of the accessory belts went and took out the other two so I'm in the process of replacing the alternator, power steering, and compressor belts.

I managed to get the power steering one off pretty easily although I had to cut off the compressor and alternator belts because, despite what the Helms manual says, I can't figure out how to get them off without taking off the motor mount inside the driver's side wheel well near the crank pulley. Am I stupid or do you have to take off the mount? Will the other motor mounts keep the engine where it needs to be?

Also, I was looking at how the alternator and compressor belts are tightened and it seems like it's going to be a colossal bitch to get them tensioned since there's no real way to keep them tight and screw the bolt down at the same time. The power steering one looks to be pretty easy since it uses a wingnut that you can gradually screw down.
Old 11-14-2011, 04:45 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Replacing accessory belts - Do I need to remove motor mount near crank pulley?

yes you'll have to take off the mount. it should only be two bolts on the under side that you need to take off. this way you can just slip the belt over it and put the new belt back on. no need to take everything off.

the alternator, just make sure you have the bottom through bolt in and snug. make sure you can still pivot the alt back and forth. use a long pipe, screw driver, or what not to give you leverage to "tighten the belt on the alt". then tighten the top bolt to spec, then go back down and tighten the bottom.
Old 11-14-2011, 04:56 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Replacing accessory belts - Do I need to remove motor mount near crank pulley?

how do you get at the adjustment bolt for the a/c compressor? is it easier to reach from underneath the car?
Old 11-14-2011, 05:08 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Actually, after assembling some weird combination of 1/2", 3/8", and 1/4" drive sockets, I can get to it. However, it looks like I back it out, put on the belt, and then screw it back in. However, there's a lock nut down in there that seems to be stuck. I guess I'm going to have to weasel a wrench in there somehow.
Old 11-14-2011, 06:37 PM
Honda-Tech Member

So I started taking off that motor mount. The bolts were metric size 14. They were kind of tough to get off so I was using a breaker bar. As I was loosening the one, I heard a snap and then the bolt got very loose. I'm guessing that whatever that bolt was connected to is now no longer connected to the car. So now what do I do? The other bolt is in there just as tight and was sticking pretty badly so I stopped before I broke it also.
Old 11-14-2011, 06:54 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Yeah, the other bolt is completely stuck also. I'm thinking about just trying to break that one out but I'm not sure how I'd go about replacing what is inside the frame there. Any ideas?
Old 11-14-2011, 06:58 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Does anyone know how much of a load that motor mount takes? If it's not much load then I could just get some big screws and jam them into the holes that are there now.
Old 11-25-2011, 11:22 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by MrDomino
Does anyone know how much of a load that motor mount takes? If it's not much load then I could just get some big screws and jam them into the holes that are there now.
THat mount does not support the engine. It is just a torque mount for stability. If you get stiff mounts you usually don't need the torque mounts.

Some people remove them when they tuck their bays. Don't be too worried, your motor wont fall out
Old 11-25-2011, 12:59 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

What year Integra is this? I've never heard of needing to remove the engine mount to replace the accessory drive belts. Timing belt yes, accessory belts no.

Are you trying to remove the belts from up top? If so, that's the wrong place. They come off from underneath.
Old 11-28-2011, 05:14 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

you have to remove (at the very least unbolt) the torque mount to replace the ac belt.
Old 11-28-2011, 02:23 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by kyden
you have to remove (at the very least unbolt) the torque mount to replace the ac belt.
Somebody's going to need to explain this one to me.

I don't have A/C myself, but when I study all the mount points, the shop manual, and the belt and pulley locations, I come to the conclusion that the A/C belt goes nowhere near the upper engine mount. In fact, it is impossible for the A/C belt to cross over the engine mount for the simple reason that the power-steering pump and belt are in the way.

The A/C idler pulley is part of the compressor mount bracket, which is located beneath the engine mount.

I am convinced that the A/C belt is removed from underneath after removing the left wheel and the splash shield, just like the other two belts.
Old 11-28-2011, 03:12 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by TheRealTegger
Somebody's going to need to explain this one to me.

I don't have A/C myself, but when I study all the mount points, the shop manual, and the belt and pulley locations, I come to the conclusion that the A/C belt goes nowhere near the upper engine mount. In fact, it is impossible for the A/C belt to cross over the engine mount for the simple reason that the power-steering pump and belt are in the way.

The A/C idler pulley is part of the compressor mount bracket, which is located beneath the engine mount.

I am convinced that the A/C belt is removed from underneath after removing the left wheel and the splash shield, just like the other two belts.
Jesus christ man its not the engine mount, its the torque mount. I already said it.

The ac compressor bracket AKA torque mount has the ac belt going around it.

Here is a picture of the ac belt taken off, but hanging around the torque mount.

GDAY

Old 11-28-2011, 04:12 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by sebTeggy
Jesus christ man its not the engine mount, its the torque mount. I already said it.
So I'm pretty stupid, then...

Originally Posted by sebTeggy
The ac compressor bracket AKA torque mount has the ac belt going around it.

Here is a picture of the ac belt taken off, but hanging around the torque mount.
Aha! A picture is worth 1,000 sebTeggy-insults.

I had asked the OP what generation Integra he had, but he never replied. I ***-umed a 2nd-gen. Evidently this vehicle is NOT a 2nd-gen. The 2nd-gen does not have this "torque mount".

Plus, the OP kept kept referring to this mount as a "motor mount". And in fact, the Honda shop manual refers to it as a "left front engine mount", not a "torque mount"..