Notices
Acura Integra All Integra Except ITR

Oil Leak coming from in between Block and Transmission. Need some more opinions.

Search this Thread

Old 09-29-2008, 08:12 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Oil Leak coming from in between Block and Transmission. Need some more opinions.

My LS/VTEC is leaking from in between the block and transmission. Here is the run down.

Motor was built and installed in May. A week after startup, an oil leak started to develop around the seam where the trans meets the block. There has NEVER been any oil above the block or coming from anywhere from the head.

So I thought it was my rear main seal. So I replaced that. A week later, same thing. So I thought it was the oil pan gasket. Replaced that. Same thing. So a month later I had my friend who is a mechanic at Acura who builds motors come install a new rear main seal and oil pan gasket. I also thought that maybe the plug on the block behind the flywheel might be leaking. So I checked that and it was not as tight as it should be. So I put some Ultra Grey sealant on the threads and torqued it down.

Well 2 weeks later, and still no leak. The next week I notice the leak is coming back, but VERY small compared to before.

So last weekend during an HPDE event (on the 2nd day) under hard acceleration, I see smoke coming out the back of the car and pull in. The oil leak is now getting worse. I spray it down with brake cleaner and take it out for one more session. Well on the first lap out, and back in VTEC, more smoke, and lots of it. The oil is not being burned through the exhaust, but being sprayed on to the exhaust and burning which is causing the smoke. I pull it to find oil everywhere. It looks like it sprayed out of the breather hole at the top of the transmission because again, there is NO OIL coming from the head or even signs of oil above the top of the block.

I've driven the car a few times this week and oil seems to be leaking pretty good. The oil is leaking out the bottom of the trans from the hole in the flywheel cover. It seems like the oil really starts to spray/leak out when the car is in VTEC.

Does anyone have any ideas what could be wrong? I am going to take the trans off and do some more inspection this week, but just wanted to see if anyone has dealt with this crazy oil leak.

Old 09-29-2008, 11:57 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: Oil Leak coming from in between Block and Transmission. Need some more opinions. (92integraVTECg

bump for an answer, i was gonna say the rear main seal but you got that covered.
Old 09-30-2008, 12:17 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Oil Leak coming from in between Block and Transmission. Need some more opinions. (92integraVTECg

Still could be rear main seal. I had b18a1 where the main seal was leaking, bought a new one from Acura, put it in and a day later started leaking again. Put another in and it solved the problem.

Installation of them is a pain to ensure its in there correctly. Basically need a size 120mm socket to bang it in evenly. I always use the old seal to tap in but still no fun job.
Old 09-30-2008, 06:38 AM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by crxstylin &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Still could be rear main seal. I had b18a1 where the main seal was leaking, bought a new one from Acura, put it in and a day later started leaking again. Put another in and it solved the problem.

Installation of them is a pain to ensure its in there correctly. Basically need a size 120mm socket to bang it in evenly. I always use the old seal to tap in but still no fun job.</TD></TR></TABLE>

I too have had a few issues with putting them in, however the op said he had a dealer put it in.

So it only leaks during high RPM's? Maybe something included in your vtec build was not hooked up right.
Old 09-30-2008, 07:13 AM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by AWD Terror &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

I too have had a few issues with putting them in, however the op said he had a dealer put it in.

So it only leaks during high RPM's? Maybe something included in your vtec build was not hooked up right.</TD></TR></TABLE>

Correct. I've replaced the rear main seal 3 times. I built the motor and everything is hooked up correctly. There is only 3 possible places for the oil to leak from that section: rear main seal, oil pan, plug.

Unless there is a crack in the block, but I don't think/hope it's not that.
Old 09-30-2008, 07:54 AM
I requested a short story for a title.

i think mine might be leakin to EEEK i dont want to change it.

Old 09-30-2008, 08:27 AM
Honda-Tech Member

I had my rear main seal replaced last weekend, and I asked a master tech at Honda if anything else had to be replaced..he said possible the front trans seal. but i had no idea what that was, so i didnt do it.. i dont have any idea of what your problem could be, but Im just throwing that out there..maybe check with your Acura tech..
Old 09-30-2008, 12:09 PM
Honda-Tech Member

So there is NO OIL on your engine. Your saying its all nice and clean, the only oil leak to be found is coming out of the vent hole between tranny and engine? Oil shooting out of your VC breather is a whole other big problem - Valve Guides Loose - Severe blow by.
Old 09-30-2008, 12:11 PM
Honda-Tech Member

How much oil do you have to add to your engine per how many miles? Leak amount per mile?
Old 09-30-2008, 12:30 PM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Sweetsystem &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">So there is NO OIL on your engine. Your saying its all nice and clean, the only oil leak to be found is coming out of the vent hole between tranny and engine? Oil shooting out of your VC breather is a whole other big problem - Valve Guides Loose - Severe blow by. </TD></TR></TABLE>

Nope. Engine is SQUEAKY CLEAN Only my transmission is covered in oil and underneath the transmission. The back of the block is dry, the front is dry, and even the oil pan is dry. It is all on top of the trans out the breather and the bottom where the hole is.

I thought it might be my front main seal on the transmission, but my tranny fluid has not changed in level.

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Sweetsystem &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">How much oil do you have to add to your engine per how many miles? Leak amount per mile?</TD></TR></TABLE>

Well if I don't VTEC then I don't really have to add any, but if I VTEC, then I could be adding up to 1qt per less than 100miles. Just really depends how long I am in VTEC.
Old 09-30-2008, 01:34 PM
Honda-Tech Member

After replacing your rear main seal 3 agravating times. I dont think it is the seal. However there is no other way for oil to get into the clutch/bell housing area unless its thru the rear main seal. The rear main seal does prevent oil leaking into the tranny but its not the type of seal that will hold back high oil pressure. There is an oil channel that the rear main seal is close to. The clearance between the crankshaft and bearing or cap is WAY off or bearing cap is possibly loose. Basically when you hit Vtec the Oil pressure gets really hi. Actually when you are in any high RPM the oil pressure increases. Instead of the oil pressure staying inbetween those tight clearances yours is spraying out the sides along the crank journal and spraying against your main seal and forcing its way out into the tranny. When the oil gets flung around by the flywheel and crank it may leak and also come out the top of the breather hole. So either you didnt put the correct bearings on the main journals or you scratched the crank or damaged the bearing somehow. I think you should drop pan, check clearances on that journal or torque down the bolts.

So what do you guys think?

Check out the phote of the journal.
http://www.sportcompactcarweb.....html
Old 09-30-2008, 04:00 PM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Sweetsystem &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">So there is NO OIL on your engine. Your saying its all nice and clean, the only oil leak to be found is coming out of the vent hole between tranny and engine? Oil shooting out of your VC breather is a whole other big problem - Valve Guides Loose - Severe blow by. </TD></TR></TABLE>

Nope. Engine is SQUEAKY CLEAN Only my transmission is covered in oil and underneath the transmission. The back of the block is dry, the front is dry, and even the oil pan is dry. It is all on top of the trans out the breather and the bottom where the hole is.

I thought it might be my front main seal on the transmission, but my tranny fluid has not changed in level.

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Sweetsystem &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">How much oil do you have to add to your engine per how many miles? Leak amount per mile?</TD></TR></TABLE>

Well if I don't VTEC then I don't really have to add any, but if I VTEC, then I could be adding up to 1qt per less than 100miles. Just really depends how long I am in VTEC.